Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recent CA owners apply for the $2,500 CVRP rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been reports that the $2,500 CVRP rebate amount was retained for the 2014-2015 fiscal year (begins July 1, 2014) at the CARB meeting this past week. There was a proposal to decrease it to $2,000 but the board declined to make the reduction.

While I'm glad that there was no change to the rebate amount in the weeks before the new fiscal year, they should have made a decision about the following fiscal year. More advance notice is always better. I know somebody that made an impulse purchase of a "city EV" in the Spring because the funding was getting low. That is silly. The state should establish stable funding sources for these programs and give 6 months or more notice for program changes.

While I'm glad that there was no change to the rebate amount in the weeks before the new fiscal year, they should have made a decision about the following fiscal year. More advance notice is always better. I know somebody that made an impulse purchase of a "city EV" in the Spring because the funding was getting low. That is silly. The state should establish stable funding sources for these programs and give 6 months or more notice for program changes.
Confirmed that the incentives are unchanged. Yea! Not clear why. The program receives a fixed amount of funds, but each year they have under estimated the growth of EVs and have run out earlier than expected. As I understand it they had a fixed amount going forward for the next year that was insufficient to cover the anticipated growth in EV sales. Having to live within the financial constraint, the team proposed cutting out incentives for EVs priced over $50k (rational being the incentive was not as critical to the purchase decision of expensive cars). You probably know what happened to that proposal in light of the Tesla Gigafactory. Plan B was to scale back the incentives by $500. Everyone I talked to said that was a done deal. That now appears to have been rejected. So as much as I am pleased that the amounts didn't get cut, inquiring minds want to know what happened? More money? Something else cut? To be continued...

Yep, pretty lame. BEVs needed help at one point too. Was it ever $5,000 for BEVs?
(Edit: I stand corrected on this, see post below) It's a pretty lame excuse. But CARB seems to like FCVs a lot. I think it's because the chairman, Mary D. Nichols is a huge fan. She actually went to the key handing event for the Tucson FCV. CARB never had any presence in the first Roadster, Leaf, Model S key handing events.

Last edited:
I took delivery of my P85+ on 3/24/14. I submitted my rebate request via email, as soon as I received my registration, on 4/21/14. On 5/9/14, the email notification I received said applications received by email on or after 3/28/14 would receive a rebate check in September 2014.

Just another data point: online application submitted 6/19, documents received 6/26, application approved 7/21, rebate check for $2,500 to be mailed in Sep.

Same here - application 6/23, docs received 6/26, approval 7/21. September check.

better than my solar cSI rebate that I am still waiting for 8 months after install!! Finally reached the last stage "pending payment" this week.

on a side note , thank you California for all these incentives! :love: I love CA