Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone for the Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda annoying that everything has to be a "tesla beater/killer/slayer" It's just great to have a wider choice that drives companies to make better products for better prices. I kinda lose respect for journalists that resort to click bait titles and the "tesla ZYX " titles do just that
Totally agree, I purposely try and avoid watching those types of reviews. The reviews I have watched of the ioniq 5 I am pretty impressed, and hopefully will speed up the EV revolution when released over here.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Kinda annoying that everything has to be a "tesla beater/killer/slayer" It's just great to have a wider choice that drives companies to make better products for better prices. I kinda lose respect for journalists that resort to click bait titles and the "tesla ZYX " titles do just that
It's not journos. It's f-ing subeditors that write headlines in most cases. Click bait uber alles.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
When my Model 3 is up for replacement in a year or so there's going to be so many competent EVs to test drive.

I'm not going to watch Johnny Smith's take, I think it's generally clear that I disagree with most of his opinions. Robert is more interesting.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I remember a time when every phone was the next "iPhone Killer" and yet they are still around. Mind you, they had great customer service to go with their great product......

Small but cool thing I like about the Ioniq5 is when indicating the side camera view comes up on the display. I'd imagine it would be useful when driving on the motorway network. I don't understand why Tesla don't have this function, it cant be too hard to configure on the Tesla software.

Reactions: Noddy2
Having watched them both Mr Smith's review was actually quite good - loved the bouncy castle

Yes, Robert's entertaining but Jonny Smith's reviews are in a different league these days. Ionic 5 ... looks good ... too wide for my part of the world* but should be a runaway success generally.

*Hawthorn hedges encroaching narrow roads ... ditches .... soft verges ... less scope for avoiding potholes

A test review just get loaded on Youtube.

At 18:50 there is a test of the V2L plug.

Good review that.

I think the Ioniq 5 looks fantastic. I like hatchbacks and the internal space of this hatchback looks ideal for my requirements.

I love my Model 3 but actually think this Hyundai would be a better fit for us in terms of practicality. Hatchback for loads and the dog etc.

It would easily handle 90% of my driving needs. Although when the football season recommences and we are allowed back into stadiums I’ll be making fairly regular 700 mile round trips up to Glasgow. The accessibility, reliability and hassle of the 3rd party charging network compared to Tesla’s supercharger network gives me the fear, really. I’m sure it’s getting better but the charging infrastructure is Tesla’s USP and it’s probably the only thing that make me think twice about buying an alternative EV like the Hyundai.

I test drove the Kia eNero and Hyundai Kona and was really unimpressed.

Felt like a Tesla M3 was the only option. Love it after 2 months, but I’m not a fanboy and would have considered the Ionic5 and perhaps the ID4 Polestar 2 because of the hatchback If they were available at the time.

Tesla just wins on range and charging for now though. But if there are loads of EVs to choose from that will go 300 miles, it will really help to move the EV transition along.

They aren’t marketing it in this way, but do you reckon the Ioniq5 would do vehicle to grid? That would be pretty cool.

I love Robert Llewelyn and Fully Charged, but Johnny Smith is a proper motor journalist and does a good review. He was my favourite thing about 5th Gear back in the day. Shame he left fully charged.

Last edited: