Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else with glass defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear window has an imperfection that is causing object to have a distortion. I describe it like the old windows screen saver that would distort the wallpaper, except it doesn't move. Unfortunately, it's prominently where I look in the rear view. I didn't notice it at pickup since the entire background was black curtains but noticed it immediately upon driving it home. Others who have sat in my car can see it too so it's not just me.

I have an appointment today to have them assess.

Yes - I have exactly the same issue. VIN 13xxx, manufactured in early April. It's particularly evident around the bottom middle of the glass and seems to be related to the placement of the heater lines - as though their placement caused the glass to cure unevenly. Looking at car headlights though it looks almost like a Fresnel lens. Here's what I see (not the best pic, but I think it shows the problem):
Model 3 rear window.jpg

Those are constant-diameter cables (and a parking block) that appear to be changing diameter due to the distortion.

Please report back with what Tesla says - I'd like some ammunition when I talk to them. "Hey, here's another person with the same problem..."

Mine's in the shop right now. As far as I know, they're replacing the rear glass but I took it in for a few other things. Mine was only 1 spot that I noticed. I'll follow up with them today. My VIN is 9xxx.

Just got my update that the rear glass is in the process of being replaced.

Last edited:
Mine's in the shop right now. As far as I know, they're replacing the rear glass but I took it in for a few other things. Mine was only 1 spot that I noticed. I'll follow up with them today. My VIN is 9xxx.

Just got my update that the rear glass is in the process of being replaced.

I took my car in for panel gaps near the trunk and they just texted me saying they are replacing the full rear glass. I didn't even see if I had the same issue...

Reactions: fseir
Got my back last week, forgot to update. Rear glass looks better but still has the occasional waviness that bothers me a little but probably not enough to complain about it. Although there is a rattle at highway speeds now that may be the result of the replacement glass. I'm still tracking that one down.

Yep. Saw the same thing on delivery day. They said they hadn’t seen it before. They called me to bring it in 3 weeks later and I’m picking it up today after 24 hours in service. No biggie.

They replaced my back glass to try to fix trunk misalignment issue. Long story short that didn't fix the issue so now they are bringing it to the body shop for another 2-3 week wait!

It was right in line with road view on the drivers side. It was tiny though and only noticeable at certain angles. It resembled an unused staple caught in the glass.
Oh okay. Yeah that'd be annoying. I'm not sure if my observation is something to be concerned about or just something that happens with curved windshields. Objects with straight lines (mainly horizontal) get wavy/curvy distortions as they pass in front of certain spots of the glass. I see it from passenger seat, too, when looking at things through the driver side of windshield.

I haven’t looked for this rear glass distortion yet. Kind of afraid to, since it hasn’t bothered me so far.

I did have some scratches on my windshield that were present at delivery. Looked like detailing residue, but upon first wash, discovered they were scratches. Right in driver’s line of sight. I emailed service center, and they told me they are “ordering parts,” so hopefully that means “new windshield”.

7919B0D7-C15F-43D0-B740-058834A4F754.jpeg

Also have bad bumper alignment that I’m hoping they can fix, too. Pretty noticeable where the bumper meets the passenger side tail light.

67F4F3FC-07AE-422B-8E50-08C3FAA3372D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I haven’t looked for this rear glass distortion yet. Kind of afraid to, since it hasn’t bothered me so far.

I did have some scratches on my windshield that were present at delivery. Looked like detailing residue, but upon first wash, discovered they were scratches. Right in driver’s line of sight. I emailed service center, and they told me they are “ordering parts,” so hopefully that means “new windshield”.

View attachment 297375

Also have bad bumper alignment that I’m hoping they can fix, too. Pretty noticeable where the bumper meets the passenger side tail light.

View attachment 297374

They are doing a full panel adjustment around the car because they adjusted the back panels and now the sides look out of spec etc. it’s currently at chilton auto body that tesla is paying for, and I should pick up next Friday.

Yes, I took delivery of my Model 3 on Tuesday of this week. My front roof panel is misaligned so it appears tilted in relation to the windshield header. They ordered a new panel. After this, I noticed the significant distortion in the rear window and will also bring this to their attention.

There were also greasy hand marks on the headliner and some minor paint defects. Will wait until I wash it to see how many issues there are with the paint.
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
Love the car!

Yes, I took delivery of my Model 3 on Tuesday of this week. My front roof panel is misaligned so it appears tilted in relation to the windshield header. They ordered a new panel. After this, I noticed the significant distortion in the rear window and will also bring this to their attention.

There were also greasy hand marks on the headliner and some minor paint defects. Will wait until I wash it to see how many issues there are with the paint.View attachment 297426View attachment 297430 View attachment 297431 Love the car!
I also have some smudges in my headliner, though not nearly as bad as yours. The weather stripping next to this area also looks like something rubbed against it and removed its matte texture. I think they are going to replace the weather stripping, but the headliner smudging is barely noticeable (in normal lighting), so not a huge deal to me.

3432B048-C148-47FC-B6FF-08550B709E72.jpeg

I also have a minor problem where my headliner billows out slightly alone the driver’s A-pillar.