Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol...ok, what's the point of AP if you're now suggesting I should be actively steering with it engaged?!?

Guess I can't help you. I never said such a thing. You are suggesting I said that. Just holding the wheel in both cases does nothing AP and non. So have a hand or two on the wheel. Slight tug. I find your arguments that paying attention to AP is a distraction baseless. Use your devices at your own peril.

Amazing I can drive 1250 miles solo in one day. No lockouts. Never looking down at a nag. Could never do that in a non AP car. Want to do a test? I would drive you into the ground in a non AP Tesla. Just out of your exhaustion. Let me know when the border opens up. I will be there at the Orville border and we can test it. See who lasts longest.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The problem with Autopilot is that it's mis-named because it really isn't an auto pilot system. It should be called PilotAssist or something like that.
No argument there! I've said that since poor Mr. Brown found that out the hard way. But now that we all know what it isn't, the name is just a name. I found out pretty quickly that be DiaperGenie did NOT contain three wishes when rubbed.

Guess I can't help you. I never said such a thing.
ok then I didn't understand your point.
I would drive you into the ground in a non AP Tesla. Just out of your exhaustion.
I concede that you would exhaust me :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Ha, I'm curious to know what that is! It is probably your method for defeating the nag.

Left elbow on door rest, holding wheel near the left spoke.... and right hand basically resting on thigh holding near bottom of the wheel.

Both arms supported/conformable- rarely see any nags at all over many thousands of miles of driving.

When I do it's almost always on a road trip where there's a VERY long stretch of VERY straight road so the wheel didn't move enough to feel any human resistance even with hands on it.

H
Because there really is no "depends on the car" best way to hold a steering wheel

Have you only ever driven one model of car? Or maybe always from the same car brand at least?

Because as I mention I've driven a lot from a bunch of different makers- and there's almost always differences in what are comfortable arm/hand/wheel positions between them.

No he or she just found the most comfortable position while still being able to take over. If this was a small car like a Honda Civic the position would be more than likely different than if it was a Cadillac Seville. 10 and 2 are not how people drive autopilot or not. .

Exactly.

The "your holding it wrong" is not an acceptable response.

Good enough for Steve Jobs is good enough for me :)

The problem with Autopilot is that it's mis-named because it really isn't an auto pilot system. It should be called PilotAssist or something like that.

This is just objectively wrong....as those of us who have actually flown aircraft and used autopilot systems can tell you.

AP is the perfect name for a system that requires active oversight of the human operator but can take over some, but not all, of the dynamic piloting task from moment to moment.

Because that's exactly what AP in an aircraft does.

This link might help you understanding what AP systems on aircraft are like today-

Are Airplane Autopilot Systems the Same as Self-Driving Car AI? - AI Trends

Note much like with cars, the aircraft systems began with very little capability and have added more over time- but they still require a human pilot to always be paying attention to what is going on and always be ready to take over at any moment.

You know- just like autopilot in a Tesla.

Last edited:
Left elbow on door rest, holding wheel near the left spoke.... and right hand basically resting on thigh holding near bottom of the wheel.
So... the human version of the sock with an orange?

I jest... sort of. And I am *NOT* judging your driving. But really all you've done is found a way that works for you to defeat the nag. Sure, OK you're technically satisfying what some might say is the "intent" of the nag... but you could be asleep in that position, or reading a book or staring at the birds. I'm not saying YOU are, but I'm saying that what you're describing doesn't somehow guarantee that you're paying attention to your driving. Same as the orange or any other circumvention.

And therein lies my point. YOU are a responsible driver (I'm assuming) and don't need to be told to hold the wheel so you found a way to not be told to hold the wheel. Is that really any different than finding a different way to do the same?
Have you only ever driven one model of car? Or maybe always from the same car brand at least?
is there something about my photo that screams "spring chicken"? lol. If so, I take it as a compliment. Fair to say I've driven my share of cars. They all have seat and wheel more or less in the same position :)
Good enough for Steve Jobs is good enough for me :)
Funny, and actually a fair point! I would never have an iPhone. Clearly, a lot of people would. Some people don't mind being told how a product should be, some people want it the way they want it. Different strokes.

This is just objectively wrong....as those of us who have actually flown aircraft and used autopilot systems can tell you.
Of course you're right, but your being smarter than the average person isn't really the point. We're not talking about technical jargon, we're talking about marketing and what it means to the average person. Most people picture autopilot as being a system that doesn't require human intervention, and (until it was highly publicized otherwise), most people had that view about Teslas too. It was effective, and misleading, advertising. Of course, we're years into this now and we all know better so it shouldn't really matter what they call it at this point.

Layperson expectation is really what matters when it comes to responsible marketing. Those, like yourself, that know better... you're smart enough to deal with the name being dumbed down.

Just to beat the point to death, there's the "what if" test: if they call it Autopilot and someone incorrectly assumed it would stop for the stoplight... that has more tragic consequences than if they called it TeslaCruise and someone incorrectly assumed it wouldn't do anything more than hold speed.

Super off topic though :)

Interesting discussions! I'm probably going to bow out now. I've got a nag fix to start working on.

200.gif

I've tried just about every hand position possible and I get the nag just as often as I do when I don't have any hands on the wheel at all. I think the sensor is a figment of the imagination and nags are programmed at regular intervals based on what roads you are on and how fast you are driving. Nags are further apart when on the highways and at high speeds vs on city streets at slower speeds. I'm sure there is evidence to prove otherwise, but this has been my experience so far.

If you have a sock with an orange that is controlled by a human brain and can take over and steer a car...sure.

Do you have one of those? Because if so you're sitting on a gold mine, trebeck!

I jest... sort of. And I am *NOT* judging your driving. But really all you've done is found a way that works for you to defeat the nag.

Yes, and that "way" is by having my hands on the steering wheel so I can immediately take back control of the car if needed.

Possibly you can see why that's a better, safer, method than the orange in the sock?

Sure, OK you're technically satisfying what some might say is the "intent" of the nag... but you could be asleep in that position, or reading a book or staring at the birds. I'm not saying YOU are, but I'm saying that what you're describing doesn't somehow guarantee that you're paying attention to your driving. Same as the orange or any other circumvention.

Except the orange in the sock DOES guarantee you can't deal with an emergency as you could if you just held the wheel like you're supposed to.

It's inherently an inferior "solution"

And therein lies my point. YOU are a responsible driver (I'm assuming) and don't need to be told to hold the wheel so you found a way to not be told to hold the wheel. Is that really any different than finding a different way to do the same?

Yes. See above.

Unless you really do have an orange that can steer the car.

Of course you're right, but your being smarter than the average person isn't really the point. We're not talking about technical jargon, we're talking about marketing and what it means to the average person.

But...we literally are talking technical jargon.

Words mean things.

The meaning of AP on a Tesla is exactly the same as the meaning of it on an aircraft. An assist system to the human in control of the vehicle, that requires their constant attention and their readiness to take over at any time.

It's the most correctly named driver aid system on the market.

If folks want to just ignore that fact and assume whatever they saw in AIRPLANE! is how this stuff works- that's really on them.

Most people picture autopilot as being a system that doesn't require human intervention

Sure- and most people think CSI is real, hacking anything takes 5 minutes and a laptop, and you just yell ENHANCE at a fuzzy picture and it magically clears up.

Movies and TV have created a lot of completely fantastic and unrealistic expectations.

I prefer if product descriptions are actually accurate though rather than catering to folks who can't be bothered to understand how something works.

I frankly find it weird that anybody thinks using a LESS accurate name would be LESS misleading.

Well, do be clear there is no "sensor" detecting your hands. There's a torque sensor measuring resistance in the wheel. Resting hands alone can't trigger it. You have to be putting some force left or right.

Resting hands alone absolutely will trigger it if the car is moving the wheel to steer. Hence why I say my relaxed arm/hands position where I hold the wheel generally avoids all nags, with the rare exception of finding myself on a VERY straight road for a long time where the car isn't turning the wheel at all for a while and thus never senses resistance to that turning from my hands resting on said wheel.

Recently completed an out-and-back road trip (Ohio - Utah), 1800+ miles each way, mostly on AP as I was on the interstate. FWIW, on the outbound leg I was very frustrated with the too-frequent nag, so on the return I worked consciously to find hand-on-wheel positions that were comfortable for extended periods and that triggered torque when AP turned the wheel even slightly. I was happy to experience extended stretches (up to ~ 30 min) of nag-free driving, so for me it just took trial-and-error practice. Also FWIW, I never on either leg got past the blue flashing screen nag (i.e., never got the audio/red flash alert nor got put in AP lock-out).

Reactions: camthehombre