Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 lease is up in about a year but Leaseplan will let me informally extend for as long as I want

At the moment a new M3, a MY, a Cybertruck and a used MS Performance are all on the list for me :)
That’s good to know leaseplan will let you informally extend. My plan is to keep the m3 for the 2 year lease and then pcp a model y, lease is up Oct 21, but I can’t see the m y being available by then so I’m glad there’s an option to keep the m3 until it is ready. I’d also opt for a LR model over the current sr+ oh and white seats, so I’d best start saving!

According to Wikipedia the Model Y is 71mm wider than the 3. On country roads, even the 3 can feel uncomfortably wide.

I read two articles today and the difference was quoted as either 1.7 or 2.3 inches. Tesla choose not to include dimensions on their website for some reason, that would be helpful of them. If they do I can’t find it.

I actually find any car a challenge on single track country roads, coped OK with my Model 3 up in the Highlands last week but I always find them quite a stressful experience for some reason.

Isn't it the same as the M3?
What I don't like with the Y is those black trims around the wheel arches.

I’m not convinced by the whole black instead of chrome thing on the Y actually. Would much prefer it if they provided a choice. I suppose they are trying to go with the sports utility angle, and several Model 3 owners did the chrome delete mod, but it’s not my preference.

I’m only interested in the Y for dog and space related practicality, that’s it really.

How does that work, you keep the same contract? I'm a year in to 2 year lease with them, and because they doubled my mileage when I asked for free - I think I would quite like the option of extending!

As for OP, I'm currently planning on going to Model Y from 3. Need more room, and higher access would be so much better for kid(s) (and grandparents).

Currently the 3 is fine for us with 3yr old and the dog on back seat - but she's only a Scottie.

Leaseplan doubled your mileage for free? What exactly did you say to who?! Could save me a fortune!

Leaseplan doubled your mileage for free? What exactly did you say to who?! Could save me a fortune!
I couldn't believe it either!

My broker (Frontier) phoned them for me a few months back, as I was realising 9000 miles was a little ambitious for me (or the M3 too good to not drive everywhere).

I expected a fair price to go to say 12000, but the quote came back as the same price. I tested my luck and said, ok how about 18000? It came back as 1p more a month...

Not sure how much higher I could have gone, but I'm going to struggle to fill that -but happy to try.

She checked and double checked it with them, and it wasn't a mistake. So worth trying and good luck!!

Reactions: chr15toffer
No. Really? I love that low slim front end.
It's funny how it takes all sorts. I'm no fan of the M3 it looks like "An car" but every small crossover looks ugly to me. Every single one just goes against what I think a car should look like. Awkward, overly tall (which, of course reduces range and affects performance) and just not sleek as a car should look.

Absolutely. I’m swapping 3 for Y as soon as it’s available. You can get a tow hitch on the performance Y so no compromises as there are with the 3. Swap LR3 for YP
It makes even less sense to get a performance Y.

That's the one where you'll notice the worse handling from the extra height, and the fact its slower. If you're into performance surely the 3 is the only way to go, or you're paying more for less performance

just switched in US. Must say, I loved the drive of the 3.. .and well, the Y is near identical feel on the curves and swerves. The kids love the extra leg room.. and the middle seat fold down is genius, and the full hatch back access is a wonder... the bigger frunk, the heat pump winter range gain, the full view ceiling, don't hesitate, a move to the Y is only a gain. The loss is about a half sec on the 0-60, and top speed a bit lower.. which for me is no loss. The acceleration on the AWD model Y is still eyeball rolling.

Reactions: roadcred and Roy W.
It makes even less sense to get a performance Y.

That's the one where you'll notice the worse handling from the extra height, and the fact its slower. If you're into performance surely the 3 is the only way to go, or you're paying more for less performance

Y performance isn’t much different that the 3 I don’t think? But it’s the massive towing capability of the Y over the 3 which is useful. Only reason I got a LR3 was to have the tow hitch or I would of got the P. Y allows tow hitch with performance.

Reactions: Js1977