Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any benefit to "clear" tint on windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new OEM (from Tesla) windshield replacement on my 2012 Model S. I am wondering if there is any practical benefit to having having tinting applied to the windshield, or if the windshield is already coated well enough that it blocks nearly all UV and if adding the tint is pointless. If I did tint it, I would use the tint that is basically clear. I'm not interested in making it look darker; I'm just looking for protection from UV and heat or whatever.

I saw that there were some existing discussions about tinting the windshield, but I didn't see anyone specifically mention what coatings the OEM windshield already has and what additional practical benefit an aftermarket tint could add taking into consideration what the OEM windshield already provides.

It does make a difference. Go with Spectra PhotoSync if you can find a Dealer near you. They have proven tech and can block out more heat than any other film on the market. Prestige Film Technologies do not have a wide range of dealers and that is because of a few important points:

1. From what we have see, they have the strictest of standards in vetting companies to carry their films
2. This film is very expensive, so it may not be appropriate in all markets

Dealer Locator | Prestige

I had it applied to the windows and believe it helps. But, most of the heat seams to come from my pano sunroof, where it wasn't applied. Would it be of benefit to add the clear coating there as well? or would it be redundant?

Does the windshield come out in order to tint it? How on earth do they reach down into leading edge and side pillar areas...?

I think the law around here says no tinting or films on front windshield whatsoever... but if it's clear they'd not notice or ticket you for it.

Curious how film would reduce glare... is it polarized?

Does the windshield come out in order to tint it? How on earth do they reach down into leading edge and side pillar areas...?

I think the law around here says no tinting or films on front windshield whatsoever... but if it's clear they'd not notice or ticket you for it.

Curious how film would reduce glare... is it polarized?

No, the windshield does not come off. Tinters have proper tools to get the film installed.

Here is a comparison between 3M Crystalline 70 to Spectra Photosync 75

We are using the Spectrum Analyzer, which is a patented device that measures infrared radiation in 2 categories: 900-1000nm (middle reading) and at 1700nm (top reading). This tool also utilizes NFRC 300 codes so this is a very legitimate tool.

3M Crystalline
If you reference Crystalline's official IR (infrared radiation) specs, it claims to reduce IR by 97%, which is correct. https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...e-window-film-crystalline-series-brochure.pdf

HOWEVER, the 97% IRR is only at 900-1000nm as tested below and when it is broken up to 2 categories to 1700nm, then the performance of the film drops significantly. At the 1700nm level, it drops to 80% Infrared rejection.

cr 70.jpg

Below we test Spectra Photosync 75 (made by Prestige Film Technologies - www.prestige-films.com )
PhotoSync specs for 75 states 87% Infrared rejection: Spectra PhotoSync® | Prestige

In our test below, the results show that at the 900-1000nm range, Photosync 75 blocks out 96% of infrared and at the 1700nm level, it stays fairly close at 94% infrared rejection (just a 2% variance compared to 17% reduction with 3M).

This is the reason we use Photosync as it is a proven product in its technology, durability, and performance. There is no film on the market that is like it. The close runner up is Prestige's Ceraluxe, which is only slightly behind Photosync. The tech behind Ceraluxe is very similar to Photosync yet the price is about 20% - 25% less.

sph 75.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: olanmills and MikeC
Hey one of your test (top) looks to be done indoors, and the other (bottom) looks to be outside sun shining bright.

That's got to make a difference in readings, even on the same film, no?

Not at all. The Spectrum Analyzer utilizes its own technology to recreate the solar spectrum in any condition. This is what makes this tool uniquely useful in identifying product performance. This unit costs $900 and most tint shops don't carry it due to cost, but for us, we care to test the products we sell at Premier. You can read more about this unit's performance here:

https://www.edtm.com/index.php/full-product-list/ss2450-solar-spectrum-meter

Important note though, if you wear polarized sunglasses, you're going to feel like you're tripping balls due to the rainbow effect. I've been told by the shop that did my tint that it simply can't be avoided, so I didn't do the windshield. Doesn't bother me through the sides or rear glass but don't want to have it messing with me at all times.