Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 - No Park Assist at all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan of posts or replies that only complain with no offered solution, but this reply has a little sweet with the salt. Unfortunately, Tesla with all its computer and camera wonderment failed to offer what lesser cars have standard - front bumper camera/360 view. The majority of us, if not nearly all, park in a garage, parallel park at some point, or straight in park with a curb stopper that may or may not be taller than the lowest area of the front bumper. That's that salt.

I really don't have any sweet, but have scoured forums and sites looking for front bumper candy. Why hasn't someone made a solid camera that can be discretely installed without having to also buy a $600 headsup screen that is sketch. Someone should jump into this gap that Tesla created and make a mint by building a package that has a front camera that can easily mount in the small grill opening (most Tesla owners don't have or install the front license plate), have it integrate into Tesla's existing camera option.

Or, and this is crazy talk, why doesn't Tesla offer this as an option like their HomeLink to install a simple camera that plugs into a harness and taps into their camera system. I mean seriously, this is so ridiculous. But for now I have a stupid tennis ball hanging from a string from the garage ceiling to park a $55K MYP. Of course we know a Tesla cost way more than what they sell it for because everyone has to spend thousands more to get it to where it should have been delivered like other mid-range luxury cars.

Sorry for the saltiness, but I'd rather have a car I can confidently park than one that farts Elon!
Very true. Brining up a problem without a solution is called whining! Lots of that on all these boards.

Reactions: OlyY
I took delivery of 2023 MY LR yesterday. It came with HW4. The park assist is not there even after driving more than 50 calibration miles.
I don't even see any error like "Park Assist is Unavailable". It is nothing there at all when I pull the car slowly (less than 5 mph) into the garage or reverse (except the camera in reverse). I think I am on the latest software - 2023.12.200.
Any thoughts what's going on?
I am guessing you got the update that added park assist, but if you didn't after a period of time for the camera's to calibrate, an update will be available that will add park assist. Mine was horrible at the start, but is getting better at measuring distances.

Park Assist has some very stringent requirements when it works. More than likely the criteria are not getting matched and/or you are missing the indicator when it mysteriously pops up.

For it to work, one of the criteria is that there has to be one empty space in-between two parked cars. Not two spaces, just one. And many have realized that at this time, it is extremely slow and cautious, much quicker to do it yourself. This will hopefully be improved in the future.
I've owned my car since 2020 and, up until last week never attempted self-park. My niece was in town, and the icon popped up, so I thought I'd show her how bad it was ( everything I read said it sucks) well, it did an amazing job with no hesitation at all. I thought it might just have been luck, so I tried it again, and once again, it nailed it. I know two attempts isn't much of a track record, so I'll watch it like a hawk, but it was quicker and far superior to our Mercedes self-park.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I am guessing you got the update that added park assist, but if you didn't after a period of time for the camera's to calibrate, an update will be available that will add park assist. Mine was horrible at the start, but is getting better at measuring distances.
Now I have it too after latest SW update. Mine is at the stage, where it cries "Sky is falling" all the time :)

Park Assist has some very stringent requirements when it works. More than likely the criteria are not getting matched and/or you are missing the indicator when it mysteriously pops up.

For it to work, one of the criteria is that there has to be one empty space in-between two parked cars. Not two spaces, just one. And many have realized that at this time, it is extremely slow and cautious, much quicker to do it yourself. This will hopefully be improved in the future.

Let me add, that aside from HW4 issues, Parking Assist does not work for parking in a garage. It only works in parallel parking or parking lot style parking. The original/basic mode of Summon can move a car into or out of a garage space, but that may be limited/unavailable by the switch Tesla Vision.

To avoid confusion, this is Park Assist...

PA.png

Just the beepy beep proximity sensing to assist manual parking. What you seem to be talking about is Autopark, aka self-parking. Autopark has not yet been restored to any vehicles without ultrasonic sensors, either HW3 or HW4.

Reactions: GalacticHero
To avoid confusion, this is Park Assist...

View attachment 946493

Just the beepy beep proximity sensing to assist manual parking. What you seem to be talking about is Autopark, aka self-parking. Autopark has not yet been restored to any vehicles without ultrasonic sensors, either HW3 or HW4.
Thanks for clarity. Yes I was talking about Park Assist. It is now available with latest update, although the feature is not very helpful TBH. It certainly needs polishing.

Ive had my MYP for a couple weeks now and while I'm frustrated about the FSD delays for HW4, everything mostly works that I need. The car is wicked fast and I had no issues with quality on delivery. I do have some quirks:
1. Car regularly says "parking assist loading" and "park assist degraded." Not confidence inspiring and it's regularly wrong. It showed that I had driven through a signpost in front of me when I probably had two feet. Bothers me that it's THAT much off and frankly, I don't trust it at this point.
2. While driving, it regularly says one of the cameras is blocked or blinded. I can't see anything that would do that AND at one point, it was saying the right side camera was blocked, but it was still accurately picking up garbage cans and mailboxes (which it always thinks are more garbage cans.) Is that an HW4 issue or potentially a camera issue?
3. I've had no software updates. I know they're coming more slowly these days, but I can see several have gone out. I've had 2023.20.100.1 since delivery. (Yes, Ive connected to wifi.) Again, is this HW4, or just a quirk?

