Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone getting close to 150 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 LR RWD

1.jpg

Could this be the SR+ ?
I know we expect the cap to be ~ 120 kW but the RM is higher than 4 miles per kWh in that model.

Addendum: Zoomit's LR estimate of 4.27 miles/kWh fits the arithmetic; and in turn that fits 76 kWh usable and 325 miles range. Those last two numbers are a YMMV
Looking like the person that took that screenshot has one of the Superseekrit versions of software, and maybe technically wasn't supposed to be posting that publicly either? ;)

150 kW charging into the battery has a curious trade-off for me. I used to charge at 115 kW and bask in my ability to run A/C or the heater with impunity.
Depending on the day, my cabin A/C already has been ineffective after a few minutes of Supercharging. Even after it started tapering to below 100kW the cooling system was so busy keeping up to the battery that putting the A/C on LO would blow warmish air. Not sure about the exact temp, but while it was better than just stagnate greenhouse in the sunshine it wasn't doing that much for me sitting in there. :p

I made a round trip from New Orleans to Chicago 2 weeks ago and received 145 - 150 kW on every supercharger stop (Pearl MS, Grenada MS, Memphis TN, Miner MO, Mount Vernon IL, Effingham IL, Champaign IL, Bollingbrook IL) - Model 3 Performance.

Having used Superchargers for the last 5+ years on cross country trips, this new rate cut a good 25 - 30% off my charging stops/times from the previous charging limit (120 kW). Can't wait for V3.

IMG_0186.jpeg

My car spent close to 10 minutes at 150kw the other day after 180 miles of driving. I drove around locally for 2 days then plugged in again at the exact same charger. Only about 10 minutes to get there on a "pre-heating" battery, never got above 120. I think the system requires a very specific group of numbers to open the gate to 150kw. It is pretty much only obtainable by people travelling. I'm ok with that.

I made a round trip from New Orleans to Chicago 2 weeks ago and received 145 - 150 kW on every supercharger stop (Pearl MS, Grenada MS, Memphis TN, Miner MO, Mount Vernon IL, Effingham IL, Champaign IL, Bollingbrook IL) - Model 3 Performance.
View attachment 414721

Does onboard nav now select optimal supercharger stops to minimize trip time, or did you still need to manually choose more stops for less overall charge time? Over Christmas break nav wanted me to charge for an hour at Effingham to reach Chicago.

Does onboard nav now select optimal supercharger stops to minimize trip time, or did you still need to manually choose more stops for less overall charge time? Over Christmas break nav wanted me to charge for an hour at Effingham to reach Chicago.

I don't believe Tesla has yet updated the maximum "Miles per Hour" charge rate (maxes out at 500 mi/hr at ~ 120 kW even though charge rate continues to go up to 150 kW) nor the estimated times needed at each Supercharger (i.e., it would indicate I'm going to need 40 minutes at station X when in fact I would finish up in 25 minutes and have enough to make the next charger).

EDIT: Also, it still occasionally does what you describe - recommend very long charge times at one station to skip another. But, in my experience, it has been doing that since the beginning of time and I (almost) always ignore its recommendation and make the extra stop.

Mike

Last edited: