Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get autopark to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the mileage when you should have them rotate the tires?

A friend of mine and I went driving in a parking lot after I had some success just in my day using the autopark feature. We just drove around looking for spaces that SHOULD accept the car and practicing getting the P to come up. It was an issue with having to be MUCH closer to the cars you want to park between than I thought I should be. All new car drivers are overly cautious as to where the other side of their car is. I do love that the car parks on either the right or left depending on which side you are closest to. Not saying that I have it 100%, but I am not worried that it's not working on my car.

-Randy

I did a test drive at Tesla in Buena Park CA a few weeks ago. I drove around for about 45 minutes. On the freeway and on local streets. I did self park on a neighborhood street (parallel), got close to the parked car on the street and the M3 performed perfectly. This was a real WOW! Then we drove to a nearby shopping center and I did a perpendicular park. The M3 backed into the spot and did it as I expected it would.

In both cases as I passed the parking spot I was going about 5 mph or slower until the P came on.

This really works but you need to go slow and be near the other car in front of the parking spot.

Last edited:
If you're parking a fully loaded Tesla between two parking spots with vehicles in them.

Then you've no right to whine about the dings and scratches caused by peoples belt buckles, watches , keys , doors, zippers, buttons as they try and gymnast thier way into thier non T.

This feature is ridiculous for a pricey vehicle. Unless you're very wealthy. I should be able to set it to park in a spot with zero other cars around.

That's the only way I'd use it .

Or

for parallel parking.

Otherwise I park in a spot with zero other vehicles around. Still someone side swiped my front nose cone near the sensor , paint transfer a week after I got it. Someone else set thier item on trunk lid and left a straigh 2 inch scratch!.

In Canada the Base model s /x are 95k plus 15%. Plus the nonsense paperwork fees. $120k+ for small battery single motor. No options.

I always park as far from other cars as I can. But I did use the autopark for parallel parking last week and it worked exactly as I would anticipate. I pulled myself into position put it in reverse and the option popped up on my screen. I pushed the button and it parked perfectly between the other two vehicles.

If you're parking a fully loaded Tesla between two parking spots with vehicles in them.

Then you've no right to whine about the dings and scratches caused by peoples belt buckles, watches , keys , doors, zippers, buttons as they try and gymnast thier way into thier non T.

This feature is ridiculous for a pricey vehicle. Unless you're very wealthy. I should be able to set it to park in a spot with zero other cars around.

That's the only way I'd use it .

Or

for parallel parking.

Otherwise I park in a spot with zero other vehicles around. Still someone side swiped my front nose cone near the sensor , paint transfer a week after I got it. Someone else set thier item on trunk lid and left a straigh 2 inch scratch!.

In Canada the Base model s /x are 95k plus 15%. Plus the nonsense paperwork fees. $120k+ for small battery single motor. No options.
You can use it for parallel parking between 2 cars. I would love not having to park next to other cars but that is impossible in major cities.

I saw the P come on while I was about to back in next to another car on an end spot (not, parallel and I thought it only worked between cars where there was no other car due to this being an end location). I saw the P, put it into reverse and saw the start button appear so hit it and monitored the car as it parked itself :)

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I still have not had many "offers" to park. A couple times when backing into my driveway the magic "P" appeared, but it stopped as soon as the wheels touched the incline into the driveway.
I've never tried it on a hill. Curious how it would do trying to parking between 2 cars on a hill in SF. I will never, ever try this but I would love to see a video of another person trying.

Yeah...the “P” just doesn’t appear for me...tried turning off/on the feature but still no worky....but occasionally when I put it in reverse while parking the blue auto park button does pop up. When it does appear and I try to use it...it fails to complete. I’m obviously not that concerned about it since I just had my first service center visit to rotate the tires, add trunk garnish and replace my right side steering wheel stalk..and I totally forgot to even mention my auto park issues.
PS - all services were complimentary, no charge! Love it.

Hey! Did your Autopark issue eventually get resolved? Mine keeps canceling it almost every time (only tried for perpendicular spots) as well except two times when it did park but oddly enough still said Canceled toward the end.

I've had the TM3 for a week now, tried to trigger autopark several times per day, only had it show up twice. The first time it was cancelled almost immediately, the second time it wanted to park underneath the stairs outside our house, which would have crashed into the back window.
I'm very good at parking so it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bother my fiance, what bothers me is how awful autopilot is. Even on aggressive mode it will seldom change lanes, people keep driving past me on the right side while flicking me off because it never finds a suitable spot to get into the right lane. While driving in a queue it leaves several car lengths even while creeping (I set the distance down to 2), so people pull in in front of me all the time, I'm practically stand still indefinitely when there's a slow moving queue. But that pales in comparison to the insane amount of ghost braking it does. I really hope it will do a better job at self driving when that feature comes out because the current state of FSD is useless. It will even steer me over to the wrong lane sometimes.

Here is a one liner :)
"under 10mph, as close to the spot as possible. keep driving until P displayed"

detail steps:
0) find a spot between two cars (either parallel or horizontal)
1) go real slow (say 5 miles per hour)
2) drive as close as possible to the intended spot
3) keep driving further from the spot until P appears
4) bring M3 to full stop
5) put it in reverse
6) follow on screen instructions
7) press break to get the hang of control (to get confident)

other observations:
feels very slow as we are just sitting there.
pressing break pauses autopark.
if possible, let the impatient driver(s) to pass by breaking :(
I'm not sure about pedestrian behavior, so I pause and let them go

Reactions: diplomat33
I have 2 model 3's and have been using autopark regularly and frequently for 18 months. it has always worked perfectly. also, although I understand the desire to park away from other cars but if you do what do you need autopark for? anyone should be able to park a car easily in an empty part of the lot.