All in all, this car is an A, but should be an A+. Any assistance appreciated.

And now Park Assist has radically changed with the most recent update (40.30.6). The lines with distances are gone and now everything close to the car is a amorphous blob shaded gray to red to indicate that you're in danger of hitting something. I bet they took out the distance measures because it was so off and they were looking at a class action from all the people who have dinged their bumper when the screen is telling them they still have 15 inches of clearance. But hey, Elon, go play on Twitter some more. It's fine.

And now Park Assist has radically changed with the most recent update (40.30.6). The lines with distances are gone and now everything close to the car is a amorphous blob shaded gray to red to indicate that you're in danger of hitting something. I bet they took out the distance measures because it was so off and they were looking at a class action from all the people who have dinged their bumper when the screen is telling them they still have 15 inches of clearance. But hey, Elon, go play on Twitter some more. It's fine.

I’ve never had parking sensors in any of my cars and have managed to survive. Out of curiosity I tested the new parking viz and was surprised how good it was. It’s not perfect and I could see where it would fall short if you were trying to get right up against something, but who’s routinely pulling inches up to an obstacle?

Reactions: WyoDude
I’ve never had parking sensors in any of my cars and have managed to survive. Out of curiosity I tested the new parking viz and was surprised how good it was. It’s not perfect and I could see where it would fall short if you were trying to get right up against something, but who’s routinely pulling inches up to an obstacle?
Occasionally people have to park in tight spaces. Whether it's a garage built for cars that were commonplace 30 years ago instead of the sizes they've grown today, parallel parking in a city, small assigned parking spots at work, etc.

Personally speaking my use case is such that it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but it's certainly a downgrade compared to prior.

Reactions: E90alex
A) I have to pull within inches of stuff in my garage every day.
B) With USS the system was significantly more accurate than it is now, so the issue is they gave people functionality that has now been downgraded. And weirdly enough, I didn't get any rebate for having a car that is less functional now than it was in the past.

A) I have to pull within inches of stuff in my garage every day.
B) With USS the system was significantly more accurate than it is now, so the issue is they gave people functionality that has now been downgraded. And weirdly enough, I didn't get any rebate for having a car that is less functional now than it was in the past.
I do too.

But by using the mirrors and the focus pattern of the tail lights (or parking lights) I get it done without looking at the screen.

Reactions: ngng
I really don't get how many people are willing to give Tesla a pass on taking away functionality and replacing it with crap. Sure I got by without parking sensors before. Just because I didn't have them before, doesn't mean I shouldn't want them now. I can apply the same logic to many things. Heck, in the Southern US, you probably don't need AC either? All you Minnesotans, I am sure you don't need heat either. I drove a VW bug without any heat in the winter just fine and got by using an ice scraper on the inside of the windshield.

Were does this end? I don't know about all of you but I got screwed when Tesla removed (deactivated) radar from my S that was purchased with it and replaced it with TeslaVision. I also was one of the first in 2021 to be (un)fortunate enough as well to have my car that was ordered with radar receive a car without radar. I then had to deal with the total shitshow that the first iteration of TeslaVision was. I suffered with phantom braking from hell.

By comparison, the removal of USS is nothing, but it is still a big FU to the consumer. Just like removing stalks. What a cluster truck the lack of a turn signal stalk is when going through a roundabout. I purposely didn't buy a 2023 Plaid because they removed USS, and it is a feature I use a lot. Even with upgraded HW4 as a potential plus, know Tesla, by the time it has any meaningful advantages over HW3, HW5 will be out, and it may be better to upgrade the entire car. By then, Tesla will have gone away from any electronic park assist and go really old school and put on curb feelers from the 70s if they found it would save them a buck or two per car.

I park in a lot of different garages and go to different client locations, USS has definitely helped. Sure, I could get by without them, but why should I, as it definitely speeds up parking in a lot of situations. Thankfully my wife's 3 has them or that car would have been beaten to hell already.

Reactions: jkdman123
I took delivery on a new MYLR last week and am trying to figure out the parking assist. After 107 miles, the cameras are hopefully calibrated, but how do you tell? I'm unable to upload pics to this site right now, but what I see in my garage or at a supercharger is gray clouds around three sides of my car with orange or red glows where I presume I should see warning measurements. I also do not get the Autosteer "wheel" symbol on the driving side of the display when I should. Any thoughts?

Vistan