Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance Apple play could be a software upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not directly, no. But it's easily found online that any Lightning accessory requires it. Most CarPlay has been implemented using USB so far. There are some Bluetooth versions. I can also tell you that any custom Bluetooth accessory which does not conform to a small set of profiles (mostly just network bridges, HID, streaming audio, and handsfree devices) requires the chip as well (this being from my own personal experience as an engineer researching this a few years ago for a product I was developing). You can see the Bluetooth list at Bluetooth profiles that iOS supports, which shows there is a "WiAP" protocol for devices that conform to MFi.

One thing I found was that Apple added software authentication to HomeKit only last year:

How HomeKit's software authentication works

HomeKit works over either WiFi or Bluetooth. (As an aside, wireless CarPlay negotiates over Bluetooth, and then the data is streamed over WiFi.)

Assuming that CarPlay does require an authentication chip, it's possible Apple would be open to relaxing that requirement at Tesla's request, in order to get CarPlay deployed to the whole fleet. I'm not sure how likely, but possible!

There are some other technical requirements, such as a hardware h.264 decoder with support for a certain profile, and a USB port than can be reversed so the iPhone can be the host and the car can be the device. I have no idea if our cars have those capabilities.

But even if Tesla would just roll out CarPlay to new cars, that would be something. Virtually every other car manufacturer supports CarPlay on at least some models! Tesla, on the other hand, made a fart app.

What about people who don't use Apple? Android phones sell 6 to 1 over Iphone.

On a worldwide basis, that's true. In the US market it's more like half and half.

But when filtered to just Tesla's market it's probably 4:1 in favor of Apple, if not higher. Tesla isn't concerned over those that don't buy Teslas anyway.

Yep @Arizona Willie, @Scott7 is correct for the North America market. ios = ~52%, Android ~ %47. Source. and before you say "Well that's macworld"... also here. :)

Worldwide, it's something like 75% android. but I think the issue there is most of those devices are serving the "commodity" phone market.

I also suspect Tesla owners are VERY heavily slanted iOS.

Of course, it's probably straightforward to support both...

I just don't get it and would love an official response on this one as it's the main reason I haven't actually purchased a Tesla yet. I fail to understand how a "technology company" is so far behind all of the "auto manufacturers" when it comes to integratinging bluetooth audio/entertainment and apple carplay into their cars. A $25K Ford has a better system than a $100K Tesla. I need someone to explain that to me. I won't buy a car in which I would have to pick up my phone to change songs or choose a playlist and the sound isn't as good as the native system. I'm holding out until they catch up. I wonder how many others feel the same. Many people that appreciate beautiful cars also appreciate listening to music of their choice in an easy to manage way on the great sound system offered in that beautiful car. I just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I just don't get it and would love an official response on this one as it's the main reason I haven't actually purchased a Tesla yet. I fail to understand how a "technology company" is so far behind all of the "auto manufacturers" when it comes to integratinging bluetooth audio/entertainment and apple carplay into their cars. A $25K Ford has a better system than a $100K Tesla. I need someone to explain that to me. I won't buy a car in which I would have to pick up my phone to change songs or choose a playlist and the sound isn't as good as the native system. I'm holding out until they catch up. I wonder how many others feel the same. Many people that appreciate beautiful cars also appreciate listening to music of their choice in an easy to manage way on the great sound system offered in that beautiful car. I just doesn't make sense.

Because manufacturers want to control that screen as they feel its a differentiator for them. The lower tier the MFR / car is, the less they care about that. BMW charges a YEARLY charge for carplay for example. They only added it at all due to pressure, but they really dont want anyone to use it (BMWs nav implementation, called iDrive, does most of what carplay does and integrates better into their car.. fancy that).

The same way that most internet ISPs did not want to be a "dumb pipe" and wanted to "add some value" with their landing screen or custom software (think Aol)... until the market would not take that anymore.

If "every car has carplay" then that means every cars Nav / entertainment system is basically the same, and that (nav / entertainment) is one reason choose cars now. Luxury car manufacturers want to make somethinfg "better" (different) so there is some differentiation there.

