Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have White Interior with tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What possible reason could there be for not tinting the rear? Whether you tint for aesthetics, heat rejection or privacy having rear tint makes sense.

There was a thread about not tinting the rear.:

Tint door windows, but not rear window?

Obviously from a privacy perspective you're not going to get that with no tint, however the sides will still be protected.

From a looks perspective, seems that we actually like the look of the back untinted. For me it's because I can see the unique fading and curve/back glass easily. With darker tint on there it looks more like one solid color.

As for heat, in the thread there hasn't been any issues about the heat from the rear window. The consensus seems to be that the untintied part relative to the tinted part is smaller and definitely much smaller than the front windshield. The angle and positioning of the glass makes it also so that heat from the sun isn't as big of an issue.

Perhaps every little bit counts but maybe it's not a big of a deal as we might have thought. If anything else one could go with a really light nano-cermaic tint to keep the "untinted" look while still getting good heat rejection.

Of course YMMV and everyone will be different. FWIW I did see one complaint in another thread about the back not being tinted, but it was from someone other than the driver and that person could feel heat even from the sunroof part above the driver, which I know a good chunk of people skip, so I think that was more of an outlier?)

Reactions: SJC3
The tint shop pointed out to me that they always recommend going a little darker with white interior due to the amount of contrast.

That doesn’t change how dark the tint will get at night or affect mirror visibility at night. Even with the level of tint I have I find that the side mirrors are now quite dark and I have to recheck them more often when changing lanes. View attachment 358457View attachment 358458

These pics aren’t great but this is just after dawn full in Colorado so full direct sun.

@whatthe2

That's 30% and 20%? jeez.

I also agree about going darker than you think, I'll try to get a daytime pic but even 15% is not that dark during the day. On my previous car with a black interior you couldn't see in at 15%, on my 3 you can see right in, the white interior really affects it. I do agree as well that my side mirrors at night are darker than I would like, I wish we could disable the auto-dimming feature.

That's 30% and 20%? jeez.

Even 10% will allow you to see in if you have blast furnace levels of direct sun coming in during the early morning or late afternoon.

Ultimately people need to decide why they are getting the tint and what trade offs they are willing to make. Even with 20/30 like I have the light level driving at night is reduced quite a bit.

I got the car tinted because with the white interior and blue exterior there was too much contrast and the inside of the car looked like a fish bowl.

I also wanted to reduce heat in the summertime.

I did not want to get tint so dark that the car looked like a matchbox toy and had terribly reduced nighttime visibility.

“Privacy” in the sense you don’t want anyone seeing into the car requires 5% window tint and in many states is illegal.

Colorado has 27% tint level as the max.

[qoute]What possible reason could there be for not tinting the rear? Whether you tint for aesthetics, heat rejection or privacy having rear tint makes sense.[/quote]

It may make sense to you but not me and some others. We like the rear fade OEM look. For me I don’t care about the heat rejection. I just care about the side being dark enough so people can’t see me. So I went with 20% for the sides. Rear is so small or the clear area is so small it hard to see anyways. Or they only see the back of my head.

Mine is Suntek CIR. 20% sides, 30% back. I can’t tell the difference between it and the Llumar CTX I had on my past few cars. I’ve heard that Suntek is “b-tier” tint, but I also think people can sometimes be overly picky around here.

The price I'm getting for Suntek CIR is $220 vs Llumar CIR $499, not sure if Llumar is actually better, anyone informed on this?

15% here, nothing in the front. 30% with white seats looks like almost nothing.
PccUwmm.jpg

1vt9SoD.jpg

What all mods do you have on that bottom pic?

What all mods do you have on that bottom pic?

Standard chrome delete
Tints on all windows except front/top
Orange calipers (only had the front done in this pic, now the backs match too)
On the calipers I have TESLA logos too
Tesla tire caps plasti-dipped in black

I have a ton of pics of how I painted the calipers myself, could probably make a separate post here if anyone is interested.

Cheers!