Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good tips to get a good FSD score plus new requirements to get FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is there any information that I'm not seeing about getting into the FSD beta? I know a SS of 91+, set follow to max (though it still tags you when people go around you and merge in front of you so really irrelevant), don't use autopilot at lights as it sometimes ask to take control, dinging you, and put chill mode on. Any other pointers or info on getting in? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: jiehan
Where did you see that FSD Beta only required a Safety Score of 91? I'm not sure what the minimum is, but I thought it was higher.

I find it very hard to avoid getting dinged for aggressive turning or hard braking during normal safe driving. I think those measurements are too sensitive. I don't expect anyone in the FSD Beta queue will get anything until the new 10.69 build goes out to the entire beta fleet. We're still waiting (safety score 95-96).

So is there any information that I'm not seeing about getting into the FSD beta? I know a SS of 91+, set follow to max (though it still tags you when people go around you and merge in front of you so really irrelevant),
If I am understanding your comment correctly, then you should know If you are on AP, you do not get dinged for cars pulling in front of you. That only happens when you are driving off of AP.

The safety score is based on a 30-day sliding window, you need to maintain the score and have at least 100 miles. The easiest or most painful way is to use AP all the time, however, this is not a ticket to get into FSD beta, it depends on when the gate is open again to accept new requesters into the program, even if the gate is open again, that doesn't mean everyone fits the SS criteria will automatically get it. If Elon's statement is actually true that the FSD beta will be released to everyone by the end of the year, then I am not sure whether they will add more beta testers till then...

With respect to hard braking, depending on which model you have it will ding you differently. See my post here:

So is there any information that I'm not seeing about getting into the FSD beta? I know a SS of 91+, set follow to max (though it still tags you when people go around you and merge in front of you so really irrelevant), don't use autopilot at lights as it sometimes ask to take control, dinging you, and put chill mode on. Any other pointers or info on getting in? Thanks in advance.
AI, Autopilot, & Autonomous/FSD

Where did you see that FSD Beta only required a Safety Score of 91? I'm not sure what the minimum is, but I thought it was higher.

I find it very hard to avoid getting dinged for aggressive turning or hard braking during normal safe driving. I think those measurements are too sensitive. I don't expect anyone in the FSD Beta queue will get anything until the new 10.69 build goes out to the entire beta fleet. We're still waiting (safety score 95-96).
On a few different forums outside of this one like reddit, performance forums, and such. And that's fair. I'm at 95 because of following and it's set at 7.

I beg to differ. I got dinged earlier because a car merged in front and slammed on breaks. Following too close and hard breaking. I about cried
Ok I understand your point I think, but are you SURE you were in AP at the time because that is not the way it works. AP does not penalize when people pull in front of you. I'm 100% sure about that. In fact, a programmer at the factory told me several months ago when I was in on the safety score that if someone pulls in front of me that I should double-click the stalk to immediately put it in AP so I would not get dinged. It worked. And I think you mean braking, not breaking :)

Last edited:
I've also read from several others that there is a 3-second grace period after you disengage AP/NoA before something is counted against you. For example, if you are on AP and someone pulls in front of you, and you don't feel comfortable with AP stopping in time (it takes time to get used to the system), you can press the brake pedal (which disengages AP/NoA) and slow down rapidly - as long as you don't take more than 3 seconds before letting up on the brake.

Can someone else confirm my statement?

Here's my experience from a while ago that worked for me. Not sure if it would still work today, but I don't see why not...

If your goal is to make it into the FSD Beta program with a high average safety score, here's what to do:

* Take late night freeway or empty road drives; perhaps a loop. 10-20-30 miles. Go slow in the right lane, leave plenty of space, don't tailgate, get ready to let off the accelerator if someone looks like they're going to cut in, etc. Do these "clean drives" once or more per day. This will build up high scores. Once you have several of these under your belt, it builds up a higher score momentum or average.
* If something happens during one of those drives and you get an audible signal or warning (or you think something happened that will lower your score and affect your average), when convenient reboot the car and do another drive when it wakes up. That will delete the last session and the infraction won't be counted or lower your score.
* Rinse and repeat. Keep your scores high per drive and your average score will also stay high...

I beg to differ. I got dinged earlier because a car merged in front and slammed on breaks. Following too close and hard breaking. I about cried
Based on other threads where a lot of folks got unsafe following dings due to merging onto freeway without AP engaged. Later someone cuts in front of them and they mistakenly think that is when they go the ding. So be careful on merging without AP engaged.

Also, I found once I am on the freeway and a comfortable distance behind someone (about 2 seconds, but less than 3) I would disengage AP for a while to rack up some favorable following distance points. That way if you happen to get a ding it does not have much impact.

I've also read from several others that there is a 3-second grace period after you disengage AP/NoA before something is counted against you. For example, if you are on AP and someone pulls in front of you, and you don't feel comfortable with AP stopping in time (it takes time to get used to the system), you can press the brake pedal (which disengages AP/NoA) and slow down rapidly - as long as you don't take more than 3 seconds before letting up on the brake.
Great point to make. Yes there is a grace period after disengaging of almost 3 seconds. I forgot about that. The trick that I was never able to manage was to let that car get far enough ahead of me to prevent getting a ding from being too close. I got in the habit of just letting the car brake. I still have the safety score on my newer car, but FSD beta on the older one.

Reactions: Dewg
Here's my experience from a while ago that worked for me. Not sure if it would still work today, but I don't see why not...

If your goal is to make it into the FSD Beta program with a high average safety score, here's what to do:

* Take late night freeway or empty road drives; perhaps a loop. 10-20-30 miles. Go slow in the right lane, leave plenty of space, don't tailgate, get ready to let off the accelerator if someone looks like they're going to cut in, etc. Do these "clean drives" once or more per day. This will build up high scores. Once you have several of these under your belt, it builds up a higher score momentum or average.
* If something happens during one of those drives and you get an audible signal or warning (or you think something happened that will lower your score and affect your average), when convenient reboot the car and do another drive when it wakes up. That will delete the last session and the infraction won't be counted or lower your score.
* Rinse and repeat. Keep your scores high per drive and your average score will also stay high...
I found so long as I always have AP engaged on freeway I never got dings, no matter how many people cut in front of me. Note, you really need to make sure you get 100 miles of AP driving, otherwise you will not get into Beta. Not sure if that is 100 over 30 days, but I do know it you won't get it without it, neither of my cars had 100 miles in 30 days, and neither got it. Then I drove both +100 miles AP and they got it a few hours later (this was during the last Beta push).

Not sure when you tried the reboot. I have never had success trying to erase problems with reboot. I think they fixed this workaround earlier this year.

Agree with just trying to get high scores overall to increase the average.

Summary of what I did that helped keep score in 98+ range:
1 - Mostly drive AP on freeway (reason I did not have 100 miles AP before is I had very little freeway driving the preceding 30 days)
2 - Be extra careful when merging onto freeway to ensure I don't get unsafe following
3 - When on freeway do some non AP following to rack up some good scoring
4 - Never use AP when not on freeway. I found too many times I had to suddenly brake for a pedestrian or a car pulling in front of me and got a hard brake event (I don't think the 3 second rule actually works??, or perhaps I took more than 3 seconds to come to stop?)
5 - Be very careful how you brake. On Model S refresh never hit the brake pedal. This does mean you can't go down steep hills, since the car will never stop or take too long to stop for red light (see my other post). So plan your route accordingly. I did not have this issue with 2018 Model S.
6 - Set FCW warning to early. If you get an early FCW you most likely got a ding. I had it set to medium before and would get FCW without any warnings, so did not know when I got them. Turns out it was caused by trees in the middle of the road near my house, on a bend. After I figured that out I would go past them slower and closer to the bike lane. No more FCWs!

As others have stated, the door to FSD doesn’t seem to be open right now no matter your SS, and based on Musk’s tweets, the next opening will just be the flood gates of FSDb wide release to all that have purchased or subscribe to FSD Capability package.

With that said, getting/keeping a high score is possible, and people have various anecdotal reasons for why they don’t believe Tesla, but many of us have successfully achieved/kept a SS of 100 by just following Tesla’s own instructions: Safety Score Beta. Namely, “Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.” That’s a straight quote from Tesla linked above and many of our experiences confirm it’s true. I had many people cut between while on a highway but in AP, or AP braked hard, etc. and no dings happened. That’s how I got and kept a SS of 100 and got into the first batch while driving like a grandpa for 2 weeks. Also, unless they changed it, the minimum requirement was 100 miles over 7 days. The 30 days number is just how SS is calculated (i.e. - dings and accumulated miles from 31 days ago are no longer used to calculate your SS), no matter if you’re opted in for FSDb or not (like for those that are opted into SS to affect their Tesla Insurance premiums).

From those instructions, a few tips are logically implied:
1) When safe and confident in the environment, use AP whenever possible. This prevents so many dings from affecting you.
2) Chill mode doesn’t matter because forward acceleration doesn’t matter, just backward and lateral acceleration. Perhaps using chill mode would help avoid unnecessarily quickly getting to a speed that would result in “hard braking” or “aggressive turning” of the 5 Safety Factors, but otherwise this shouldn’t change much.
3) Set follow to minimum, that way you’ll hear FCW alerts more often and at the slightest sign of one. SS uses medium/average, so if you’re hearing the alerts more often then you’ll adjust before a ding is actually applied to your SS.
4) As others have stated, more miles in a day weights that day’s score more, so if you’re on a highway while following someone about 2 seconds behind (SS uses 1-3 seconds following distance), and no one is in adjacent lanes that might change lanes to cut in between you and the vehicle you’re following, disengage AP and drive manually to rack up miles that will be used to bring up your SS. As adjacent lanes traffic approached from behind or was passed by the vehicle I was following, I found myself re-engaging AP to prevent any cutting in between dings, then disengaging AP again when the environment was “safe from SS dingers”.
5) When I had a ding/bad SS drive, I’d go for a drive in the evening or wherever/whenever there was less traffic on the highway to find a vehicle to follow manually using the tip above. Note: while driving on the highway looking for a vehicle to follow, use AP a lot to avoid other dings from counting against you.

Be extra careful when merging onto freeway to ensure I don't get unsafe following
Good advice. This was my nemesis, especially in the early stages of freeway entry/exit. Turn on AP as soon as you get on the entrance ramp and don't disable on exit, at least until going < 50 MPH. Lots of cars doing different speeds here and it's very easy to get the unsafe following.
When on freeway do some non AP following to rack up some good scoring
Only if you need it due to previous unsafe following dings the same day, otherwise it's too easy to screw up. If someone merges in front of you, be ready to engage AP and then set it up again.
Never use AP when not on freeway.
In my experience it's exactly the opposite as AP miles only help. It's those freeway non-AP times that hurt. Of course there will be plenty of times when AP can't handle it and needs to be disengaged - that's where you need to be careful.
Chill mode doesn’t matter
Right but I think low Regen does. At least I feel like it gives me better control over braking when trying to keep a good score.

Couple of others:

Don't take 90-degree turns faster than 18 MPH.

If you do get a ding, mitigate it that same day. If an unsafe following ding, drive a while on the freeway behind someone on TACC with a follow distance of 7. If aggressive turning, find a neighborhood with lots of turns and drive a while - cul de sacs are good. If unsafe braking, again drive around a safe neighborhood, accelerate to 25 MPH, slow to 5 MPH, repeat many times. It must be done the same day as the dings. Stop and check your score to ensure you are getting the desired results.

Just my opinion, of course. Nothing official.

The safety score is based on a 30-day sliding window, you need to maintain the score and have at least 100 miles. The easiest or most painful way is to use AP all the time, however, this is not a ticket to get into FSD beta, it depends on when the gate is open again to accept new requesters into the program, even if the gate is open again, that doesn't mean everyone fits the SS criteria will automatically get it. If Elon's statement is actually true that the FSD beta will be released to everyone by the end of the year, then I am not sure whether they will add more beta testers till then...
I wish I could believe Elon... Robotacos I mean taxis by 2019 before covid existed. But we'll see. Good point about the rolling window and my AP has cost me points. I'm doing better off AP. I'm at a 93 because of AP 💀