I am not saying they are successful in that, I am saying thats why they dont like supporting carplay / android auto. Android auto specifically is a lot of extra work (all those different versions of android, differences in how they handle things etc... look at phone as key and the relative success of iOS users, and issues that android users have).

As said, among group of people who buys cars like BMW / Audi / Mercedes / Porsche / Tesla / Lexus etc, I would imagine that iPhones / iOS devices far outnumber android.

TL ; DR . tesla could support both, but likely wont unless they determine at some point its stopping people from buying their cars... which it may or may not do on a large scale basis .."eventually" but not anytime soon.

jjrandorin makes many valid points, but sadly Tesla has been pretty crap at actually making their own native system not be largely garbage.

The sound quality from USB (with good source material) is excellent- but the navigation and "might work some of the time" resume of the USB interface is horrible.... the single music streaming service is...fine... but then they restrict you to crap bitrate because they're paying for the bandwidth... There's 0 support for your phone apart from dumb BT streaming and dialing (and even that kind of sucks- if I have both home and mobile numbers for Bob in my phone I can't use voice to dial either- it just understands the Bob part and forces you to look at, and touch, the one you want on the screen.... and speaking of voice commands they've been saying since the 3 interior was shown they plan to make it so you can control almost everything with voice, and years later you can control almost nothing that way.

And hell, the nav system still can't even handle waypoints like a 15 year old Garmin can, let alone more "complex" GPS functions like traveling salesman solutions.

It's a bizarre total package where often you are amazed at the LIVING IN THE FUTURE awesomeness of the car, and then it's interrupted by the occasional "How does this thing not do crap much older and lower end products have done perfectly for years?" moments.

Because manufacturers want to control that screen as they feel its a differentiator for them. The lower tier the MFR / car is, the less they care about that. BMW charges a YEARLY charge for carplay for example. They only added it at all due to pressure, but they really dont want anyone to use it (BMWs nav implementation, called iDrive, does most of what carplay does and integrates better into their car.. fancy that).

We own several GM vehicles - and I don't even think it's possible to buy ANY GM vehicle - from the Chevy Spark up to the Escalade without CarPlay. Yet, GM tries to differentiate itself with their display - for example, Cadillac's entertainment system.

I find it's a pretty good mesh - I use the "native" Cadillac tools where appropriate and CarPlay for other things.

I certainly like their implementation better than BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, Acura or any of the other makes I've driven recently. The sole exception may be Lincoln... theirs is quite good indeed.

I really wish Tesla would get on the stick here. I get the "we're gonna be better" schtick but sometimes, I just want freakin' Google Maps.

The same way that most internet ISPs did not want to be a "dumb pipe" and wanted to "add some value" with their landing screen or custom software (think Aol)... until the market would not take that anymore.

If "every car has carplay" then that means every cars Nav / entertainment system is basically the same, and that (nav / entertainment) is one reason choose cars now. Luxury car manufacturers want to make somethinfg "better" (different) so there is some differentiation there.

I am not saying they are successful in that, I am saying thats why they dont like supporting carplay / android auto. Android auto specifically is a lot of extra work (all those different versions of android, differences in how they handle things etc... look at phone as key and the relative success of iOS users, and issues that android users have).

As said, among group of people who buys cars like BMW / Audi / Mercedes / Porsche / Tesla / Lexus etc, I would imagine that iPhones / iOS devices far outnumber android.

TL ; DR . tesla could support both, but likely wont unless they determine at some point its stopping people from buying their cars... which it may or may not do on a large scale basis .."eventually" but not anytime soon.
BMW is a perfect example. My BMW offers me the option of CarPlay or using the native BMW system where I can still scroll through all of my music using the idrive and have full functionality of playing music from my phone because of the same basic bluetooth integration offered by every other automobile sold in the United States. At this point, everyone want's options as there are so many ways to do things. Tesla is missing the boat becasue they aren't even offering the basic bluetooth integration that auto manufacturers have been offering for years.

If you implement one you might as well implement both (AC and AA). If GM can do it on their econoboxes certainly Tesla can. But, I don't think Tesla has ever indicated it has any interest in supporting AA or AC, so I don't expect things to change anytime soon.

However, I find since my phone is always connected to BT in the car, I can pretty easily use voice commands to bring up the phone's assistant and have it play specific songs, playlists, podcasts, etc as well as read and reply to texts. Granted, if I have the volume up playing music, I do need to quickly use the scroll wheel to lower the volume beforehand.

If you implement one you might as well implement both (AC and AA). If GM can do it on their econoboxes certainly Tesla can. But, I don't think Tesla has ever indicated it has any interest in supporting AA or AC, so I don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Not by name. But Elon did say he say something about display mirroring a couple of years ago, and CarPlay/Android Auto are essentially glorified display mirroring systems.

Reactions: roguenode
Not by name. But Elon did say he say something about display mirroring a couple of years ago, and CarPlay/Android Auto are essentially glorified display mirroring systems.
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

But it's easily found online that any Lightning accessory requires it. Most CarPlay has been implemented using USB so far.
Right. Lightning needs it in the Lightning cable, supplied by you, not the car manufacturer. By the time you get to the USB end of the Lightning cable, there's nothing special. So, you need the appropriate Lightning cable to plug in, but likely nothing on the car end of things, since it's presenting USB, not Lightning.

Last time I looked into this -- a couple years ago I think -- the word on the street was that nobody had CarPlay working on top of Linux, it was all QNX and maybe VxWorks, because that was what most car headunits were running. If still true, that would presumably be a serious impediment, since of course Tesla uses Linux. And of course there's the other impediment, which is that as far as anyone can tell, nobody at Tesla GAF about infotainment anyway. It's too bad, last week I rented a Kia Soul and in certain limited ways the infotainment (CarPlay) was more usable than my Model S or my wife's Model 3. I was still glad to get back to my S of course, but, really Tesla?

jjrandorin makes many valid points, but sadly Tesla has been pretty crap at actually making their own native system not be largely garbage.

The sound quality from USB (with good source material) is excellent- but the navigation and "might work some of the time" resume of the USB interface is horrible.... the single music streaming service is...fine... but then they restrict you to crap bitrate because they're paying for the bandwidth... There's 0 support for your phone apart from dumb BT streaming and dialing (and even that kind of sucks- if I have both home and mobile numbers for Bob in my phone I can't use voice to dial either- it just understands the Bob part and forces you to look at, and touch, the one you want on the screen.... and speaking of voice commands they've been saying since the 3 interior was shown they plan to make it so you can control almost everything with voice, and years later you can control almost nothing that way.

And hell, the nav system still can't even handle waypoints like a 15 year old Garmin can, let alone more "complex" GPS functions like traveling salesman solutions.

It's a bizarre total package where often you are amazed at the LIVING IN THE FUTURE awesomeness of the car, and then it's interrupted by the occasional "How does this thing not do crap much older and lower end products have done perfectly for years?" moments.
The way to dial "Bob" with your voice is to have 2 separate entities on you phone, like "Bob Work" and "Bob Cell." Maybe "bob" needs to keep his cell handy and answer it.

The way to dial "Bob" with your voice is to have 2 separate entities on you phone, like "Bob Work" and "Bob Cell." Maybe "bob" needs to keep his cell handy and answer it.

Oddly, Siri has no trouble understanding "Call bob home" and "call bob work" when they're simply 2 different entries under "Bob" in my contact list.

The Tesla- not so much- despite having access to the same contact list.

I just joined TMC. There seems to be a lot of negativity in the postings. Is that because only those with a complaint are like to post? I'v had my M3 Dual Motor for 6 months. I still get a little thrill when I get behind the wheel.
Most, if not all, Model 3 owners enjoy their Model 3. It would, however, make for a rather boring conversation if a site was composed of comments dedicated to congratulating Tesla on their fine accomplishments. After all, there are issues with every car.

But surely you have found the media player and nav support on the 3 disappointing. The virtual lack of USB music support and the lousy traffic routing are particularly irritating.

In fact, I have taken to not using the nav on my Model 3, and just relying on Waze from my Samsung. When driving in LA, I have never had the Waze app and Tesla nav actually agree on a route. Mostly, the Tesla nav is a time waster.

Reactions: BrakeDome