Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance of a 75D -> 100D Battery Pack Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla most likely wants you to trade-in / get a new car than offering a retrofit option, at least in the foreseeable future. It might be a possible option down the road when more competitions are around and they can't drive new sales.

I am pretty sure its possible. Motors are the same. It's more about whether it would make financial sense.
I think that's the gig. It *might* make financial sense but in all likelihood the additional features available on new cars by the time you're ready to upgrade would make a trade and purchase more sensible. You'd basically be sinking a ton of money into an older model year car without any of the new features expected of a car of that capacity (AP3, HUD, or whatever is to come). If you're talking about doing it right now, I doubt the option would even be available until there was a surplus of 100KwH packs out there, if ever.

now i dont believe this for one bit ... but i had a service tech once tell me that it would require a suspension change not entirely sure how be it as they were all air suspension and tesla more or less unified parts across the whole line

In 5 years when your car is 50% or so of its original value, would you still drop 20k to do the upgrade?

I would have to think it clearly, but 20k towards a different car would look more sensible after 5 years. If it was the price difference between a 60D and 100D (and some premium I imagine) I'd probably do it now.

It wouldn't make since to Tesla. The 100 battery pack is much more expensive than the 75 to produce. Therefore, if they produced a 100batterybpack but software limited to 75 at a reduced rate then Tesla would still need a significantly higher asking price as opposed to the current 75. I could possibly see them reducing the 100 to 90 when/if Tesla fazes out the 90 pack. Although, at that point there most likely will be a larger pack than the 100.

It wouldn't make since to Tesla. The 100 battery pack is much more expensive than the 75 to produce. Therefore, if they produced a 100batterybpack but software limited to 75 at a reduced rate then Tesla would still need a significantly higher asking price as opposed to the current 75. I could possibly see them reducing the 100 to 90 when/if Tesla fazes out the 90 pack. Although, at that point there most likely will be a larger pack than the 100.

i don't think they will do a software limited 90D. Anyone that is willing to pay for 90D price, can pay the 100D price. The purpose of software limiting is to drop the low end price down enough to attract someone that would not have otherwise bought a Tesla. I think the only software limiting you will see is at the low end. Now, at some point they might come out with an 80kwh battery based on the same architecture as the 100D. That would provide enough differentiation with a better range rating at the regular low end.

And yes, the 100D at some point will probably become the mid range option when they come out with a 130kwh battery.

In 5 years when your car is 50% or so of its original value, would you still drop 20k to do the upgrade?

I'd consider it; Keeping a car a long period of time, even through costly repairs is more frugal/cost effective than to buy a new car every five years. I plan on keeping the MS, the MX and our subsequent M☰ up to the 8 year warranty or until repairs are not possible.

Here is something to consider, though:

Tesla has to offer replacement batteries for the current cars in the future as well. What will they offer for the 75D if/once 75D is replaced by something else in the line-up? Or what will they offer as the replacement for 70D's today? It would probably not make sense to produce replacement batteries for these models, but rather offer the latest equivalent instead. So, while I am not sure a 100D upgrade is in the books, some upgrade upon next battery swap in some years time seems possible/plausible.

After all, Tesla has done similar for the Roadster...

Reactions: vkathuria
I love this idea since I bought my X 75D right before they got rid of the tax break here in Hong Kong and I'm kicking myself for getting the 75D instead of the P100D. Unfortunately, that car is now US$295,000 the way mine is specced and the 100D is US$215,000. I paid about US$105,000 for mine and it's now US$187,000.
At 300K vs the 100K I paid it could totally make sense to upgrade the battery and even the motors if I could get someone to do it. It would be amazing to pull a bat and/or motor out of a totaled car. I wonder if that is possible.