TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any chance of a 75D -> 100D Battery Pack Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MXWing, Jan 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Wondering if there was any chance of a future retrofit of delivered cars with 75D battery packs to the 100D?

Not an open letter to whine, just curious. ;)

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Technically possible but practically no.

• Like x 1
  3. Nev&Co

Nev&Co X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016

I think it's not since the motors are different between the two. If battery is the pure difference then it may be possible.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I thought 75D and 100D had same motor. I know that the Performance model (P100D) has a larger rear motor.

However, I don't see the 100D on Tesla.com right now. I wonder if it was a premature update to the website.

5. Vizir

Vizir Member

its there. choose the 90D then it shows you option to upgrade to 100D.

6. outie

outie Active Member

Tesla most likely wants you to trade-in / get a new car than offering a retrofit option, at least in the foreseeable future. It might be a possible option down the road when more competitions are around and they can't drive new sales.

7. ab26

ab26 Member

I am pretty sure its possible. Motors are the same. It's more about whether it would make financial sense.

8. jonman

jonman Member

I like this idea! I wonder how much Tesla would charge for such a thing?

9. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I think that's the gig. It *might* make financial sense but in all likelihood the additional features available on new cars by the time you're ready to upgrade would make a trade and purchase more sensible. You'd basically be sinking a ton of money into an older model year car without any of the new features expected of a car of that capacity (AP3, HUD, or whatever is to come). If you're talking about doing it right now, I doubt the option would even be available until there was a surplus of 100KwH packs out there, if ever.

10. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

For me personally, it could make a lot of sense. I have a MX60D. I don't think I want to drop 9k to go from 60-75. But something like 20k to go from 60D to 100D would be mighty tempting.

• Like x 1
  11. vkathuria

vkathuria Member

I am hoping to do this in 15 years when my 75D pack will probably need to be replaced anyway.

• Like x 1
  12. Nev&Co

Nev&Co X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016

Thanks for clarifying and I was thinking at the performance level u know :)

13. outie

outie Active Member

In 5 years when your car is 50% or so of its original value, would you still drop 20k to do the upgrade?

14. Bishop

Bishop Member

now i dont believe this for one bit ... but i had a service tech once tell me that it would require a suspension change not entirely sure how be it as they were all air suspension and tesla more or less unified parts across the whole line

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I would have to think it clearly, but 20k towards a different car would look more sensible after 5 years. If it was the price difference between a 60D and 100D (and some premium I imagine) I'd probably do it now.

16. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

It wouldn't make since to Tesla. The 100 battery pack is much more expensive than the 75 to produce. Therefore, if they produced a 100batterybpack but software limited to 75 at a reduced rate then Tesla would still need a significantly higher asking price as opposed to the current 75. I could possibly see them reducing the 100 to 90 when/if Tesla fazes out the 90 pack. Although, at that point there most likely will be a larger pack than the 100.

17. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

i don't think they will do a software limited 90D. Anyone that is willing to pay for 90D price, can pay the 100D price. The purpose of software limiting is to drop the low end price down enough to attract someone that would not have otherwise bought a Tesla. I think the only software limiting you will see is at the low end. Now, at some point they might come out with an 80kwh battery based on the same architecture as the 100D. That would provide enough differentiation with a better range rating at the regular low end.

And yes, the 100D at some point will probably become the mid range option when they come out with a 130kwh battery.

18. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

I'd consider it; Keeping a car a long period of time, even through costly repairs is more frugal/cost effective than to buy a new car every five years. I plan on keeping the MS, the MX and our subsequent M☰ up to the 8 year warranty or until repairs are not possible.

19. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Here is something to consider, though:

Tesla has to offer replacement batteries for the current cars in the future as well. What will they offer for the 75D if/once 75D is replaced by something else in the line-up? Or what will they offer as the replacement for 70D's today? It would probably not make sense to produce replacement batteries for these models, but rather offer the latest equivalent instead. So, while I am not sure a 100D upgrade is in the books, some upgrade upon next battery swap in some years time seems possible/plausible.

After all, Tesla has done similar for the Roadster...

• Like x 1
  20. onthelistbaby

onthelistbaby New Member

I love this idea since I bought my X 75D right before they got rid of the tax break here in Hong Kong and I'm kicking myself for getting the 75D instead of the P100D. Unfortunately, that car is now US$295,000 the way mine is specced and the 100D is US$215,000. I paid about US$105,000 for mine and it's now US$187,000.
    At 300K vs the 100K I paid it could totally make sense to upgrade the battery and even the motors if I could get someone to do it. It would be amazing to pull a bat and/or motor out of a totaled car. I wonder if that is possible.