Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else ticked off the Model S has no spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you carry spares for every other critical piece of the vehicle? What makes the tires so special?

I spend a LOT of time outside of cell coverage in the mountains, often on gravel back roads. Still never needed a spare tire in my life, I've patched a few, but never changed one. I don't plan on lugging around that much extra weight, and taking up that much extra space, all for something that I've never needed in my entire driving career. I've been stranded by more dead batteries in my life than flat tires, and I never carried a spare one of those.
For you and the others who asked this, it's pretty simple: if I maintain my car well it shouldn't die on me while on the road. Dead batteries? While they do die one usually gets some warning and in cases where my battery was weak I just carried jumper cables and it was trivial to get going again. I've even roll-started a car and also have driven a car with a broken clutch cable (yes, you can shift without the clutch). But breakdowns are rare, especially with modern cars, and I can't remember the last one that wasn't a collision with a deer; at least two decades ago?

By contrast, flats happen. Unexpectedly and sometimes at inconvenient moments. And it has nothing to do with maintenance or prevention. I've had a number of them over the years and there's nothing I can do about it save for carrying a spare, plugging it if it is a simple tread puncture, or calling for help and canceling plans for awhile. If I have a spare I can continue with my trip and get the tire fixed or replaced at my convenience, which is what I did in May in Oregon 800 miles from home. Again, for those who've never had a flat or blown tire: "lucky you".

Having no spare was a considerable negative for me when considering Model S.

I decided to take the chance however, although do have the Tesla inflators and repair kit if needed.

In my previous vehicle, a 2007 Nissan xTerra, I had about 5 flats over 7 years. Most I think were in our back alleyway, where I think there was lots of construction debris, but one was on the freeway, and another on a road trip. I prefer pulling off the road to a quiet area and changing the wheel myself, as I can be done inside 20 minutes and on my way. The convenience argument for roadside to me is a fallacy, as it's not just a "quick call and then it's fixed", it's a quick call and then an hour waiting for roadside, a mission transferring kid seats to the rescue vehicle if needed for kids, some time in transit to the shop, and then it'll probably be Sunday night or July 4th!

I might look into the plug kit for our next road trip. On the xTerra the spare was stored under the vehicle, so no impact to storage space, no such clearance on the Tesla!

Still, it's a cool car though, loving it!

For the last 20 years, I've always carried a compressor and a plug kit regardless of whether my vehicle had a spare. I find unless the tire is not plugable, it's much faster, easier, cleaner and less work to plug it on the vehicle. I'd say in those 20 years, I've plugged 10 tires, and had 1 fail in a way it couldn't be plugged. In all 10 cases with the plugs, they held without any additional work needed for the life of the tire. I did have one that took 2 plugs. (different punctures)

I'm completely content to go w/o a spare on my Model S. If I was driving somewhere remote on a regular basis, I might see that differently. For instance, I don't think I'd hit the Dalton highway in AK w/o 4wd, a spare and a winch. (and definitely not in an EV at this point!)

Sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tire service truck to bring me a replacement tire and wheel. So I have plenty of time to post this. :wink:

I understand offering "full service" instead of a spare is nice for some people. But most of us can change our own damn tire. If we had a spare. In less time than it took for the Roadside Assistance to answer my call, much less for the service truck to get here.

To me, this design flaw is part of the same arrogance that gave us poor cup holders (under my elbow? really?), poor sun visors, no storage, no grab handles, and all the other annoyances that have been written about so much. The designers valued their "look" so much that they sacrificed the consumer's convenience. Silly. Rude, really.

Obviously, I could buy a spare wheel and tire. Has anyone done that? Since there is no tire well in the car, did you just throw the spare in the back or the frunk? And buy a jack? And a tire cover?

I have purchased a tire re-inflation kit (with sealant gunk) for true emergencies, when I really, really don't want to be stuck on the side of the road. But I am a bit hesitant to use that in "normal" situations. I would like to hear expert opinions on that subject as well.

Sigh.

P

Nope, not ticked. I keep a patch kit and compressor in the frunk.

Here's what my solution is, and it works out for me:
I have a set of snow tires on rims. Normally the car is wearing one set of tires or the other set. Around town, its just the car and 4 wheels, figuring that if I get a flat, I'm close enough to be easily rescued. However, when I go on a long distance trip, I'll toss a wheel/tire from the opposite set in the frunk, just in case. It won't match the rest of the tires, and the TMPS will probably freak out, but it will get me down the road and however long I need to go before getting the flat tire fixed.

