Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any members a 2 Model S Household?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 P90DL with 33k miles and AP1, and my wife has a 2012 S85 with 86k miles. No ICE since 2009.

Would never go back to ICE - this is cheaper (for comparable size, age and performance; of course a 2009 Toyota Yaris would be cheaper), more convenient, and more fun. We take more road trips because they are nicer.

No downtime. Both cars work every time I start them up. (So did the Roadster I had for 7 years).

The S is pretty darn big, and our kids are grown, so no need for an SUV. That said, we might trade one for an X just because it would be easier for our elderly parents to get in and out. Aside from that, we prefer the S.

The only thing we don't like is that they are awfully large and expensive, and it seems like overkill to have two of the same thing (though practically speaking it works great). We have a 3 on order to replace one of them - but we do like the size and features if the S; so we will keep the other unless we trade for an X.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 P100D (with about 15k miles) and had a 2015 P85D that is over 104k miles according to my parents. And my wife has an 85D with about 45k miles on it. We refuse to ever go back to an ICE car ever. Both of the car's work perfectly fine especially my wife's car it has probably only been in for service maybe 2 or 3 times for minor issues. My P100D also had and still has some minor issues that I can live with for now. Our 2 kids our in college so we dont regret not having an SUV since my wife traded her Chevy Tahoe for her Model S. And she doesn't ever say that she "Misses Her Tahoe".

I have a 2016 P100D (with about 15k miles) and had a 2015 P85D that is over 104k miles according to my parents. And my wife has an 85D with about 45k miles on it. We refuse to ever go back to an ICE car ever. Both of the car's work perfectly fine especially my wife's car it has probably only been in for service maybe 2 or 3 times for minor issues. My P100D also had and still has some minor issues that I can live with for now. Our 2 kids our in college so we dont regret not having an SUV since my wife traded her Chevy Tahoe for her Model S. And she doesn't ever say that she "Misses Her Tahoe".

That makes me feel better. We are contemplating selling our GL550 for a second model S. Wasn’t sure if we should pull the trigger on the X or not. So far the S has been enough vehicle for our needs; however, we have always had the GL to fall back on

We were a two S family. My wife got an X though soon after they became available.
We have not had an ICE in the family for over 4 years now.
No regrets what-so-ever. We feel healthier, safer and find it far more convenient and less expensive.
I don't think there has been one time where we used the X due to space, the S holds plenty for us.

Reactions: EinSV
That makes me feel better. We are contemplating selling our GL550 for a second model S. Wasn’t sure if we should pull the trigger on the X or not. So far the S has been enough vehicle for our needs; however, we have always had the GL to fall back on

We don't really need the space so we don't need a Model X. The S has been the perfect car for us and we love them.

We have 2. Initially wanted 2 X's, then got an S out of impatience (two actually, but one replacing the other). Then when the X came out, test drove it, realized that it's not practical for us, so got a second Model S instead, completing the conversion to EV-only household.

Regrets about not having an ICE? Service issues? Downtime? Wishing there was an SUV in the family?
1 - I still have an ICE. It is never driven. At this point I'd get rid of it except I worry about some kind of apocalyptic emergency where I can't charge.
2 - In 32,000 miles combined on two S's I have had exactly zero failure or problems of any kind. However I do have a 2016 and a 2017 - the Model S had a rather steep quality improvement curve from 2012 - 2015 - plus I may have just gotten lucky.
3 - My ICE is a giant Infiniti SUV which nobody ever, ever - EVER drives by choice any more. I almost bought an X instead of a second S but prefer the S handling and driving experience so much. Also was afraid of X quality issues. I may take a look at an X again next year - the tax savings are pretty tempting.

We became a 2 Model S family in March when we traded in our Jaguar ICE for a new S 100D and still drive our 2012 S P85.

It's great that we don't have to take a car in for service every few months or stop at a gas station at least once a week - and we really haven't noticed that much of an increase to our electric bill.

Admittedly, road trips require more planning - selecting a route with superchargers and hotels with destination chargers, but with the expanding supercharger network and increasing number of destination chargers, doing a road trip today is much easier than what we faced in 2013!

The amount of storage space in the Model S, with the rear seats folded down, is still surprising at times. We've moved several times since we got the P85 - and it was amazing how much we could fit in the car for runs to/from a storage place.

We're not planning to buy another ICE - and intend to purchase a Model 3 (soon?) to replace the S P85, which has 90K miles.

I have two
My wife drives a 2015 P90D and I drive a 2014 S85

There are times I think about going back to an ICE car

1- My car has a dash rattle that just won't go away, been to the SC a few times for it and it's still there.
2- I purchased the teslas after the supercharger network was revealed. Back then there weren't many of them but they worked perfectly, I was able to charge the car very close to the advertised time. Now that time has doubled. We take lots of road trips and with the current charging speeds it's become somewhat an inconvenience.

Other than those two things I love the cars.
I'm hoping to upgrade my 2014 to a new 100D in hopes of never hearing another dash rattle.

I don’t have space at home for two full size cars like an S. But do own two Teslas. Bought an S in 2013. Almost instantly realized that I wanted another Tesla, the S was so awesome. 10 months later sold my Porsche and bought a Roadster. This year I traded in the S for an X. Love it. Will never own another ICE. EVs are obviously the future. And the future has arrived. With the massive growth of the Supercharger network in the past 4 years, long distance travel in a Tesla is easy.

1 - I still have an ICE. It is never driven. At this point I'd get rid of it except I worry about some kind of apocalyptic emergency where I can't charge.
2 - In 32,000 miles combined on two S's I have had exactly zero failure or problems of any kind. However I do have a 2016 and a 2017 - the Model S had a rather steep quality improvement curve from 2012 - 2015 - plus I may have just gotten lucky.
3 - My ICE is a giant Infiniti SUV which nobody ever, ever - EVER drives by choice any more. I almost bought an X instead of a second S but prefer the S handling and driving experience so much. Also was afraid of X quality issues. I may take a look at an X again next year - the tax savings are pretty tempting.
I've thought the same thing, but then I'd assume that gas stations would have no power either, so how would they pump the gas?