Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they're even upgrading non FSD cars to HW3.

citation.jpg

I had my retrofit today. (2018 Model S)

Dropped off at the service center at 9:45 am, work completed at 11:45 am

Picked it up, cameras calibrated after about 10 miles. None of my data was erased, however I needed to re-enable Navigate on Autopilot after camera calibration.

Awaiting 2020.12.6!

Final (?) report on my HW3 update: Mobile service appeared at my house at the end of the estimated time (12:30pm) and work was completed just after 2pm. FW 2020.12.5 was loaded, while the map software reverted back to 2019.6 (was 2020.12; it's updating as I type). Phone had to be re-paired, along with signing in to my WiFi password and logging in with my Netflix credentials. Otherwise, everything else seems to be in place (trip odometers, profiles, radio favorites, etc.). Forgot to ask the tech how common it is now for mobile service to update vehicles.

After the tech left I took the car out to get the cameras calibrated. It required about 5 miles driving on city streets and a freeway before the ring around the steering wheel icon turned completely blue. NoA felt the same, with no noticeable ping-ponging within the lane. Properly paced the cars ahead of me and adjusted to the following distance changes I made. Automatic lane changes worked fine with the exception of the first one I tried when it took a little bit longer than "normal" (I'm on Mad Max). Turned on the visualization preview and signal lights appeared on the screen, along with the virtual limit lines at intersections. All-in-all a nice and easy upgrade. Tech left the car unblemished and as far as I can tell, the screen was cleaned.

Note: While I was charging the car at a supercharger I returned all of the items in the glovebox and center console back to where they lived. I plugged in the flash drives for my music and dashcam/sentry. I then drove to go pick up an Rx. When I returned to the car, the sentry activation screen was displayed (i.e., the big red eye on a black background) and it did NOT go away when I got in and selected reverse. In fact I was able to move both forward and backward and the screen did not change (to the rearview camera or map display). Put the car in Park and then reversed again and all was normal. Another, possibly related item: the top left side of the screen only showed a big D while I was driving; no speed or P R N D; they were there earlier on my drive. All other icons looked fine. When I got home I re-booted and the display returned to normal. Haven't taken the car back out yet but I'll keep an eye out for any other bugs.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and Gt1948
For those that have upgraded. Did you actually receive a notification? What did it say? I've scheduled a few times now and have been cancelled.

They sent a text initially, and then the appointment showed up on the app after I responded and let them know my availability for an appointment.

In addition to some variation by service center, it seems like one factor is the date the car/FSD is purchased. We have two Model 3s -- they scheduled the earliest purchase (July 2018) first, then scheduled the second one (December 2018) a few weeks later (I ended up canceling and rescheduling the second one for this week).

Heads-up on a minor issue -- sometimes the service center forgets to update the
navigation maps beyond "factory settings". In my case, I went in with a Model 3 + 2020.12.5 +
NA-2020.12-11866. It came back from the shop registering the same, but this
masked a reversion. When it upgraded overnight to 2020.12.11.1 I naturally
wanted to try the stoplight/stop sign assist, but the setting was greyed out. Closer inspection
showed the map data at NA-2019.something which must have been the factory firmware level
for maps. The Tesla boosted to newer maps a few days later given sufficient WiFi time.

Heads-up on a minor issue -- sometimes the service center forgets to update the
navigation maps beyond "factory settings". In my case, I went in with a Model 3 + 2020.12.5 +
NA-2020.12-11866. It came back from the shop registering the same, but this
masked a reversion. When it upgraded overnight to 2020.12.11.1 I naturally
wanted to try the stoplight/stop sign assist, but the setting was greyed out. Closer inspection
showed the map data at NA-2019.something which must have been the factory firmware level
for maps. The Tesla boosted to newer maps a few days later given sufficient WiFi time.

Yeah, most HW3 upgrades I've read about (and including my own) reverted map version to 2019.6.
My guess is this version is what gets loaded on the HW3 boards at the factory.
Service centers are generally not keen on doing upgrades on the behalf of customers.

Last edited:
Early this week, I pushed a bit on the FSD upgrade process & made an appointment for tomorrow (Friday). On Tuesday, I got this text:

Hello, this is the Tesla service team. We are currently still developing the upgrade to Hardware 3.0 for your vehicle. We expect this to become available at the end of this month. Please check back with us at that time. Thank you.

I cancelled the appointment but did get somewhere on when Tesla will start providing HW3 to AP 2 vehicles. I really can't understand why this has taken Tesla so long to develop.

I had my car recently in service for issues that ive dealt with 4 times already....but besides that....

I asked about the “infotainment” upgrade.... for my 3/17 S90D AP2.0 EAP&FSD....

they were like “which car you have?”

the above state^^^^

“Okay, looks like your compatible, we’ll order the parts and schedule you for next week.”

“you are aware its $2700 with tax?”

yes....i also get upgraded to HW3 right?

“Yes, you will get the New MCU 2, NEW DRIVER CLUSTER DISPLAY, & AP3 retrofit at the same time”

the send me the service agreement request form....it says absolutely nothing about the hw3 retrofit or cluster display. & only mentions the MCU infotainment upgrade.

i really am tired of doing these service centers jobs and constantly asking for more clarification on crap.

Im willing to bet the pink slip on my car that they cant get ap3 to work with mcu1 and they are playing us all for fools and speeding up the process by getting us to subsidize the costs with the infotainment upgrade. 100%

Here is the bigger joke. My lease ends in less then 3 months.

Im doing this because i wanna see how they are gunna tell me im beat on the almost 6000$ extra i put into the car between fsd and the mcu upgrade.

I always planned on keeping the car but now that my car is a 90d and u can get a brand new long range for $12,000 more then my lease end buy out...its like almost a no brainer to let the car go and upgrade but the sales guy on the phone told me:

no matter if you buy a new tesla
- any fsd upgrade you paid for is not transferable even if they didnt delivered the ap3 swap
-overage miles still billed and not “swept under the rug” just because your buying a new car
-dings dents and damages are not being overlooked.
And any lease end fees’s yadda yadda.

At this rate i would have to pay them 10-15k just to get out because of the above + the loss from my investment into the car.

I will update and let you guys know how this all went.

I honestly don't mind keeping my car.

Especially knowing that Rich Rebuilds made a 75d into a p100d....

id definitely upgrade aftermarket when my battery dies out.

plus its only a matter of time before tesla offers battery upgrades once the cars are out of warranty. Why would u pay 15k for a 300 mile battery when their new cars have 500 mile range. Makes no sense.

I like the 90d badge. It represents a time when tesla mostly cared about their customers and i used to get free car washes & loaners from them without even blinking an eye.

Now im told Here are Uber credits: Now go catch the coronavirus in an uber.

I seriously have some crazy level of respect for the early adopters....god bless you guys for getting this company off the ground.