Of course, this only works if you have a RWD car, and you live in an area where you might actually need snow tires...

Sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tire service truck to bring me a replacement tire and wheel. So I have plenty of time to post this. :wink:

I understand offering "full service" instead of a spare is nice for some people. But most of us can change our own damn tire. If we had a spare. In less time than it took for the Roadside Assistance to answer my call, much less for the service truck to get here.

To me, this design flaw is part of the same arrogance that gave us poor cup holders (under my elbow? really?), poor sun visors, no storage, no grab handles, and all the other annoyances that have been written about so much. The designers valued their "look" so much that they sacrificed the consumer's convenience. Silly. Rude, really.

You're right on the cup holders but I'd call it a poor design rather than arrogance. On all other issues, including the lack of a spare, I disagree that that customer's convenience was sacrificed. A friend of mine came over with his new Porsche Cayenne and I couldn't believe how much they packed into that vehicle. There's storage, handles, buttons and knobs galore. He said it was like the cockpit of a plane and he liked it but to each their own. I've learned that I don't need all the junk I packed into my last vehicle and the best thing that happened was the center console wait because by the time I was told I could order one (six month after getting the car) I decided it would ruin the wide open design and being 6' tall my knee often takes up that place. I put the GM cupholders in and it solved that problem. For me, there's no better design than the clean, buttonless, open design of the Tesla. I find that other vehicles exude arrogance. Tesla exudes minimalism. Of course, that doesn't appeal to everyone but it sure appeals to me.

I'm not ticket off since I knew it didn't have one when I bought it.

Since I bought a Tahoe Hybrid in 2008 I've also driven without a spare for 7 years now. But unlike you, I drive both my Tahoe and S out of cell phone coverage, and on remote gravel backroads (mostly this one):

Google Maps

I think my luck must be wearing thin but I'm knocking wood here.

My snap reaction is that that road is a clean one, therefore your statistics make sense to me. (To me clean means not only free of nails, pointy rocks, debri, etc., but also no potholes, sharp weird turns, geological formations in the roadway itself, other vehicles, other people in other vehicles likely to make it unclean and/or unpredictable, etc.)

Compare that to San Jose where I drive all the time: there are at least an average of two major potholes I hit every day, because Santa Clara County never fixes them at all. I've chewed through 10 rims in 2 years, and had a dozen flats. Also, the "road diet" communists in city and county hall are installing road-colored concrete curbs everywhere, in the middle of lanes, on every side of lanes, that you have to drive around constantly, and are completely invisible. These types of "road diet" obstacles have killed many people who have been hit by other people who crash into them after losing control after hitting one of these invisible road diets. Of course, they cause all sorts of vehicle damage, not the least of which is seriously damaged wheels. Sometimes, you get out of a brush with them with a very lucky simple flat tire (of a type a patch kit will never repair). I've avoided most of these myself using a "high-beam-only" policy whenever I encounter those types of obstacles at night, and immediately and always divert to another road that doesn't have them, and go back to highbeams only when there are no other vehicles. But it's yet another source of flats. Also in urban areas, there's lots of garbage that isn't innocent on tires. And finally, on my last long distance trip, I had to avoid 3 debri spills that could have taken out car parts including a tire (one was listed on Waze and two were not); I had both the following distance and reaction time capability to avoid all of them safely and calmly, but it is just one of those reminders that sometimes these things come up, and what if someone did zip around and cut me off and blind me to the hazards before I hit them?

So, I think your beautiful dirt road is a lot fancier than you imply it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you carry spares for every other critical piece of the vehicle? What makes the tires so special?

I spend a LOT of time outside of cell coverage in the mountains, often on gravel back roads. Still never needed a spare tire in my life, I've patched a few, but never changed one. I don't plan on lugging around that much extra weight, and taking up that much extra space, all for something that I've never needed in my entire driving career. I've been stranded by more dead batteries in my life than flat tires, and I never carried a spare one of those.

Second post from a rural Canadian who says they rarely get serious flats. I suspect my initial gut reaction extends to even more of Canada: your rural roads are relatively clean and good quality!

EDIT: And now I've seen a lot of USA urban drivers post, saying they get numerous flats, which leads me to believe that many urban areas have a lot of ghetto-garbage and ghetto-potholes causing flats. I've also seen many urban drivers post saying they don't get flats. I kind of recognize the urban areas that are worse at flats have more ghettos than the places people post from that aren't getting the flats. If you live your whole life in a city with nice roads and no messy people, you'll never get a flat, whereas if you live anyplace with potholes and nails, you'll get them all the time. I see this also happening to some people who are in the rural areas in USA, which leads me to believe that rural areas in USA are given to poor road maintenance and cleanliness, compared to our neighbor to the north. All this means is that people's different experiences all make sense.

