Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Regrets on Buying the 5 Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have a few days to change my mind on my MX 90D 6 seat configuration. I was originally focused on 5 seater fold down seats but ordered the 6 seater because I was concerned it resale of 5 seater vs 6 seater when I trade for a more powerful battery in 4 or 5 years. I don't have a family and don't need the extra seats. I may buy a travel trailer and it would be nice to have the extra space in the X for more gear. So a 5 seater will be more practical for my purposes but am concerned it will take a much bigger hit on resale than a 6 seater.

I love the five seater. If I had to buy another car today, I would buy my exact same car. I don't want to have to use my Model X like a clown car. I need lots of storage. I don't really want to have anyone in the car besides my wife and my dog. My dog Tyger gets one huge bench seat to himself. I didn't want the 6 or 7 seater, because I thought it was more things to break. I do have a concern about the longevity of the automatic doors, but I love opening and closing the doors and trunks for my wife.

I read things about resale being better for the higher option choices here on TMC, but wouldn't resale be better for the cheapest Tesla available that has a reasonable range at the time of sale? I chose 6 seat because I have that many butts needing seats on a fairly frequent basis. If you are single, I would choose the 5 seat and know you can sell it 3K cheaper than mine and still be happy.

No regrets here. I leased mine so I'm not concerned about resale value as it relates to the configuration. View from the rear view mirror is always going to be a problem in this car but the camera mitigates that. Ultimately it's how your family will utilize the car and I would have no use for the seats.

Loving my new 5 seater. Our kids are 14 and 18 so much too big for the 3rd row seats(comfortably anyway). I'm loving option of folding middle row flat and storage space. No regrets. Also like that they recline backwards which I wasn't expecting!

• Helpful
Reactions: beths11
I agree with what everyone has said. Aside from my personal bias (I have a 5-seater on order), you should get what you need and not worry about resale value. And even about that, the 5-seaters will be more rare, so for those that prefer one, it will be more difficult to find and possibly more in demand. Your situation sounds ideal to me for the 5-seater. Focus on enjoying what you actually needed for the next 3 plus years, rather than speculating about what the financial impact might be a long time from now, and dealing with a vehicle that you have to compromise about because it doesn't fit your needs.

Have you considered an S? You'd get more car for the money. Unless you really need the extra space.

Anyone can really justify 5,6 or 7 seats based on their personal circumstances. It sounds like you can do fine with five seats. To have best resale value, you spend as little on the car as you can and 5 seats would do that.

But again, at 5 seats I would be cross shopping with the S.

Have you considered an S? You'd get more car for the money. Unless you really need the extra space.

Anyone can really justify 5,6 or 7 seats based on their personal circumstances. It sounds like you can do fine with five seats. To have best resale value, you spend as little on the car as you can and 5 seats would do that.

But again, at 5 seats I would be cross shopping with the S.
He mentioned he wanted to tow a trailer.

Reactions: MisterT2
Options in a car typically loose more (by percentage) in resale than the base car. And I don't believe that a 5-seater is an unattractive car. You should not expect to get your add-on price back. Additionally you should consider that investing the money elsewhere you could get some interest instead. And with your timeframe of 4 to 5 years the value of the car will be around half of its original price.
The way I see it:
- option 1 is to have guaranteed $3300 + interest in 5 years with the 5-seater.
- option 2 is getting maybe $500 to $2000 higher resales for the extra row in 5 years.
So if you have no need at all for the 6-seater why wasting money, adding weight to your car and reducing range?

Reactions: cdub