Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else annoyed by the software controlling seat movement and positioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pleased to report that some major Model X seat movement issues have been corrected with 7.1 (2.17.95) (possibility earlier as not all updates were received). My need to push the easy entry button twice to move an original second row seat completely forward is fixed (it would stop halfway). The best improvement is the restoration of preset front seat positions when returning the 2nd row to a passenger position. At last, the problem of the driver seat being dropped to the lowest position with minimal leg space appears to be solved.

A proper fix in a month? Using the Elon time calibration method, that means we might have functional second and third row seats in 6 months. Kinda sucks. Meanwhile we have no idea how our seats are going to function from release to release (which happens about once a week). Great job, Tesla!

A proper fix in a month? Using the Elon time calibration method, that means we might have functional second and third row seats in 6 months. Kinda sucks. Meanwhile we have no idea how our seats are going to function from release to release (which happens about once a week). Great job, Tesla!
I'd happily wait 6 months to have a functional second row seat, if that meant it would fold. However, I don't think it's possible with an OTA update, unless that means a Freemont engineer flying out to my house to replace the 2nd row with a new folding design. Gives a whole new meaning to Over-the-air update.

Hello there. I have an issue with the 3rd row access and I wonder if anyone has a tip for me. My kids sit in the 2nd row and they move the seats all the way forward to give the 3rd row maximum space. After using the 3rd row access to get into 3rd row, the 2nd row seats does not remember the settings and always recovers back to the far most position. This is frustrating because the person sits in the 3rd row will get their legs squashed first and then have to ask the 2nd row to move the seats forward to be comfortable. Is there any settings I missed so that the 2nd row seats will remember the position it was at before using the 3rd row access feature? Thanks all for the help.

People seem to think the seat issue will get fixed by software, but does the "latch" aspect of the seats limit their movement no matter what the software says due to latch position safety requirements. In particular can software solve the issue commsign brings up about moving the second row seat up to give 3rd row passenger more leg room while meeting "latch" requirements? Bellow are all the quotes I could find in the thread relating to the "latched" position.

What exactly does being "latched" mean?

As far as "latched", my guess is that it refers to some safety lock to prevent the seat from moving in case of an accident. I only say this because I think I heard the 3rd row seat problem referred to as a problem with a latch in the 3rd row... so I'm assuming there's some safety latch that needs to be in place to lock the chair in position

I'm still annoyed that the 2nd row has such limited forward movement allowed in "latched" mode even though we know it can physically go a lot further.

All I know about the latch is I hear it click when the seat goes forward and back. When going back, I definitely hear the click/latch well before the seat stops moving, so it need not go back as far. In fact, I can manually adjust it forward once it goes back all the way, so it should be fixable in software.

I thought leg crusher mode had gone away insomuch as when someone is sitting in the third row, second row seats wouldn't go back as far. Not so. My 44" tall son complains about his legs getting crunched every time - so I have to stand there and tap the seat button to prevent said crushing.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf