Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Performance owners regret not getting the perf upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to get this thread back on topic. Does anyone with a P3D- regret it?

Do you find the suspension inadequate? How are the brakes? Do you hate the 18" wheels? Anyone actually wish they upgraded?

My only hesitation on the non-PUP is the suspension. I know it's relatively easy to upgrade later, but it's nice to have solid right out of the box.

Last edited:
It would be nice to get this thread back on topic. Does anyone with a P3D- regret it?

Do you find the suspension inadequate? Do you hate the 18" wheels? Anyone actually wish they upgraded?

While I don't have my P3D- yet, I've been trying to quantify my potential regret:

• Regret #1: Its not the top of the line package with all the trimmings. I.e. vanity options.
  • Regret #2: The value proposition for the upgrade is there IF you can utilize all the options.
  • Regret #3: Potential future unlocks including but limited to Track Mode
The vanity feel is probably #1 reason most people may feel bad about not getting a the + package especially if they could've gotten it. A fair number of people will be upset because I wanted future unlocks especially track mode.

The value proposition will be better for the P3D- who go a-la-carte with their options.

I'd love for more owners to comment on the daily drive experience of their P3D- though.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: chr147 and Mayhem
I just lost my edit page for P-. With announcement of Track Mode availability only for P+, I've been thinking about changing. There are a few things keeping me from changing.
1) I don't want most of the P+ stuff, especially the 20" wheels and their reduced efficiency.
2) What if Track Mode costs extra, even with P+? (Tesla has only said it would be "available", not free.) I wouldn't want to pay extra for it and I'd be stuck with a P+ that I didn't need to get.
3) Ludicrous mode. I'd want this, but same with Track Mode, what if it costs extra? For this I might pay, but what if it costs another $10K for 2.9s? I don't know if it'd be worth that much to me. Or maybe Ludicrous mode is only available to cars of newer vintage and can't be retrofitted to existing cars. Who knows?

P+ may be more likely to get new features over P-. but there's no guarantee any of them will be free.

I've had my P3D for about 3 weeks now, so I'll weigh in based on that amount of time:

1) So glad I didn't get the 20" rims/tires - the roads around me are bad enough with the 18"s.
2) The red calipers are cool - I wish I had them, but assume they'll be available later (they ARE available for the Model S: (Model S Brake Calipers Set)).
3) I give zero effs about track mode - I'm already driving around like a god among men in this thing as it is.
4) If they somehow had the nerve to only give Ludicrous mode to P3D+ owners (which makes zero sense - Model S owners got it regardless of their tire or caliper size), I still wouldn't regret it.

Yes I realize this can happen to any tire/wheel combo that drives over a curb. But the fact that so many people I know with 21s on their Model S have destroyed rims/tires definitely played a part in opting to forgo the + package.

I've had my P3D for about 3 weeks now, so I'll weigh in based on that amount of time:

1) So glad I didn't get the 20" rims/tires - the roads around me are bad enough with the 18"s.

How do you find the ride on 18's? And the steering response?

When test driving I found the 20's surprisingly comfortable, and the 18's steering almost mushy in comparison.

I really do not want the 20's (I'll likely be getting 19's either way) but I'm wondering how much of the ride difference was the PUP's lowered suspension.

I do not yet have my 3P (non +, delivery 10/1) but I won’t regret it. My P85 came with 21s, after 3 sidewall blowouts I bought aftermarket 20 wheels/rubber. I hate the spoiler. I’m not going 155. Might want lowering, but can do that if I want. Don’t think I’ll need the brakes. Track mode interesting, particularly higher regen braking. Hope I have option to pay to activate. That’s it.

I might have more regrets about not getting just D. But all reports say that P transforms the car... much more impact than just 1 sec 0-60. Better power delivery throughout. Worth $9k? We will see!

How do you find the ride on 18's? And the steering response?

When test driving I found the 20's surprisingly comfortable, and the 18's steering almost mushy in comparison.

I really do not want the 20's (I'll likely be getting 19's either way) but I'm wondering how much of the ride difference was the PUP's lowered suspension.

So I never had the opportunity to drive a P3D+ - I've only been told the ride is smoother with the 18", but naturally that comes at the cost of less handling thanks to the lowered suspension and wider tires.

As it turns out, a user on this forum who lives in the DSM metro is actually picking up his P3D+ this weekend. I'd like to meet up so the two of us can compare P3D- and P3D+ when it comes to road feel and handling. Once I've done that I'll be able to decide whether I want 20" or 19" tires for next summer.

So I never had the opportunity to drive a P3D+ - I've only been told the ride is smoother with the 18", but naturally that comes at the cost of less handling thanks to the lowered suspension and wider tires.

As it turns out, a user on this forum who lives in the DSM metro is actually picking up his P3D+ this weekend. I'd like to meet up so the two of us can compare P3D- and P3D+ when it comes to road feel and handling. Once I've done that I'll be able to decide whether I want 20" or 19" tires for next summer.

The P3D+ doesn't have wider tires, they're exactly the same as the stock 18 or 19" ones- nor is there much evidence the "lowered suspension" amounts to anything but a correction of wheel geometry for the 20" wheels resulting in a 0.39 inch drop from stock.

Reactions: Jedi2155
Yup- the actual tire is a lot better on the 20s....that's mainly what you'd notice as far as braking, handling, etc.... though you can get the same tire on the 18s for 1k or so and likely have a better ride AND great handling. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't put that tire on the 18s or 19s in any model 3 so you won't be able to compare apples/apples in that regard unless you've swapped the better tires onto your P3D-

The sidewall is shorter on the 20s, hence the potentially rougher ride and more damage-prone rims....bit heavier too but probably not enough to be noticeable.

Please do post your findings!

Also, please disassemble the suspensions and post all the part numbers. Thanks. :)

• Funny
Reactions: goodlucktj
I did regret ordering the P3D- when I got the call to schedule delivery. Fortunately, I was able to decline delivery due to a scheduling conflict and this opened up the opportunity to upgrade to P3D+.
One of the main reasons I made the switch to P3D+ was the brakes. I noticed MPP said they were overheating their brakes on mountain passes and not just on the track with their RWD. The AWD/P3D- is ~270lbs heavier and apparently uses the same brakes as the RWD. I was originally planning to do the MPP rotor upgrades on the P3D-, but they would cost ~$2,400, for front and rear, which would be almost half way to the Performance Upgrade Package. They would also require larger wheels. I also tried to research the brakes that are included in the performance upgrade package and found hints that they may have some additional features built in them for electronic control. This made me think track mode may be dependent on the Performance Upgrade Package. Still waiting to see if this is confirmed that the brakes are the dependent component, but so far it’s possible this is the case.

Do you find the suspension inadequate? How are the brakes? Do you hate the 18" wheels? Anyone actually wish they upgraded?

My only hesitation on the non-PUP is the suspension. I know it's relatively easy to upgrade later, but it's nice to have solid right out of the box.
Just got my P3D- two days ago and I don't regret it at all. Would do it again. I still don't see the value in the +. I am getting way better wheels, brakes and suspension myself for only a little bit more than the +. I was feeling a bit sad when finding out I would not get Track mode but this thing is so much fun to drive that it makes me not care about track mode anymore. Every stop light is an opportunity to have your face stretched and that's fun enough.

Last edited: