Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone NOT have a Sun/Glass roof? And...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased the solid roof earlier this year when it was still an option for new builds. Some of these points were already posted here regarding the benefits of the body-colored roof:
  • Improved sound insulation vs. glass
  • Sun protection (biggest benefit)
    • Solid shades to completely block the openings are not available as far as I know. There are only mesh screens which are not included.
    • My forehead was sunburned after a 4-hr ride in a loaner with a sunroof.
    • The interior is noticeably more comfortable on hot days. Loaners with glass confirm this every time.
  • There is still plenty of headroom for us - I'm 5'11". Remember, the seat also adjusts up and down. I keep my seat raised and I still have headroom.
  • A bit safer in the event of an accident. Although, rollovers are rare in heavy vehicles like these.
The glass options look a little cooler in my opinion, however from a practicality standpoint, a solid roof makes more sense. I believe glass is also less expensive than aluminium, so perhaps that is another reason Tesla did away with solid roofs.

I do miss the ability to pull outside air through the A/C vents using a tilted sunroof. But since Tesla's sunroofs don't tilt, there was little benefit to buy glass.

When cars can fly, and I need to look up, I will then consider a glass roof.

Found this conversation quite late and was wondering if there is any way to search for pre owned models with a solid roof. I have zero interest in any model other than the model as and as someone who also lives in Palm Springs- I’m looking for a solid roof. Any ideas ?