Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any solutions for seat belt rattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken my car twice to the service center to investigate a rattle in the B-pillar, whether it is associated with the seat belt mechanism or not. I have a strong suspicion it is seat belt related. They have not been able to "replicate" the problem or fix it.

Has anyone taken any intervention -- Tesla sanctioned or not -- that has helped?

It's driving me nuts.

I have noticed that, too. I think it has to do with the nylon web rubbing against the intake slot on the shoulder belt. More of a friction sound than a rattle, though. In a car this quiet, you hear everything, like the 20+ tiny motors that do goodness knows what when various things happen in the car.

I have noticed that, too. I think it has to do with the nylon web rubbing against the intake slot on the shoulder belt. More of a friction sound than a rattle, though..

this is EXACTLY what it is. the plastic they chose to use to cover the seat belt housing is porous, and when the seat belt rubs against it very slowly, it makes a noise that sounds like a rattle. amplified because it's next to your ear.

you can test this very easily by grabbing the seat belt with your hand while you're sitting there, make sure it's rubbing against the plastic, and making small movements back and forth.

i have tried putting scotch tape there where it rubs, but that didn't work. i honestly don't know how to fix this one, which is frustrating because the problem is 1 - known and 2 - rather simple.

this is EXACTLY what it is. the plastic they chose to use to cover the seat belt housing is porous, and when the seat belt rubs against it very slowly, it makes a noise that sounds like a rattle. amplified because it's next to your ear.

you can test this very easily by grabbing the seat belt with your hand while you're sitting there, make sure it's rubbing against the plastic, and making small movements back and forth.

i have tried putting scotch tape there where it rubs, but that didn't work. i honestly don't know how to fix this one, which is frustrating because the problem is 1 - known and 2 - rather simple.

Well, that explains why there are two pieces of tape there now...I certainly didn't put them there.

That didn't work. I may fiddle with it this weekend.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I've taken my car twice to the service center to investigate a rattle in the B-pillar, whether it is associated with the seat belt mechanism or not. I have a strong suspicion it is seat belt related. They have not been able to "replicate" the problem or fix it.

Has anyone taken any intervention -- Tesla sanctioned or not -- that has helped?

It's driving me nuts.

Just yesterday I brought my car in to Menlo for this, and they said besides the seat belt that some of the chrome trim on the outside was moving a bit and the sound was transmitting to the inside. I didn't fully understand, but perhaps your service center can talk to the guys at Menlo and see what they did for my car, VIN 3606.

It's nice and quiet now.
bpillar.JPG

Fixed it today in 1 min: put a piece of electric tape over lower edge of the seat belt opening on the B pillar. I actually used black tape, it is not really visible under the seat belt. I guess teflon tape would work even better (can be found at Amazon).

Just yesterday I brought my car in to Menlo for this, and they said besides the seat belt that some of the chrome trim on the outside was moving a bit and the sound was transmitting to the inside. I didn't fully understand, but perhaps your service center can talk to the guys at Menlo and see what they did for my car, VIN 3606.

It's nice and quiet now.
View attachment 22115

I have this same concern and live near Menlo. I'm going to have them check it out.