Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any thoughts on the seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived with two herniated discs for over 20 years, and I think the seats are very comfortable, about the best I've had. But I spent a lot of time getting them set properly for my physique and posture. Height, length of leg extension to the pedals, seat back angle, arm angles to the steering wheel, back support firmness -- it's very important to get those right for your own body.

Friday I was behind the wheel for four straight hours and Sunday for three. No problems at all.

Since posting a few days ago, I adjusted the seat again --this time starting from the highest possible setting. I finally found a comfortable position yesterday -- and made no adjustments today. I feel like I'm sitting a little high, but I have the right angle now for the back rest. This position is saved and I'll probably see if I can get just a bit lower -- but it's pretty good now...

I was concerned about the seats at first because they didn't have the "plump" bolstered feel of my previous vehicle a Mercedes CL500. AND I have a herniated disc which makes the seat and ride extremely important to me. But now that I've spent a little time with the car I've grown to love the seats. I have not had any back problems and the design is so sleek and "concept-car" like that I am in awe every time I get in the car. It's hard for me to be objective as I love the car more every time I look at it and drive it.

The only big complaints I had about my Signature P85 were the handling and the lack of side bolstering in the front seats. After getting the P+ suspension retrofitted to my car, I love the handling but the seat issue is exacerbated by being able to take corners faster!

Today I visited a Silicon Valley shop that specializes in custom interiors for hot rods and rebuilt interiors for classic cars. We are working on a plan to rebuild the Model S seat bottoms for more lateral support. The factory look will be retained by matching the leather and alcantara and the electronics will be kept intact. I should be able to report back on results in a few weeks.

Would love to hear about your results on modifying the native seats. We have the same complaint about the seats. Either the seats are too wide in the back or don't have enough side bolstering. My wife and I are on the small side and when cornering on the harder side, we slide in the seats. A lot. Even if the car is holding the road well, that sensation of sliding and having to brace against it gives the impression of far worse cornering ability than the car is probably capable of. On the other hand, the seats in the Panamera really fit us well, so there's no sliding at all (doesn't hurt to have ventilated seats in SoCal, either). The lack of sliding probably contributes to a way more connected feeling to the car and the road than we have in the Model S.

If someone manages to find aftermarket ventilated seats with better bolstering that work with the electronics (seat sensor and memory positions including lumbar support position), we'd spring for them in a heartbeat. We really hope that Dennis' modification works out great!

Still seems strange that the lumbar support position is not part of the programmable memory in the seat. If my wife and I had the same back, we wouldn't have to adjust the lumbar support manually every time we switch driver profiles...

The only big complaints I had about my Signature P85 were the handling and the lack of side bolstering in the front seats. After getting the P+ suspension retrofitted to my car, I love the handling but the seat issue is exacerbated by being able to take corners faster!

Today I visited a Silicon Valley shop that specializes in custom interiors for hot rods and rebuilt interiors for classic cars. We are working on a plan to rebuild the Model S seat bottoms for more lateral support. The factory look will be retained by matching the leather and alcantara and the electronics will be kept intact. I should be able to report back on results in a few weeks.

/subscribed.... Please post pics. I live in the area and would be very interested to see how that comes out. :)

Really any of the models could use better seats. Even the S85/P85 would benefit greatly. Getting out of the stock Recaros in my current car and into the Model S seats is disappointing. Especially given the 3x price difference.

I considered replacing the stock front seats with Recaros upholstered to match - I did this on a Ford Expedition and it worked out great. But I estimated it would cost $6K-$7K and I was worried about losing the seat memory integration so I dropped the idea.

I considered replacing the stock front seats with Recaros upholstered to match - I did this on a Ford Expedition and it worked out great. But I estimated it would cost $6K-$7K and I was worried about losing the seat memory integration so I dropped the idea.
I'm not sure about the Model S, but in most car's you'd lose the airbags as well since they're in the side of the seat. The best thing about my Evo is that the Recaros are stock equipment and include the airbags. My wife and I spent 3000 miles in them moving cross country this summer and there aren't enough superlatives available for me to describe how amazing they were. 3000 miles and absolutely no back pain, to which I am prone. Incredible. Even more so considering they have just two adjustments: front-to-back sliding and rear seat back angle. That's it.

I despise leather seats, but if the Performance seat option were more like those Recaros instead of just having different coverings I would have ordered them.

And are there airbags in the seats?

Usually the side of the seat will have "SRS" or something like that stamped in it, and I don't see it on my seats. But the owner's manual (I did not get one with my car, but it is now on the main touchscreen with firmware 5.6) says that there are side airbags in the seats.

By the way, I did a 900-mile day in a Model S seat last week. It was comfy.

The RECARO Sportster CS seat has side airbags and are heated. Could be a good option. I wonder what a photoshop would look like?
1zgrc2.jpg

Attachments

• 1zgrc2.jpg
    1zgrc2.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 892
I'm looking forward to this:
  • The production Model S will soon come off the line with improved front seats. "The seats should be more comfortable," said Musk. A modified spring force in the cushion will allow the driver to sink lower into the seat. The new seat is designed so it can be retrofitted to older cars. Musk also said that a second, more comprehensive seat upgrade is about a year away.

We have 40,000+ miles on the car. We drive hours at a time, get out and charge, get in and drive.

I have a "bad back", 24 hour pain meds, sitting in poor support about kills me. I am comfortable driving the S. The seats aren't cushy, but they are comfortable. We go visit our kid, I am in constant pain until we get in the car for the two day drive. AHHHHHH.

Sure, I go around corners. I live in the mountains on curvy roads, and I lose the tailgaters going around the bends. I know nothing about Recaro, race seats, performance seats. All I know is that Tesla works for me.