Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone jump ship from a Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I made the decision to make the switch to the Model S. I had reserved a black Model X 75d, 6 seater, in October, 2015 and confirmed in January. About 2 months ago, I visited Tesla dealership for a Model X Q&A session and saw a red Model S. I loved it! After reading several threads about the gull wing doors and being concerned about the battery capacity, and really liking the body of the Model S, I decided to make the switch to Model S 90d. Yes, I have 3 boys but they fit great in the backseat. But usually it is just the 4 of us in my car and if it's the 5 of us then we take my husband's SUV.

So for a little more money, I had them switch my order to the red Model S and am so excited! Expecting a June delivery. :)

There are a bunch of us but I think most of them have been posting in the Model X forums. I reserved my Model X on 4/30/2015.

I was really looking forward to the Model X but the lack of folding second row seats was the biggest negative for me. I ended up doing a test ride in the S on the same day that I drove the X in March. Knowing the S refresh was coming, I waited a few weeks and placed my order on 4/9/2016.

BTW, I also reserved the 3 on 3/31/2016. ;)

I cancelled. Made my final decision after seeing the car live. No hard feeling - not everything is for everyone. Having gotten som perspective I realized it's really tailored to the Chinese market. I know a lot of people may find this statement strange but I think in retrospect it will become clearer.

I really like the Model X, but just can't get over the rear of the car, especially the rear 3/4 view (which looks so much better on the S). As the battery capacity increases and they iron our the early wrinkles, I could be swayed!

X was reserved 2/15, I bailed 11/15 and driving a new Model S since 12/15. No regrets.

Lack of folding seats, the dual charger controversy, production delays, and first year model FUD influenced my decision. I, too, will strongly consider trading to the next generation of Model X.

I had an X reserved in 2013. My primary need was AWD, being in snow country. I really didn't need the space, being an empty nester. I also didn't like the doors. I cancelled it a day after the D event and ordered my S.

I wanted first and foremost Autopilot, and as we have 4 kids, paying a bit more for an X was tempting for a time. Ordered one on April 11, then read more reviews and followed most of the X forum posts (with many happy people as well as some having serious issues). Then could not really agree with my wife on the color (I wanted white seats). What should have been a sure, exciting choice wasn't so sure nor exciting anymore so I opted for another S, considering that I'd be using the car for my commute. An X remains an attractive possibility to replace our family Van but 3 things will need to happen: been able to see and drive one, give some time and few dozen of thousands of VIN to fix most of the reliability issues, and get enough money to pay for it after the S...

I had always planned on trading my model S for a model X someday. That was until I saw that the 2nd row seats do NOT fold flat and that was the day I gave up on that idea.

Right now I plan to just drive and love the car that I have until I get near the end of the drivetrain warranty and then shop for a new model S with dual motors.

I am completely on the fence between S and X and would appreciate insights from people who drove / own both. I felt S handled much better on the twisty road... but my test drive with X was relatively short... I didn't take either one it to Nürburgring :(

In X I like:
  • Improved quality of interior materials, door pockets and the seats
  • Roominess of the cabin, particularly in a six-seater
  • Higher seating position
  • Improved insulation / reduced road noise
In S I like:
  • IMHO it looks much better
  • Hugs the corners, feels lighter a lot more agile
  • Has a moonroof
  • Traditional rear doors and windshield

I really like the roominess of the X, liked the windshield (did not like how low the tint came down), I did not think the rears seats in the X where very comfortable, drivers seats where amazing. I did not like the reflection of the cabin in the windshield either and did not like the way it drove. I felt like a soccer mom but I want to feel like Chris Hemsworth or Zac Efron. I think in a year or so when there are some on used in the $80 range I might buy one but not now.

I am currently trying to find a good deal on a S90 with L, otherwise I am going to get a new body style s90.

Cancelling our MX order has been the smartest vehicle decision we have made. In its place, we bought a Volvo XC90 T8 and a Model S 85D. We would have been miserable with a Model X.

I was also very much interested in the Volvo XC90 T8 then got scared off by all the initial quality complaints on a forum I came across. Also, although the vast majority of my driving is within the 17 mile capacity of the battery, I didn't really want to be stopping at gas stations on road trips. How has the initial quality of your Volvo been?

Confirmed my S today and cancelled X... the handling and the looks of facelifted S were just irresistible.
Totally understood. If the Model S satisfied me I would have taken it over the X in a heartbeat. It wasn't just because of the new features. I really tried to get the Model S, but it just did not cut if for me mostly in terms of comfort, ingress/egress and the visibility.

I have no idea how the X is selling as well as it is if it's selling as well as they say it is. It's ugly. I get that looks are subjective but I think it's objectively pretty ugly. It looks like someone looked at the Model S and was like "Yeah, this but let's just take the stretch tool in photoshop and pull it up a few inches".

It's not that I think they're bad either. I like them for the absurdity of the tech and Elon's unwillingness to compromise when he sets his mind to something but none of that is enough to get me to throw the coin down on one. I see them at superchargers and marvel at how cool they are but have absolutely no urge to purchase one, even if the price was cheaper.

Fun fact regarding utility, we had an Infiniti FX35. Granted the FX35 wasn't the pinnacle of SUVs when it came to utility but for cargo trips we took the S. The rear room with the hatch and the larger frunk of the rear wheel drive cars leaves you with a car with an absurd amount of storage space.

I have both an X and early S. Of the many problems with the X, I recently realized I needed to add another: range at speed. If you drive 75+ mph, the bigger frontal area of the X really sucks range. The X just doesn't make sense unless it has AT LEAST a 100 kWh battery.

Things I do like about the X are the AP (which you can get on an S), and road handling is actually really good for an SUV but S is no doubt better. It tows well as well, but towing can cut range in half.

Things I don't like: windshield lets in too much light and heat. Motorized front doors are annoying. Falcon wing doors often don't work right. Even when working as designed, they aren't kid friendly. Second row seats are a disaster. Don't fold flat. Access to third row moves not only second row seats but also driver seat forward. Dome light is really hard to turn on/off. Sun visor is hard to move, can jiggle the car getting it into position. Third row seat back design doesn't work. They will fall apart after heavy usage. Second row cup holder is useless if you have three people in second row (not enough leg room).

Oh you guys make me want to cancel it as well. I've already considering about cancelling it since many reviews stated that falcon wing doors took 6 seconds to open and nearly 7 seconds to fully closed. Now learning about unfoldable second row seats and the driving range is a bad bad news. Thanks a lot. Without you guys I probably make the biggest mistake ever :)

We has an X on order for a long time - it was ready to press go button, but we decided to move the 5k deposit over to an S.
I love the X, but with the age of our kids the rear facing seats will cover us for a couple of years.
The X is really nice, but for us to do long trips we would have needed a bit more trunk space. Take long trips off the table and the S started to fit us better.

That said, we have a 3 reservation as well, and may well get a CPO X it he future.

Reactions: LAN1017 and ABCCBA