Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A message will appear on-screen but you do not need to attend to it.
how do you know for sure that's what the message is though? I've had plenty of different messages pop up and you only know what it says if you read it, right? Camera blocked; cruise unavailable (oddly while it is actively engaged); power limited (that wasn't fun)... In the moment, I'm not going to think "ok, me peripheral detected a 45mm long message in this location, so that's likely the nag and can be dealt with by changing radio stations". No, my peripheral sees an alert and diverts my attention. As it should... it is an "alert", afterall. It is DESIGNED to take your attention off the road. And for me, it is effective.

Criticize my driving or my biology or whatever, but after three years I don't think practice or logic is going to fix this. Lol. I want it gone and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I thought there might besbe reason I might be missing, but I guess not.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Should model 3 abandon nags for eye tracking using the camera?

Food for debate...
is it known if that's possible? Assuming it is... only if it is close to 100% effective. There are so many variables!

AP is just another driver aid. I really don't see the need to Nanny it. We don't have a nag to remind us to be ready to brake. If you have cruise control on, there isn't a sensor to detect if your foot is ready to take over. Tesla is happy to put us in a vehicle that can FAR surpass any speed limit and there's no nag (other than by the flashing blue lights in your rear view).

How about a more comfortable user seat position for the highways that allows you to rest your knee on the steering wheel? It can be more comfortable than wiggling the steering wheel when it is not necessary.
Just move the seat all the way back and kick your feet up on the nice big table that's where the dash would be. Optimum comfort and you're already posing for passersby to make viral YouTube videos of. and if something comes up ahead you need to deal with, you can just grab the wheel with your toes. Right?

I guess it depends on the person/situation. For me, there is no "good reason" for the nag to be there.
You have to remember that the reason there is a nag is because a few morons did stupid things (like sitting in the backseat while the car was traveling) and posted the videos. Tesla really the the choice of putting in the nag or having the entire system turned off due to legislation. Like usual a few jerks ruined it for everyone.

I did only recently discover that was an option, but it doesn't really address anything. It is the nag itself that's the main problem

Hold the wheel correctly.

No nags AND it insures you're safely ready to steer the car if needed as the system requires.

is it known if that's possible? .

it's not.

Camera is wrong type, lacking needed supporting HW, and in the wrong location, for doing that job.

I read somewhere that the nag is even more frequent in the latest firmware which makes me reluctant to upgrade.

The nag is both more frequent, and less frequent, and about the same, with every software update- depending who you ask.

The car is also faster, or slower, or about the same with every software update- depending who you ask.

The car also lost range, gained range, or was about the same withe very software update- depending who you ask.

Humans are notoriously terrible calibration and measuring tools.

Disagree. I experience nags all the time while I have my hand on the wheel the way I have for 40 years of no-accident driving.

That doesn't mean you're holding the wheel correctly for the AP system.

I've owned a lot of different cars- they all had some different-from-different-car way of holding the wheel that was better or not- depending on a slew of factors like wheel size, number and type of spokes, and adjust-ability, controls on wheel if any (type and location), where the door armrest was, and so on.... I don't hold the wheel in my Tesla the exact same way/place I held the one in my Lexus, or my Supra, or my Impala, or any other car.

My drive to work in my Tesla is ~35 miles...one way. 95% of it with AP on. I very rarely see a nag the entire way once I learned the best comfortable positions for holding the wheel on this specific car.

once I learned the best comfortable positions for holding the wheel on this specific car.
Ha, I'm curious to know what that is! It is probably your method for defeating the nag. Because there really is no "depends on the car" best way to hold a steering wheel, at least according to every driving instructor ever. With two hands on the wheel in one of the generally accepted "proper" positions, I get the nag. Maybe yours is more sensitive than mine, and maybe you've mimicked the orange that mimics your hand... but I absolutely don't accept that I'm getting nagged because I'm driving wrong.

Reactions: camthehombre
Ha, I'm curious to know what that is! It is probably your method for defeating the nag. Because there really is no "depends on the car" best way to hold a steering wheel, at least according to every driving instructor ever. With two hands on the wheel in one of the generally accepted "proper" positions, I get the nag. Maybe yours is more sensitive than mine, and maybe you've mimicked the orange that mimics your hand... but I absolutely don't accept that I'm getting nagged because I'm driving wrong.

No he or she just found the most comfortable position while still being able to take over. If this was a small car like a Honda Civic the position would be more than likely different than if it was a Cadillac Seville. 10 and 2 are not how people drive autopilot or not. So it is not defeating the nag. It is being ready to take over control of the car. So the placement of my hands when I drive my S and 3 are very different because of the touchpoints for me. I imagine many are like me. Some say I imagine things. So I could be wrong.

Do you know many driving instructors? I only had one. When I was 15. Never met any others.

Question @bcsteeve. Prior to owning a Tesla did you just hold the steering wheel? Or did you drive the car? When I just hold the steering wheel in a non AP car I go off the road in some point in time if I don't adjust the wheel. Roads are neither straight or level forever.

Edit: Went to Skip Barber driving school. So I guess I did meet a few instructors.

Question @bcsteeve. Prior to owning a Tesla did you just hold the steering wheel? Or did you drive the car? When I just hold the steering wheel in a non AP car I go off the road in some point in time if I don't adjust the wheel. Roads are neither straight or level forever.
Lol...ok, what's the point of AP if you're now suggesting I should be actively steering with it engaged?!?

Reactions: ElectricIAC