Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 - No Park Assist at all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of 2023 MY LR yesterday. It came with HW4. The park assist is not there even after driving more than 50 calibration miles.
I don't even see any error like "Park Assist is Unavailable". It is nothing there at all when I pull the car slowly (less than 5 mph) into the garage or reverse (except the camera in reverse). I think I am on the latest software - 2023.12.200.
Any thoughts what's going on?

I took delivery of 2023 MY LR yesterday. It came with HW4. The park assist is not there even after driving more than 50 calibration miles.
I don't even see any error like "Park Assist is Unavailable". It is nothing there at all when I pull the car slowly (less than 5 mph) into the garage or reverse (except the camera in reverse). I think I am on the latest software - 2023.12.200.
What are you looking for?

Sorry if I was not clear. I am looking to use Park Assist while driving into the garage and reverse. Seems like from above posts that HW4 doesn't have it yet.
Park Assist has some very stringent requirements when it works. More than likely the criteria are not getting matched and/or you are missing the indicator when it mysteriously pops up.

For it to work, one of the criteria is that there has to be one empty space in-between two parked cars. Not two spaces, just one. And many have realized that at this time, it is extremely slow and cautious, much quicker to do it yourself. This will hopefully be improved in the future.

Reactions: Grabthar
Let me add, that aside from HW4 issues, Parking Assist does not work for parking in a garage. It only works in parallel parking or parking lot style parking. The original/basic mode of Summon can move a car into or out of a garage space, but that may be limited/unavailable by the switch Tesla Vision.

Reactions: AbraDabra007
When you say park assist - do you mean the visualization of distance to objects around the car?

2023.12.300.1 now has Park Assist on my 2023 MSP. Seems to work as good as I can expect. At first it said Park Assist Unavailable, but after two wheel reboot, it's working fine.

IMG_6073.jpeg

IMG_6072.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of posts or replies that only complain with no offered solution, but this reply has a little sweet with the salt. Unfortunately, Tesla with all its computer and camera wonderment failed to offer what lesser cars have standard - front bumper camera/360 view. The majority of us, if not nearly all, park in a garage, parallel park at some point, or straight in park with a curb stopper that may or may not be taller than the lowest area of the front bumper. That's that salt.

I really don't have any sweet, but have scoured forums and sites looking for front bumper candy. Why hasn't someone made a solid camera that can be discretely installed without having to also buy a $600 headsup screen that is sketch. Someone should jump into this gap that Tesla created and make a mint by building a package that has a front camera that can easily mount in the small grill opening (most Tesla owners don't have or install the front license plate), have it integrate into Tesla's existing camera option.

Or, and this is crazy talk, why doesn't Tesla offer this as an option like their HomeLink to install a simple camera that plugs into a harness and taps into their camera system. I mean seriously, this is so ridiculous. But for now I have a stupid tennis ball hanging from a string from the garage ceiling to park a $55K MYP. Of course we know a Tesla cost way more than what they sell it for because everyone has to spend thousands more to get it to where it should have been delivered like other mid-range luxury cars.

Sorry for the saltiness, but I'd rather have a car I can confidently park than one that farts Elon!

Here's what's been happening the past few years
1 - FSDb gets baby step fixes that fix some things and screw other things that worked
2 - EM says USS must go to save $100 per car but the firmware can't handle the loss of some function
3 - There are 2 tracks of firmware. Non FSD firmware that gets some really nice features. The FSDb is behind
and doesn't get them
4 - He announces HW4 and all of a sudden posters are gaga for getting HW4 in their new non USS 8 cameras
and wonder why stuff that worked on HW3 doesn't work any more

Its almost like he's get 3 or more sets of coders. As a former programmer of large IBM mainframes, you set the goals
of what the hardware you build into it and write the software to support it. There are extra paid features that the software recognizes that enhance the operating system with new features immediately and can operate with ALL supported machine models. This guy needs a matrix of cars/hardware/sw for you to
determine what you car can and cannot do. It's a GD mess

Reactions: Paige111
Fundamentally, there is only so much software can do to make up for the lack of hardware. When I heard USS (the parking sensors) were being removed, and I was in the market for a Plaid, the 2023 models were immediately off my list. I validated that by driving a 3 that already had the crap Tesla was using as a replacement for saving a few bucks on removing USS.

Tesla lost a sale on a new Plaid and I found a used one that still had USS. Who knows, when, if ever, how well, etc, their software will make up for the lack of USS. Using the front camera, which doesn't have a near as good of a front "view" or of the corners as the USS is a recipe for a lot of close encounters with the front end and a lot of things.

I feel bad for how many people are going to get suckered into this cluster. My USS has been accurate to about a 1/2" or right on the money. I need to park very precisely in some locations and the USS allows me to do that without getting out of the car and jockeying it around.

Reactions: GalacticHero