Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance Apple play could be a software upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really enjoy Apple play on my Accord and feel like I’m going to miss it on my M3. Any chance it could be a software upgrade in the future?

Tesla has invested in their in car experience. One can imagine that vehicles are going to be an amazing opportunity for software services. I wouldn't be surprised if they have long term plans to introduce an SDK for developers to create apps for their in car experience. This model has turned into a great walled garden for apple and the lessons learned from them could apply very nicely to Tesla.

Only the future will tell.

I really enjoy Apple play on my Accord and feel like I’m going to miss it on my M3. Any chance it could be a software upgrade in the future?
Just for the record, it's called CarPlay.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have long term plans to introduce an SDK for developers to create apps for their in car experience.
They originally did have such plans, and shelved them. In earlier versions of Tesla's software, there was a separate Apps pane under Settings, and it had plenty of space for additions (I think Nav and Calendar were the only two apps in that pane.) Then about 3 years ago, Elon specifically stated they were not going to pursue the SDK approach, and were looking instead at possible mirroring of the display with apps running on your phone.

Tesla is moving away from an SDK and instead planning to allow app mirroring from iPhones to center consoles
Tesla SDK likely a no-go, targets iOS and Android app mirroring instead

Don't recall any update on the topic since then, but I think security considerations are probably a big factor in not having 3rd party app code running directly on the MCU.

Pretty much no. CarPlay devices have to have an Apple authenticator chip ("MFI" or "Made for iPhone/iPod"). It's incredibly unlikely that Tesla has this chip in the MCU, just biding its time until they one day decide to write the software to use it.

Reactions: Runt8
Tesla has invested in their in car experience.

Yeah they really haven't though.

There's been little to no major improvements in infotainment for years now. The USB interface is only marginally less of a joke than it used to be, the choice of streaming services exceedingly limited and generally low quality bitrate (especially in the 3), and "resume" still seems to be utterly hit or miss when you get back in the car regardless of source (or even remembering the last source). Even the web browser is of pretty marginal use/stability.

The only real "improvements" in entertainment features have been the easter eggs like atari games and the fart generator.

T
One can imagine that vehicles are going to be an amazing opportunity for software services. I wouldn't be surprised if they have long term plans to introduce an SDK for developers to create apps for their in car experience. This model has turned into a great walled garden for apple and the lessons learned from them could apply very nicely to Tesla.

As noted they're not only not working on this, they aren't even considering this anymore.

I agree with this. Technically possible... likelyhood very very unlikely.

I originally thought the same, but the more I think about it, to stay competitive, I feel Tesla will have no choice but to integrate CarPlay (and android auto) at some point. Every major automaker that will be coming out with electric cars will undoubtedly include CarPlay (and android auto), if not as standard, at least as an option.

And as more states make it a primary offensive to use your phone while driving, new cars without good smartphone integration will likely be a dealbreaker for many.

Reactions: Scott7
I originally thought the same, but the more I think about it, to stay competitive, I feel Tesla will have no choice but to integrate CarPlay (and android auto) at some point.

Carplay/android auto is now standard or at least optional in most cars from nearly every car vendor (and has been at least optional for years at this point... Carplay turns 5 years old next week)

Tesla hasn't appeared to indicate the slightest interest whatsoever in that entire time.

And as more states make it a primary offensive to use your phone while driving, new cars without good smartphone integration will likely be a dealbreaker for many.

FWIW only 15 states actually ban all hand-held phone use while driving (though nearly all ban texting)

What about people who don't use Apple? Android phones sell 6 to 1 over Iphone.

That would be a great poll question for Tesla owners. What is your primary phone OS? I'd be surprised if IOS didn't come out on top. Android is by far more popular worldwide, but among those with higher incomes, I'd guess IOS is more dominant. It really doesn't make a difference, it's just a hunch of mine. :)

Reactions: is2scooby
Pretty much no. CarPlay devices have to have an Apple authenticator chip ("MFI" or "Made for iPhone/iPod"). It's incredibly unlikely that Tesla has this chip in the MCU, just biding its time until they one day decide to write the software to use it.

Do you have a source for that requirement? I couldn't find anything about CarPlay requiring a special chip. Tesla would need to apply for MFi certification, but I know not everything requiring MFi certification requires a special chip. (For instance: HomeKit.)

The full specs aren't available without joining the MFi program, but the presentations that Apple published list hardware requirements without mentioning an authentication chip.

Do you have a source for that requirement? I couldn't find anything about CarPlay requiring a special chip. Tesla would need to apply for MFi certification, but I know not everything requiring MFi certification requires a special chip. (For instance: HomeKit.)

The full specs aren't available without joining the MFi program, but the presentations that Apple published list hardware requirements without mentioning an authentication chip.
Not directly, no. But it's easily found online that any Lightning accessory requires it. Most CarPlay has been implemented using USB so far. There are some Bluetooth versions. I can also tell you that any custom Bluetooth accessory which does not conform to a small set of profiles (mostly just network bridges, HID, streaming audio, and handsfree devices) requires the chip as well (this being from my own personal experience as an engineer researching this a few years ago for a product I was developing). You can see the Bluetooth list at Bluetooth profiles that iOS supports, which shows there is a "WiAP" protocol for devices that conform to MFi.