Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone for the Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the look of it and as others have said, it’s great to see EVs getting better. I’ve no plans to change my M3P for 3 years or more so I’m excited to think the options I’ll have then. That Tesla charging infrastructure is so compelling though.

If you want to compare it to a similarly priced Tesla Model 3 or whichever you want to compare it to, why not look at the basic data first?
  • Weight
  • Number of seats
  • Top speed
  • Acceleration
  • Charging speed
  • Range
  • Energy efficiency (Wh/km)
  • Battery capacity
  • Range
These are easy to compare. Then consider the Tesla Supercharger advantage on top.

If you want to compare it to a similarly priced Tesla Model 3 or whichever you want to compare it to, why not look at the basic data first?
  • Weight
  • Number of seats
  • Top speed
  • Acceleration
  • Charging speed
  • Range
  • Energy efficiency (Wh/km)
  • Battery capacity
  • Range
These are easy to compare. Then consider the Tesla Supercharger advantage on top.
Some of these are more important. Particularly efficiency and range (and seats I suppose,but I’m taking those as a given).

But public charging is getting better and when more EVs can get similar range to a Tesla like the Ioniq5 in hatchback shape, some people will choose them and this is a good thing.

I’ve never supercharged my Tesla (mostly due to a lack of Covid road trips) and not bothered about acceleration. Top speed is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
Small but cool thing I like about the Ioniq5 is when indicating the side camera view comes up on the display. I'd imagine it would be useful when driving on the motorway network. I don't understand why Tesla don't have this function, it cant be too hard to configure on the Tesla software.

I think the location of the image would be the problem on a M3. Merging right looking left at your screen would not be ideal.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I find the Kia EV6 GT a little better looking personally, but find it hard to commit £60K on a Kia, even though I'm sure it will be a great car in many departments. The price is still on par with a 3 performance and a lot of car for the money.
I'm loving it too, but the GT version's 250 miles of range is just too little for 60k. If they could improve that, I'll be waiting in line. My M3P's lease has another 18 months to run, so I'll see what's available at that point. Exciting times ahead.

Reactions: Watts_Up
That’s quite frankly outrageous. What an absolute let down for a ground up electric car. What’s gone wrong for such appalling range ?

I don't think anything has gone wrong, any SUV driven at that speed in those conditions will have terrible fuel economy; there was a lot of surface water showing on that video, probably sufficient cause the same effect as driving at 15-20mph faster.

I'm pretty sure an equivalent ICE car would have been close to single digit mpg. I think the answer to your question about what has gone wrong lies in the testing strategy, not the vehicle development.

Forget the range, what is going on with the UI on the main instrument cluster?? I know the camera was out of focus but still the amount of animations and changes in display icons is a mess. Hope the real production cars have better UI design!

I don't think anything has gone wrong, any SUV driven at that speed in those conditions will have terrible fuel economy; there was a lot of surface water showing on that video, probably sufficient cause the same effect as driving at 15-20mph faster.

I'm pretty sure an equivalent ICE car would have been close to single digit mpg. I think the answer to your question about what has gone wrong lies in the testing strategy, not the vehicle development.

Hopefully it’ll do better in other tests, it’s not ideal conditions for a BEV. I’ll see what Bornjne does with it as he’ll have some solid data to compare it with.

I’d hardly call this an SUV though plus this is ideal conditions give or take for an ICE car to get close to its maximum efficiency. Just sat at a single speed the whole time without acceleration / braking. I’d pretty sure you’d be able to get over double digits on a proper boxy SUV like the Defender in this test. Hell pretty sure I’d get over 20mpg on my 6.6 litre V12 in this test. A regular sized diesel car could be pushing up in the 40 - 50 mark I’d imagine.

It’s not an SUV. Just a big car. So it’s acceptable that in the rain (likely in the UK) you can achieve maybe 130 miles? Nonsense. It’s crap. Quite simply.

I really like the look of the Ioniq 5 plus the hatchback and Apple CarPlay features would work well for me. However, I’ll pay attention to more real world reviews as they come along as that range is clearly unacceptable for a EV that is supposed to do just shy of 300 miles. In the worst weather it would be reasonable to expect to get at least 200 miles out of it surely?

It’s not an SUV. Just a big car. So it’s acceptable that in the rain (likely in the UK) you can achieve maybe 130 miles? Nonsense. It’s crap. Quite simply.

It's being described by the press as an SUV, but Hyundai are calling it a CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle). Technically the difference is that an SUV tends to be based on a platform originally used for something like a pickup and a CUV is based on a platform used by a saloon; so you can say that it's just a big car in the same way you could say something else was just a small pickup, but that's just semantics I think.

Our old Outlander would do about 300 miles at 70 in dry sunny conditions so I am quite prepared to consider the supposition that it would struggle to make 200 miles if driven at 80 in very wet conditions.

You're right, it's crap, but right now we only have this single test to go on and I personally don't find the terrible economy particularly surprising given the way it was being driven.

There's something not right about the test, the weather was dreadful and while driving at 80 mph in heavy rain is far from idea I can't imagine Hyundai become so bad compared to the cars they're proviously made which have been pretty good. I think a lot of makes start with poor battery performance and software updates fix, just look at the latest M3P model cold weather performance (they've partly fixed now)- when Bjorn did his video it would have struggled to even do 80mph at one point.

Reactions: browellm
There's something not right about the test, the weather was dreadful and while driving at 80 mph in heavy rain is far from idea I can't imagine Hyundai become so bad compared to the cars they're proviously made which have been pretty good. I think a lot of makes start with poor battery performance and software updates fix, just look at the latest M3P model cold weather performance (they've partly fixed now)- when Bjorn did his video it would have struggled to even do 80mph at one point.

Yes I would agree. I’d like to see more tests of the Ioniq 5 range in real world driving but also thought they had pretty good battery tech.

It's being described by the press as an SUV, but Hyundai are calling it a CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle). Technically the difference is that an SUV tends to be based on a platform originally used for something like a pickup and a CUV is based on a platform used by a saloon; so you can say that it's just a big car in the same way you could say something else was just a small pickup, but that's just semantics I think.

Our old Outlander would do about 300 miles at 70 in dry sunny conditions so I am quite prepared to consider the supposition that it would struggle to make 200 miles if driven at 80 in very wet conditions.

You're right, it's crap, but right now we only have this single test to go on and I personally don't find the terrible economy particularly surprising given the way it was being driven.
It's a car, it might have a bit more ground clearance than some cars but it's a car in my book. I liken it to some of the All-Trail type cars you'd get which where the standard saloon or estate but just jacked up slightly. It's still around half the ground clearance as you'd get on a real SUV. If you look at Land Rover's, they are unibody these days rather than body on frame but still called SUV's. They can call it a CUV if they want but it doesn't seem remotely like one in my book, that's just marketing for you.

I find it very hard to believe that a lot of rain and 10mph more would knock 100 miles of range off an ICE.