Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm as confused as a milkman at a crematory...
I have a 2 week old Model 3, which came with 2021.35.something...
Also a 22 month old Model 3 which had 2021.36.something, IIRC.
Last Monday or so, both updated to 2021.44.6. Got the single door unlock option and that's about it.
However, comma, no change to the UI we have had for most of the year, none of the stuff listed as being in 2021.44.25, like the light show,
customizable launcher, simplified controls, etc.
The new one came (2 December) withdthe USB in the glovebox, two type Cs in the console well, which power things (haven't futzed with data yet), but I don't seem to have wireless charging. I pinges tesla about the latter, and they said I would be contacted. It's always something nutty going on.
Not sure who to believe anymore, except that I am over the moon with my new Tesla, as I still am with the first two. Kind of like Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates, I guess...
7-8 years ago we early adopters were to proud of our S's, that we took a pillow and went out and slept in the car, 2-3 times a week for months. I am serious.

Reactions: drdumont
7-8 years ago we early adopters were to proud of our S's, that we took a pillow and went out and slept in the car, 2-3 times a week for months. I am serious.
I can relate to that. My Model 3s are so comfortable that if I get to work early I will nap in the car, and on short turn arounds (Leave work at 2300 and return at 0400), I just put the seat all the way back and snooze very comfortably rather than drive home and back. Hooray for Dog Mode! Fortunately I am also a practicioner of The Power of Positive Napping.
I occasionally deliver exotic birds for a breeder. Part of the allure is that the birds don't go through the frightening flying/air freight experience. They never have to leave the climate controlled cabin, and since I will drive and nap according to my timetable, they are not left alone or have to be schlepped in and out of a motel. So when it comes to nap time, we all just relax. No fumes, no stress, and they don't lack for companionship. Sometimes Frank the Eclectus goes along as a chaperone.
I get to drive my wonderful car, see the scenery, and make a pretty nice buck.
There is no odor issue, as after I deliver the birdies, I'll run my small ozone generator for a half hour or so good time for a restaurant break), then drive for 30 minutes with the windows open. If Frank is along, I wait till I get home. Ozone is a nono for avian types.
Shortly after I got my first Model 3, I opined that I would marry it if I could, but the kids would have to be raised Electric!

What a mess. I can no longer just swipe right to get odometer information, swipe left to get tire pressures. Now it takes a couple of hits that need more focus on exactly where I am touching the screen, more distracting, more dangerous. Various other actions seem more obtuse. Would be better if I could put control shortcuts in the bottom bar but it is only for apps.

This is not an improvement in ergonomics, not visually appealing, not user friendly. Ugh.

44.25.2 just installed. Had my hopes up but, once again, it seems almost nobody working on the Tesla UI drives much. Still the big, useless, dangerously distracting animation of the car going down the road and no way to shrink or turn it off. Still the menus on top of the map/satellite when they should be in the utility space to the left. Still small fonts and no way to change them. And still WAY too much energy spent on silly games and parlor tricks. It's a car, for cripes sake, not a playpen. The fact that Tesla immediately backed down on "passenger play" when the NHSTA started an investigation proves they know they are on the wrong path. So much potential for a killer good UI all so sadly wasted.

Like Apple, the arrogance not design something without proper feedback and testing by consumers is glaring. You will like 4 icons at the bottom (apple). You will like it and get used to it we know what is best. We have degrees in UI and design…blah blah. All common sense thrown out the window.

Canceling FSD and dropping beta. Deal with this mess of a UI and see how the next 6 months go. Might be another one of my 1 yr car ownership experiments with Tesla. They are nerfing it up. But hey, there is a stupid light show!!!

What a mess. I can no longer just swipe right to get odometer information, swipe left to get tire pressures. Now it takes a couple of hits that need more focus on exactly where I am touching the screen, more distracting, more dangerous. Various other actions seem more obtuse. Would be better if I could put control shortcuts in the bottom bar but it is only for apps.

This is not an improvement in ergonomics, not visually appealing, not user friendly. Ugh.
Totally agree with everything you mentioned.

Also I think the apps icons/layout look like android now. I like the original Tesla-unique not-too-colorful style.

Oof. Terrible. It seems like they must have lost all of their good designers and coders and just have a bunch of enthusiastic but inexperienced people now. Anybody with even a little bit of UX experience know that you try to make the UI match the use case. People who only use the iPad UI and think Apple is the be-all end-all of user design and don't ever drive the car, let alone in nasty situations like blasting rain or icy roads. I think it's not an accident that the UI rips off all the UX from the iPad even as a tablet UI makes no sense for a metal box at 70 mph. But hey, pretty.

ipad.PNG

So I can put apps in the bottom bar, just like an iPad, but I cannot put functions in the bottom bar. Like wiper cards. What a primitive way to look at UX, everything has to be an 'app'. Lame. I wish Tesla had designers that could focus on the actual driving experience instead of copying Apple.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I'm going to skip this one as long as I can, the UI was already half baked, now it's 1/4 baked.

Anybody looking to avoid updates- the best way I found to do this is to disable WiFi in your car. It will show an orange arrow that you have an update, but won't nag you every time you get in. If you leave it on WiFi, it will automatically download, and then nag you with a dialog every time you get in.

Oof. Terrible. It seems like they must have lost all of their good designers and coders and just have a bunch of enthusiastic but inexperienced people now. Anybody with even a little bit of UX experience know that you try to make the UI match the use case. People who only use the iPad UI and think Apple is the be-all end-all of user design and don't ever drive the car, let alone in nasty situations like blasting rain or icy roads. I think it's not an accident that the UI rips off all the UX from the iPad even as a tablet UI makes no sense for a metal box at 70 mph. But hey, pretty.

View attachment 748124

So I can put apps in the bottom bar, just like an iPad, but I cannot put functions in the bottom bar. Like wiper cards. What a primitive way to look at UX, everything has to be an 'app'. Lame. I wish Tesla had designers that could focus on the actual driving experience instead of copying Apple.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I'm going to skip this one as long as I can, the UI was already half baked, now it's 1/4 baked.

Anybody looking to avoid updates- the best way I found to do this is to disable WiFi in your car. It will show an orange arrow that you have an update, but won't nag you every time you get in. If you leave it on WiFi, it will automatically download, and then nag you with a dialog every time you get in.
It is probably not a lack of good UI designers and coders (thought that may be part of it given how quickly Tesla grinds through people), it is a failure of management (Elon). He has the final (and probably only) say in all this. It is his juvenile taste and judgment we are being subjected to, and there is no way in hell there is any usability testing going into this. I knew when he said "all input is error" at the Plaid event that good UI improvements was not in the cards any more.

I'm not a fan of how everything seems hidden in menus. In order to adjust window defog, defrost, or seat heaters we now have to open the climate menu. I liked these better as single tap buttons.

Also, I activated the side view camera on turn, now when I signal to turn in my driveway, that window obscures my homelink button... hm. Maybe I'll just stop signaling.

So far I think I can live with the rest of the UI changes.

Personally, I've never seen a new UI that lots of people didn't hate. I'm the type of person that can get used to almost any UI. It's not possible to put everyone's favorite functions on the main screen; and it doesn't really make sense to make everything customizable from a support standpoint. Most users probably don't know the exact name of every function, so if all the instructions had to specify names rather than position, it would most likely make a lot more people unhappy.

However... I do get annoyed at the silly additions in lieu of making the real functions work well. One annoyance I try to use but have a lot of trouble with is the scheduling. There seems to be hidden schedules that we have no way to see or delete. So if I enable a scheduled departing time, other times also become enabled that I don't want. A lot of times, I'll remember to turn it back off after the one I want, only to find it enabled for some other time. This is not that complicated, but they're too busy giving us new fart sounds and ways to burn out the lights faster.

Reactions: house9 and navguy12
Personally, I've never seen a new UI that lots of people didn't hate. I'm the type of person that can get used to almost any UI. It's not possible to put everyone's favorite functions on the main screen; and it doesn't really make sense to make everything customizable from a support standpoint. Most users probably don't know the exact name of every function, so if all the instructions had to specify names rather than position, it would most likely make a lot more people unhappy.

However... I do get annoyed at the silly additions in lieu of making the real functions work well. One annoyance I try to use but have a lot of trouble with is the scheduling. There seems to be hidden schedules that we have no way to see or delete. So if I enable a scheduled departing time, other times also become enabled that I don't want. A lot of times, I'll remember to turn it back off after the one I want, only to find it enabled for some other time. This is not that complicated, but they're too busy giving us new fart sounds and ways to burn out the lights faster.
I wholehertedly concur. I have been soundly shouted down for expressing the opinion that mayhap Tesla could spend more time on making the UI work properly, that we could get by with less silly games and other diversions from the primary purpose of the device. ITS A CAR, PEOPLE! AN AUTOMOBILE! --- Sorry, I got a little carried away.
The scheduling gets bollixed, especially from the app. Set a time and it changes the time to something random.
However, comma, I kind of take issue re customizing. If I can customize the home pages on an Android phone or on my PC, why can't I put most used functions on the main screen for instant access, and move seldom used functions out of the way? Bring back buttons and switches, if we have to go through this tsouris every time some programmer gets a wild hair?

44.25.2 just installed. Had my hopes up but, once again, it seems almost nobody working on the Tesla UI drives much. Still the big, useless, dangerously distracting animation of the car going down the road and no way to shrink or turn it off. Still the menus on top of the map/satellite when they should be in the utility space to the left. Still small fonts and no way to change them. And still WAY too much energy spent on silly games and parlor tricks. It's a car, for cripes sake, not a playpen. The fact that Tesla immediately backed down on "passenger play" when the NHSTA started an investigation proves they know they are on the wrong path. So much potential for a killer good UI all so sadly wasted.

actually they did enlarge the font for spotify now with the result that you see like half as many songs as before which is just annoying scrolling through long playlists.

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont