Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not like the Tesla 22" wheels after getting them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting that they don't have that wording in there anymore. Not even down below in the "disclaimer" section.

That is strange considering their enhanced AP2 still shows expected December 2016 update. I wonder if the hit on range is less than they anticipated?

I think the likely explanation is that the 10-15% range hit significantly decreased sales of the 22" wheels at $4,500 at set :cool:
The solution was to eliminate the disclaimer ...
model-x-range-png.208223

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-3_22-43-54.png
    upload_2017-1-3_22-43-54.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 65
I think the likely explanation is that the 10-15% range hit significantly decreased sales of the 22" wheels at $4,500 at set :cool:
model-x-range-png.208223
If that's the case then that's just wrong! You don't remove a disclaimer to boost sales! I for one got every option but the wheels bc of range hit. I went with some light weight 22" wheels that should be equivalent to the 20" range. If tesla knew it would take a hit in range and obviously sales why would they not produce a lightweight option. Even for a higher price as many like me would have paid.

10-15% penalty may not be due to the weight of 22s
It could be the wider and gripper tires with more rolling resistance
I can't imagine going from 265 width to 285 making much of a rolling resistance difference. There isn't I very aggressive tire available in 285/35 22" available. Pirelli zero is probably the most aggressive and it's a long way from good dry performance. I had the pirelli p zeros on my McLaren but had to go with trofeo R's bc of lack of grip. I could see a sub 5% drop but not 10-15% from increased grip and width of 22" and suspect weight being just as much or more of factor.

I'm working on getting an accurate difference from my stock 20" with continental vs my new Tsportline 22" with continental tires. The TSportlines are 11% lighter than my 20" so it should be interesting to see difference. Will be able to report back in couple weeks.

Yes, wider = more rolling resistance (and drag)
However, that not the only reason for increase
Identical tire size may have a huge difference in rolling resistance, due to variances in thread and compound used
Some tires are just much more efficient than the others
So, normally, high performance rubber is less efficient

10-15% penalty may not be due to the weight of 22s
It could be the wider and gripper tires with more rolling resistance

Yes, wider = more rolling resistance (and drag)
However, that not the only reason for increase
Identical tire size may have a huge difference in rolling resistance, due to variances in thread and compound used
Some tires are just much more efficient than the others
So, normally, high performance rubber is less efficient
While you're likely correct with regards to tire width and compound to some extent, it's still the weight that has the most effect. Many of the early P models got summer tires on their 20" wheels and aren't seeing much of a difference in energy use while those of us with 22's and AS tires are still seeing a good 10%+ hit to range. Which leads me to believe it's the weight of the wheel/tire combo that is most detrimental. This is also being demonstrated by folks getting much lighter 22's (from the stock 20's) and actually getting better energy use and range.

And you maybe correct as well
I'm not sure if we can easily quantify the impact of wheel weight, based on limited data, but here is my own analysis from Model S:
Winter tire 19s stock 245s -> Winter tire 19s aftermarket lighter 245s = same whm
Summer tire 20 aftermarket heavy 275s -> Summer tire 20 aftermarket light 275s = same whm
Winter tire 19s stock 245s -> Summer tire 20 aftermarket lighter 275s = 10% penalty

All of this with identical rubber moved from one set of rim to another

P.S. Note, weight difference is nothing crazy like CF rims, just a few LBs

Don't forget the 22's susceptibility to damage from potholes- both to the tire and rim. Living in NY / NJ I would never run the 22's after having horrible experience with low profile tires on my previous BMW.

The 22" still have a 35 side wall. It would take a good size pothole at high speed to damage a wheel with that size sidewall. I have a vehicle with 25 and 30 sidewalls and have never damaged a wheel but I also don't live in Northeast and I'm very careful as they are on both my exotic vehicles.

Yup! And you avoid the 10-15% range hit. Best of both worlds. Boggles my mind why Tesla doesn't sell a 20" Black Rim.

The 22" wheels and tires I just got are 9#'s lighter in front and 5.5#'S in rear compared to the 20" stock tesla wheels. The wheels were the same price tesla wanted for the 22" upgrade but still needed to buy tire so 1.2k more but in my option a much better option.

model-x-range-png.208223
Were they $5500 before? That is what I seem to recall at one point.

edit - weird, they come up as $5500 now. I guess they used to be $4500 at one point.

Last edited: