Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got a 2018 P100D, built in Feb 2018. Last six of VIN 241428. TeslaFi reports [perf_config] => P2. Corked or not? Funny, I called Tesla in Highland Park, IL and the service department told me that the didn't know anything about "uncorking"... Hmmm
The TeslaFI report is not accurate. I think you need CAN data.

The quoted text is data/info I've collected on this subject. My 100D model X has been uncorked and I saw the difference (time and kW in Dashboard for Tesla before/after test).
Upgraded performance Metrics Summary
Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Chasedrgc1223, Today at 11:23 AM
>> MasterT said:
On 100D, Perf_Config being P1 does not automatically mean uncorked as Perf_Config is one of two indicators determining if the car can be uncorked. It is possible to have P1 on a corked 100D car. As I have said, BMS ISENSORPROTOCOL NUMBER is the only way to tell if you are uncorked. Over 300 kW when hot rodding the car.

Via: 0 to 60 uncork
Engineering said that the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 in CarLogs.

appleguru said:
Alright, so did a little bit of CAN logging to see if I could find the PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber signal on the powertrain bus.
Looks like it is message ID 532, and the values are static:
Byte Number:
0: PT_BMS_iSensorMajorVersion
1: PT_BMS_iSensorMinorVersion
2: PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber <-----
3: PT_BMS_iSensorReleaseVersion
4-6: PT_BMS_iSensorSerialNumber
Should be possible to read this value from your car using TMSpy or similar CAN logging app and appropriate cable/dongle.
If the above referenced support emails are to be believed, this is the magical component that makes some 75D cars eligible/not eligible for uncorking (a PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber greater than 3 is required for uncorking).

0 to 60 uncork
DHG., Nov 6, 2017
Sent X100D logs to @Krash came back showing 410kw of power far in excess of its previous uncorking. 0-60 remains unchanged Service Center working on why. Will update when I know more.
2017 Model X 100D l Pearl White l 22" Silver Turbine l Premium Pkg l Tan Interior l UHFS l EAP l Uncorked l

0 to 60 uncork
Dinosaver, Nov 9, 2017
My X100D, which is non-P (some people conflate the P and non-P models) had a protocol number of 5. It was built and delivered in March 2017. I got the uncorking done and didn't notice any improvement in 0-60. However, I hand-timed my runs so it's possible that any improvement is under the limit of my timing sensitivity. My corked range was 0.2s across 4 runs (4.93-5.10), so I'd expect to be able to detect a 0.4s improvement. However, I already averaged 5.0s (+/-0.1s) when my specs would have predicted 5.2s, so maybe I'm not seeing a difference from 5.0 to 4,8. I'm pretty good with a stopwatch, but I can't be sure I'm not affected by any incline, state of charge, wind, or other variables. Anyway, I was hoping I would go from 5.2 to 4.7, but seemingly no luck.

0 to 60 uncork
Xtek, Nov 9, 2017
I had my X100D uncorked before even the 75D uncorking as official. I was a bit cagey, though at the request of my OA who helped me out. Before uncork I saw 0-60 of 5.2s. After most of my runs were 5.0 even though I saw a considerable bump in power. The best I've done is 4.8 but I had to work to get the battery warm. Where the power is most noticeable is punching it at highway speeds. But I saw my power go from 360kW to 410kW as well.

Krash has my metrics on his post (note that I do have the new DU, DU00).

Tesla unlocks even more power in Model S 100D, 0-60 mph now down to 3.6 seconds
The differences for the 100D versions were “officially” less significant. Model S 100D’s acceleration was updated to 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds and Model X 100D went from 5.2 seconds down to 4.7 seconds.

Any news on 100D uncorking?
verygreen, Friday at 9:39 AM
Just received a call that my X100D is cleared for uncorking by engineering to be done hopefully later today alongside a ranger visit. mid-march 2017 production, EOQ1 2017 delivery.
As a follow-up, they uncorked my X100D over the air, the config change+reboot took all of 5 minutes and then a firmware update that actually took 2 tries since first one failed.

I’ll clarify, (but thanks for the snotty comment) the P100D with the same battery requires no preconditioning of anytype to achieve performance well beyond the 100D at 100% so why would you need to warm the battery and charge to 100% to achieve the improved 0-60 times on the 100D? (I’m assuming @Mediocrates you have no clue since your signature shows you have no Tesla, and to clarify I have both P100D and 100D) The batteries are identical. Clearly the battery is capable of delivering the maximum power a 100D could ever handle at even 50% or less. So it shouldn’t be necessary to warm or charge to 100% SOC.

Have the answers provided by the other members helped expand your technical knowlege, or is there still some confusion as to how battery charge is distinct from absolute motor output between vehicles?

