Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yes.. haven’t been following threads and was set to take delivery of my long awaited MY in March.

Got a warning 2 days ago about USS removal.
First of all.. cheeky AF imo given they started removing them in November or so?? Why not let people know from the beginning?

But I’m actually considering cancelling my order despite REALLY REALLY wanting a model Y with a much better build quality than my 2020 SR+ M3 from Fremont.

But WTF? I know there are plenty of threads on this but didn’t see one about people cancelling, if any.
I use USS on my M3 daily as an obsession, I simply couldn’t attempt to parallel park in these tight London spots my M3 as we all know it’s a large and long car and gauging how close you’re to something can be challenging. - Maybe I’m just a *sugar* driver, maybe.
But it pisses me off that cheap cars back in 2014-2016 have features like USS and Tesla decided to remove just another feature that is essential for many nillywilly without an equivalent replacement being offered NOW and without a guarantee of what will be actually available and when.

So anyone else cancelling?

Reactions: roadcred
I didn't, but I've sent a bunch of very angry emails to Tesla since accepting mine. In fact they just replied telling me that its tough *sugar* and not to contact them again.
They really need to learn just how bad this is for their customer relations.

If you are happy with your M3 right now, it might be worth cancelling? I came from a 2015 model S I was sick of, so wasn't going to wait longer, plus I ordered a red performance, so it takes ages to get one of those and I didnt want to miss out. If your config is more common, then you may have nothing to lose?

So yes.. haven’t been following threads and was set to take delivery of my long awaited MY in March.

Got a warning 2 days ago about USS removal.
First of all.. cheeky AF imo given they started removing them in November or so?? Why not let people know from the beginning?

But I’m actually considering cancelling my order despite REALLY REALLY wanting a model Y with a much better build quality than my 2020 SR+ M3 from Fremont.

But WTF? I know there are plenty of threads on this but didn’t see one about people cancelling, if any.
I use USS on my M3 daily as an obsession, I simply couldn’t attempt to parallel park in these tight London spots my M3 as we all know it’s a large and long car and gauging how close you’re to something can be challenging. - Maybe I’m just a *sugar* driver, maybe.
But it pisses me off that cheap cars back in 2014-2016 have features like USS and Tesla decided to remove just another feature that is essential for many nillywilly without an equivalent replacement being offered NOW and without a guarantee of what will be actually available and when.

So anyone else cancelling?
If it is just a poll kind of thing you can easily set up one to find out how many?

Reactions: Rooster6655
I didn't, but I've sent a bunch of very angry emails to Tesla since accepting mine. In fact they just replied telling me that its tough *sugar* and not to contact them again.
They really need to learn just how bad this is for their customer relations.

If you are happy with your M3 right now, it might be worth cancelling? I came from a 2015 model S I was sick of, so wasn't going to wait longer, plus I ordered a red performance, so it takes ages to get one of those and I didnt want to miss out. If your config is more common, then you may have nothing to lose?
I have a AWD LR MY so I’d say it’s a common config? The only upgrade is the white seats as I really wanted those since my M3 (but the option was discontinued from one day to the next on SR+ at the time).
My issue is that my build of M3 is known to be really *sugar* and I’m worried of costs if things go south once warranty ends next year.
Like I can afford the payment on the car but not the repairs if I’m honest. It was one of those treat myself purchases if that makes sense.

I also hate with a passion, daily the lack of the auto boot thing (bloody forget the word now 🤣) because a. It makes my life much harder and b. I find it kinda embarrassing that a £40K car doesn’t have this mid range feature.

Plus the model Y being a hatchback will be very useful later on for cargo as I carry lots of building materials and stuff in the boot and the M3 comes short because of the boot height restriction..

So I’m in 2 minds.

But realistically with the way the car is now I know I would 100% struggle with the lack of USS
And have to find the most far away parking spaces ever to avoid colliding into *sugar*. 😔

I know it’s a completely personal choice. I have 2020 Fremont 3LR. I’ve test driven a new Y. I prefer mine with the exception of the higher seat height In the Y. I just didn’t like the way it drove compared to a 3 and I didn’t like what’s been removed since I got mine. Yes, there are things that have been added but I like what I have.
I bought FSD on a promise. I wouldn’t be fooled twice.

I know it’s a completely personal choice. I have 2020 Fremont 3LR. I’ve test driven a new Y. I prefer mine with the exception of the higher seat height In the Y. I just didn’t like the way it drove compared to a 3 and I didn’t like what’s been removed since I got mine. Yes, there are things that have been added but I like what I have.
I bought FSD on a promise. I wouldn’t be fooled twice.
Well.. if I had FSD one thing is certain that car wouldn’t leave my sight.
Wouldn’t let go of it.

It’s just very tough to swallow the lack of the auto boot thing and the lack of mileage for me. Also the other minor improvements etc.