Last edited:
Second post from a rural Canadian who says they rarely get serious flats. I suspect my initial gut reaction extends to even more of Canada: your rural roads are relatively clean and good quality!

Canadian roads are, in general, pretty clean. During the years I spent there, it was about one flat per two sets of tires (about 150K miles). Here in Texas I've had up to nine flats in three months. So far the Model S (19" tires) has done pretty well. Three flats in 57K miles.

Things people weren't doing with their spare tires:

1. Inflating them. Hidden away, spare tires get no attention and are very likely to come up flat when you need them.
2. Replacing them every 6 years. Oxidation (dry rot) necessitates replacement, but again, out of sight out of mind, few people did.
3. Using them. Studies found the majority of cars when going to the crusher at their end of life still had their original spare tire, unused.

So we got rid of them.

Sources:
Rubber Oxidation And Tire Aging - A Review
NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Project: Phase 1

TPMS actually solve this. Most tires end up being destroyed and needing a spare because they get run on low/no pressure after a puncture. At which point you discover that your spare tire has no air pressure in it. Awesome.

Secondarily, cell phones also make spare tires obsolete. Why carry around another 50 lbs of dead weight when that once-in-15-years event of a totally destroyed tire/wheel happens?

I can't imagine how dangerous it is to put a donut on a Tesla while trying to jack this 2.5 ton car up on a collapsible jack. I have staggered wheels, so the I'd be carrying around the dead weight of a donut, losing cargo space and trying to kill myself while trying to change tires without a hydraulic jack. That's a bad idea times three.

Much prefer the alternative off calling a 800 number and having someone come out with a flatbed. I've owned a number of german sports cars with staggered wheels and I'm quite familiar with having flats by the side of the road. In fact, I haven't had a single car in the last 10 years that even came with a flat tire.

Things people weren't doing with their spare tires:

1. Inflating them. Hidden away, spare tires get no attention and are very likely to come up flat when you need them.
2. Replacing them every 6 years. Oxidation (dry rot) necessitates replacement, but again, out of sight out of mind, few people did.
3. Using them. Studies found the majority of cars when going to the crusher at their end of life still had their original spare tire, unused.

So we got rid of them...
Hmm.

1. I'm aware of this problem so I have always carried a pump in my car. The last couple of decades it has been an easy-to-use compressor. Wouldn't be without it.

2. Oxidation is much less of a problem where I live since there is no air pollution (ozone is hard on rubber), the tire is out of the sun (I believe that UV is hard on rubber), and the climate is cool. So, tires last much longer than they do in a hot, polluted city. I understand that this isn't true for many others here. And when I buy new tires the best of the old ones becomes the new spare (on a car with a full size spare).

3. Having used the spares in every car I've ever owned that had one, usually several times, I guess it depends on where one lives.

I'd like the option of a spare (and jack). Those who don't need one can have it your way too. And those of us who spend a lot of time out in the boondocks would be able to self-rescue and continue with our trips without a major change in plans. Win-win.

I'd like the option of a spare (and jack). Those who don't need one can have it your way too. And those of us who spend a lot of time out in the boondocks would be able to self-rescue and continue with our trips without a major change in plans. Win-win.
So clearly your for your situation you should have a spare and a jack in your Model S. So you should certainly carry those items. Search online for someone who is selling a wheel, order a tire and have it mounted, and buy a suitable jack.
I think it is also clear that the majority of owners do not feel the need to carry a spare and a jack, and there is no compelling reason for Tesla to offer this items as an option since they are not difficult to purchase privately.
Win-win...

I think it is also clear that the majority of owners do not feel the need to carry a spare and a jack
It's more like there isn't any reasonably priced, reasonably sized, reasonably light weight, and reasonably safe jack, plus the tires are so large they take up a whopping amount of room, and they are very heavy. I also don't want to give up the front suitcase for a space saver spare. So I have been trusting to luck that I won't have a flat that a plug kit can't fix and that it won't be raining when it occurs--but I'm not happy about it.

Tesla supplying it wouldn't decrease the weight, wouldn't make it take less space, and wouldn't likely make it much cheaper.

Correct, but if Tesla suppled a space saver spare it would be integrated somewhere that would make it less of an elephant in a closet. (What I didn't want was to give up the frunk that I use as a suitcase when I travel).