P100D
Front Engine
Power 259 hp @ 6,100 rpm (193 kW)
Torque 243 lb·ft (329 N·m)
Rear Engine
Power 503 hp @ 6,150 rpm (375 kW)
Torque 487 lb·ft (660 N·m)

100D
Both Engines
Power 259 hp @ 6,100 rpm (193 kW)
Torque 243 lb·ft (329 N·m)
Thanks for this.

I will add that the inverter and temperature sensors in the P100D are upgraded as well. That huge amount of money for the P version is not all in one place. The P100D runs much closer to the performance limits of its components, even things like the axles. Boosting the 100D to P100D levels would be a gamble, either you get lucky or you break something.

Thanks for this.

I will add that the inverter and temperature sensors in the P100D are upgraded as well. That huge amount of money for the P version is not all in one place. The P100D runs much closer to the performance limits of its components, even things like the axles. Boosting the 100D to P100D levels would be a gamble, either you get lucky or you break something.
But how does all of this related to SOC and performance on a 100D. Does warming the battery and SOC really translate to a performance difference? Is this really necessary to achieve the advertised values Tesla is claiming (uncorked) on a 100D?

I suppose what we are dealing with is higher voltages at higher SOC and therefore improved performance. Could it be that simple? The motors are just more responsive and can delivery more power at a higher voltage?

Last edited:
But how does all of this related to SOC and performance on a 100D...

SoC causes max power to drop about 50kW from 100% to 50%. See the dotted grey line below
upload_2018-4-27_12-58-46.png

...Does warming the battery and SOC really translate to a performance difference? ...
We don't have any data on that, Since the S100D uses the SP100D battery you could argue that the max torque setting would normalize any temperature preconditioning. But when you look at the S75D with the bigger BTX8 battery you see that really is the case - there is no change is max power because of state of charge. But on the P and non-P 100D there is a curve, so it might make a difference, not just at the highest SoC but at every SoC.

Is this really necessary to achieve the advertised values Tesla is claiming (uncorked) on a 100D?
Tesla sandbags. The cars are set to much higher performance levels and have room to spare.

...I suppose what we are dealing with is higher voltages at higher SOC and therefore improved performance. Could it be that simple? The motors are just more responsive and can delivery more power at a higher voltage?
Even though the batteries are the same for the P and non-P 100s, and the same voltage (400v) I assume Tesla doesn't discharge them at the same amperage. Hence the curve for the non P S100D and the lack of curve for the S75D BTX8. The

In the beginning of a performance run the torque setting determines performance. And the torque is set twice as high on the Performance model. This is only for a couple seconds. Then after the max power is reached, max power rules until about 70 mph. In most cars this is dependent on the battery size and state of charge, although if you put a more powerful battery in, the car still limits to a max power setting. At about 70 mph the motors reach the Back EMF limiting factors, which are more limiting on lower amperage batteries and (assumed) more limiting on the smaller drive unit.

I suppose what we are dealing with is higher voltages at higher SOC and therefore improved performance. Could it be that simple?
No, it's not.
All the components need to handle the increased load. For the P100D the inverter, wiring, contactors, temperature sensors and axles needed to be upgraded. I am not sure how many of these improved components are in the 100D. I do know when I looked all this up originally the P100D runs much closer to the capacity of each component. Control errors add up i.e. if the components are ± 10% and the temperature sensor reads 10% low and the inverter puts out 10% more and the axle can take 10% less you start having broken parts even if they are all designed to take the load. To get reliability they max the car at 20% under the theoretical limit (numbers for example, not reference).
Upgrading to components with a 5% error is expensive because the part yield is lower, but allows more power with reliability (maybe 10% of max). Upgrading to 3% error is Ludicrously expensive (maybe 5% of max).

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva
For torque, the non performance Model S motors uncork to 300Nm torque each, although the manual says 330Nm rated, so within 10%.

For power, there is evidence that the new DU00 motors are considerably more below their uncorked power limits on the 100D, maybe 20% under. So the performance DU01 power is even more underrated, likely held back just by the battery capability.

Last edited:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm picking up a new 100D in a week or two - do I need to ask the SC to uncork anything, or should it be hitting max kW from the factory? (~420+?)

Last edited:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm picking up a new 100D in a week or two - do I need to ask the SC to uncork anything, or should it be hitting max kW from the factory? (~420+?)
If it’s new and not CPO (basically as long as it was made after ~September 2017) you’ve got the latest and greatest with nothing needing to be done relating to uncorking.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Hi All,

New Model S 100D owner here and this thread got my attention. My build date is 5/2017 and I see I don't have DU00 or DU01, so I think my car can be uncorked? I've seen mixed notes on whether it is hardware and/or software. Is it just a software update? Is there a way to see if it has been done? Does upgrading to the latest release of V9 do it anyways, or a tech needs to do it? I have a SC appointment coming up due yellow banding on the MCU and thought I should ask to have them look into it then?

Thanks - and sorry for opening up an old thread again too!

Mike