But now maybe it’s a sign of letting the Y go.. at least for now.

Are you concerned of out of warranty costs?

If I was in your position, personally, I would cancel/delay until more HW4 details are released or confirmed in UK cars. Even If it means missing a quarter release.

If Tesla's release cycle was an anime, cars released right now with a lack of USS using HW3 is the filler arc.
HW4 is something that popped in my mind after reading some posts on here..
Especially since Tesla didn’t make any promises of retrofitting or anything.

It sounds like if I take delivery now I’ll be in the same position as when M3 refresh happened in late 2020, just months after taking delivery of my car and I’ve been resentful ever since about it 🤣🤣

It’s more to get opinions.. because I’m in two minds, on one side I would really benefit from the model Y on the other I would struggle on a daily basis with the lack of USS ☹️
As far as I am aware other than park assist there is not many difference with or without USS. Not sure whether you are planning to use smart summon etc., and even so I don’t think it works great. Even park assist feature will be coming to Not equipped with USS cars in few months time. So wondering what are your worries regarding buying a Y without USS?

Tesla have done that several times. First one I remember was when they rolled out "Tesla Autopilot" to replace the Mobileye product they used previously. I think it was a year that all the people who bought AP had dilly-squat.

the lack of the auto boot thing

Available on current M3s I think? (3rd party Retrofit also available, but I doubt that is the solution you are looking for :) )

Even park assist feature will be coming to Not equipped with USS cars in few months time.

Didn't they say "By the end of year" back in November? :(. Sounds like my Programmers' Calendar - I never say which year either!

Reactions: cliff harris
FWIW I park in a car port, and reverse in, and the reverse camera plus dual side cameras mean its absolutely no bother. I only miss USS when parking forwards, or going through really tight gaps in traffic.
You could cancel, tell them why, and tell them to contact you when the functionality has been replicated. Might be a month, might be a year!

Reactions: cdub and manub
You could always get a used one?
1677261398099.png

Tesla have done that several times. First one I remember was when they rolled out "Tesla Autopilot" to replace the Mobileye product they used previously. I think it was a year that all the people who bought AP had dilly-squat.

Available on current M3s I think? (3rd party Retrofit also available, but I doubt that is the solution you are looking for :) )

Didn't they say "By the end of year" back in November? :(. Sounds like my Programmers' Calendar - I never say which year either!
Yes, the auto boot thing IS available on current M3s and Ys, I think I was referring to the swap that happened just a few months after I collected my M3 at the time.

I didn’t want to invalidate warranty so I haven’t done the 3rd party thing and honestly I’d always much rather for something to be factory built so cover my back.. but here we are.. probably will install it next year..

Reactions: WannabeOwner
FWIW I park in a car port, and reverse in, and the reverse camera plus dual side cameras mean its absolutely no bother. I only miss USS when parking forwards, or going through really tight gaps in traffic.
You could cancel, tell them why, and tell them to contact you when the functionality has been replicated. Might be a month, might be a year!
That’s good to know.. but I know how much I rely on it especially forward driving in right roads as I visit homes for a living shall we say (and drive the Tesla) and the amount of tight u turns and parking in general that I do I could not cope comfortably without the proximity sensors tbh.
(I would, but would take way less risks parking wise, meaning it will take me a lot more finishing parking in London on a daily basis where I could visit 6-10 places every day that adds a lot of time and convenience).

People voting with their feet / wallets will probably be the only thing that influences Tesla to act tbh.

My Y arrives next week and whilst I’ve not considered cancelling - it’s def taken some of the shine off.
So I have spoken to them and definitely grilled them in the phone and said in no uncertain terms that I will 99% will cancel and it will be 100% down to the sensors being removed.
And to the fact that they decided to let me know exactly 2 weeks before collection when they knew since November 2022 that this is happening.
I ordered in august (refused my first car in Dec) and glad I did as prices dropped right after.

I’m waiting for my mind to cool down and for realisation to set in to definitely cancel.

Also FYI for anyone concerned they WILL refund the £200, didn’t even need to bring in material change to the contract..

You could always get a used one?
View attachment 910784
Thank you for bringing this forward. Personally… I wouldn’t go down that route for a Meanley £3k-£4K currently..
especially since it’s a business purchase I’d benefit from the car being brand new…

But I was just talking about second hand cars earlier with my other half and predicted a surge in demand for older models due to the sensors unless Tesla vision is implemented asap.. (I’m predicting nothing until Q3-Q4 personally)

If enough people cancel and quote that as the reason they might put them back.

My Y has them, but I would have cancelled if I had been in your position. I will go for something else next time if Tesla continue on the current trajectory. The build quality is only as good as the suspension it turns out, that is so bad its slowly rattling the car apart.

Such a shame basic things, which should be easy, can’t be done right.