Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates are not good - any suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my model 3 a few years ago the AP was amazing. I attached my steering wheel weight and didn’t need to do anything. But now the last 6 months these updates have changed all of that. Now I must keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road Or I get alarms. The steering weight doesn’t work anymore. Might as well drive myself. IMO these safety updates have ruined the Tesla experience. Every few minutes the nagging alarm come on and after a few times it suspends my FSD beta for two weeks which is ok as I don’t use that much anyways. Mainly just AP on the highways. Any suggestions to make my vehicle hands free again? Any new weights or bypasses? Thank you.

When I bought my model 3 a few years ago the AP was amazing. I attached my steering wheel weight and didn’t need to do anything. But now the last 6 months these updates have changed all of that. Now I must keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road Or I get alarms. The steering weight doesn’t work anymore. Might as well drive myself. IMO these safety updates have ruined the Tesla experience. Every few minutes the nagging alarm come on and after a few times it suspends my FSD beta for two weeks which is ok as I don’t use that much anyways. Mainly just AP on the highways. Any suggestions to make my vehicle hands free again? Any new weights or bypasses? Thank you.

I get that the nags can be annoying but Tesla AP was never hands-free. It is not safe to use it as hands-free. Attaching a steering wheel weight is illegal and dangerous. Don't do it.

If you want a true hands-free AP, there are other cars like GM, Ford and others that offer that. Don't try to cheat and make Tesla AP hands-free when it is not.

Blame these idiots for you're experience. They, and many others like them, are the reason we can't have nice things:

Reactions: Thp3 and bmah
Hire a chauffeur?

I get that the nags can be annoying but Tesla AP was never hands-free. It is not safe to use it as hands-free. Attaching a steering wheel weight is illegal and dangerous.
But is it actually illegal? In all the discussions I see about these things, the only factual counterarguments I see are that the NHTSA banned the sale of the weights (temporarily? you can buy them again), and that Tesla frowns on their use by now detecting them and subsequently disabling ADAS in some cases. I've never seen anyone cite the criminal law that says the act of attaching a weight to a steering wheel is prohibited.

Reactions: Rhinomike
But is it actually illegal? In all the discussions I see about these things, the only factual counterarguments I see are that the NHTSA banned the sale of the weights (temporarily? you can buy them again), and that Tesla frowns on their use by now detecting them and subsequently disabling ADAS in some cases. I've never seen anyone cite the criminal law that says the act of attaching a weight to a steering wheel is prohibited.

Well, the sale of the device was illegal. And using one means you are knowingly disabling the safety system of the vehicle. It would be likely disabling the airbags in your car. I am pretty you would get in trouble for that. And certainly, if you got into an accident, you would be liable since you disabled the safety system in the car.

Reactions: Rhinomike
I get that the nags can be annoying but Tesla AP was never hands-free. It is not safe to use it as hands-free. Attaching a steering wheel weight is illegal and dangerous. Don't do it.

If you want a true hands-free AP, there are other cars like GM, Ford and others that offer that. Don't try to cheat and make Tesla AP hands-free when it is not.

yes. I have been thinking about buying an Escalade with self drive. However today I turned my FSD back on and it seemed to be better than months ago when I turned it off. Seems it is more hands free just need to keep my eyes on the road and that’s it. Is that correct?

yes. I have been thinking about buying an Escalade with self drive. However today I turned my FSD back on and it seemed to be better than months ago when I turned it off. Seems it is more hands free just need to keep my eyes on the road and that’s it. Is that correct?

Technically, FSD is still "hands-on" since officially, Tesla says that you must keep your hands on the wheel. However, Tesla has reduced the frequency of the nags and with the camera monitoring, it is possible under certain conditions, like highway driving with no traffic and perfect visibility, to go hands-free for short periods of time. But I would caution against complacency. You should always keep your hands on or close to the steering wheel so you can take over quickly if needed. There can be instances where you will need to take over quickly to prevent a potential accident. For example, FSD Beta will try to do unprotected left turns on yellow and once, it started to creep forward awfully close to going in front of incoming traffic. If I had not been quick to take over, there could have been a major accident. You should definitely not go hands-free on city streets.

Reactions: Dewg and Rhinomike
Well, the sale of the device was illegal. And using one means you are knowingly disabling the safety system of the vehicle. It would be likely disabling the airbags in your car. I am pretty you would get in trouble for that. And certainly, if you got into an accident, you would be liable since you disabled the safety system in the car.
Some states have safety inspections (VA is one of them) and as part of that inspection they check that the airbag lights function as they should, and seat belts are functional and in good repair, but there's nothing about checking the operation of a seat belt nag. I disabled that in one of my cars 20 years ago. Not because I don't wear a seatbelt, but because I buckle up after I start the car and I didn't like the irritating buzz telling me I better buckle up. The AP system is not a safety system so it is not inspected. There is also no certainty that the presence of a steering wheel weight would automatically assign guilt to the user in the case of a crash.

The problem is that there really isn't a law against the weights that I've ever seen. There are laws against distracted driving however, (which are smart) but have nothing to do with the presence of a steering wheel weight.

Technically, FSD is still "hands-on" since officially, Tesla says that you must keep your hands on the wheel. However, Tesla has reduced the frequency of the nags and with the camera monitoring, it is possible under certain conditions, like highway driving with no traffic and perfect visibility, to go hands-free for short periods of time. But I would caution against complacency. You should always keep your hands on or close to the steering wheel so you can take over quickly if needed. There can be instances where you will need to take over quickly to prevent a potential accident. For example, FSD Beta will try to do unprotected left turns on yellow and once, it started to creep forward awfully close to going in front of incoming traffic. If I had not been quick to take over, there could have been a major accident. You should definitely not go hands-free on city streets.

yes I understand and agree. I don’t use it on the streets only the highway or freeway. I have 12k miles on mine 90% on the freeway or highway using AP. Never have I ever had to take control or have a close call. If there is construction I will take over ahead of time but that’s it. Works amazing.

Nope! It's not the first of April. You are for real!

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Can’t wait to read about your family suing Tesla after your dumbass let your car crash itself.

(moderator edit…)

It’s unfortunate that you’ll crash, but at least your family will not be suing Tesla once the attorneys find these posts in legal discovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod