Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to force the floor lighting to stay on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I was doing a bit of cleaning in my Model S yesterday, using a portable vacuum cleaner to clean up sand and salt from the driver's side floor. The car was in a garage with limited lighting. After a short time (a minute or two? not sure) the floor lighting shut off and I could no longer see what I was doing. I tried switching the overhead lights on and off, and the lamps on the doors, but neither affected the floor lamps. I ended up using a flashlight to see, rather a crude solution. The floor lighting seems to actuate when you open the door and then shut off after a fixed time. Oddly, it also comes on after you close the door. But I needed the door open to do the work.

Anyone know of a way to keep the floor lamps on? My previous cars simply had the lights on if the door was open.

Otherwise, I guess I will need to do this sort of task while the car is outdoors....

Nope. There is no way. I have tried everything. It's like a dark cave when they go out. I actually replaced them with better LEDs, which really light things up. They are still timed, unfortunately. But all you have to do is open any door and they will come back on for a short time. When vacuuming, I typically just open and close the back door when in the front and vice versa when in the rear. Inconvenient. But it works pretty well. I don't know why, but the trunk lights, which I also replaced with better lights, stay on much longer.

My last car had always-on footwell lighting about as bright as what the Tesla has, but they would brighten up (or a second set of lights came on - - not sure) when a door was opened. I would prefer something like this.