Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received delivery of 2019 'Raven' Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I debated doing that, and if the shipping on my 14-50 adapter that they no longer include is delayed any longer I may come to seriously regret not doing it.

The reason I chose not to is that the second generation UMC adds actual temperature monitoring to the plug ends, and the different plug design means it doesn't hang out so far and torque the plug connection.

UMC1 was also fully potted, whereas UMC2 seems to be an open design complete with vent holes. I wouldn't expect it to have any water resistance. I'd worry more about UMC2 having problems in real life, than the occasional person with a bad or worn socket. I spot check the temp on the plugs whenever I use them anyway.

Reactions: 19x100D
UMC1 was also fully potted, whereas UMC2 seems to be an open design complete with vent holes. I wouldn't expect it to have any water resistance. I'd worry more about UMC2 having problems in real life, than the occasional person with a bad or worn socket. I spot check the temp on the plugs whenever I use them anyway.

Uhh, it's definitely water-resistant. The manual only mentions severe rain and submerged plugs as issues and the UMC v1 manual mentions the same. I've used the 2nd-gen UMC in a pretty heavy rain on my Model 3, with the 14-50 plug covered. No issues.

I just snipped and annotated this from the Tesla site. You can see the charge rates for the three charging methods. Yours will actually be about 10% higher than what's listed here because the new Raven motors are more efficient, so your speeds for the three ratings will be about 33, 27, and 22mph for 48, 40, and 32 amps respectively.
View attachment 420525
Thanks for all your help.

Anyone try to get their service center to schedule a 72A upgrade? Curious as to what they'll say.

I am not sure what you mean about getting the service center to schedule a 72A upgrade. If you mean as to install a wall charger on a 90 amp breaker, which would provide 72A of charge, you would have to talk to an electrician. Only thing the service center may do is find one in your area to come to your house. I just use Angies List or HomeAdvisor to find electricians in my area and get some quotes. The size of the breaker will depend on the size of your breaker panel, house main wiring, and how much you are willing to spend.

I am not sure what you mean about getting the service center to schedule a 72A upgrade. If you mean as to install a wall charger on a 90 amp breaker, which would provide 72A of charge, you would have to talk to an electrician. Only thing the service center may do is find one in your area to come to your house. I just use Angies List or HomeAdvisor to find electricians in my area and get some quotes. The size of the breaker will depend on the size of your breaker panel, house main wiring, and how much you are willing to spend.

You need the on-board charger to have 72A capability. Ravens are not shipping with this, if it is, it's software disabled.Tesla has offered in the past to soft-enable and/or switch out the onboard hardware for a fee. I've seen $1700-$2500 quoted. The question is, will they allow you to do this for your raven. Certainly this was advertised for 2016-2019 cars pre-raven.

You need the on-board charger to have 72A capability. Ravens are not shipping with this, if it is, it's software disabled.Tesla has offered in the past to soft-enable and/or switch out the onboard hardware for a fee. I've seen $1700-$2500 quoted. The question is, will they allow you to do this for your raven. Certainly this was advertised for 2016-2019 cars pre-raven.
I have had my Service Center guy on this more than month before our Raven delivery. He told me last week that there was no longer a 72Amp charger upgrade path. So sad.....That would be the ONLY thing I miss about my S100D....but I do miss it already. My S85D had 80Amp home charging and that being almost twice as fast as our Raven was so convenient for quick charges at home.

Reactions: VikH
I agree. I miss my old 72A charging on my S90D.

For the most part though, the new 48A is sufficient for day to day since I rarely get home with less than 20%.

I don't see the need for > 48A 99.9% of the time. Maybe if you're a rural realtor driving 400 miles/day with clients and need to do a major top-up over lunch? Not trying to be disparaging, but what is the actual need for > 48A? 48 is enough to charge any Tesla in < 10 hours (overnight) at home. In my 3+ years of electric driving I've yet to see a single L2 charger in the wild capable of more than 48A charge power, so no use there. Where did you guys use 72A, and to what benefit? I understand that there's theoretically a scenario where you roll in somewhere with a low charge and have to charge up and get back on the road, but even at 72A that's a PITA--more than 4 hours for 3/4 of a charge vs a bit over 6 at 48A. Both scenarios suck if that's the need.

I take back the comment about never having seen an L2 that can do > 48A. Some Tesla Destination Chargers can, but they're generally paired or in quad setups, and if even one other vehicle is charging, you're limited to 40A even in those scenarios.

I'm legitimately curious, as 48A seems like the clear call for Tesla to have made.

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks
AS per Tesla website, I dont see any adv of having more than 48A unless two connectors are sharing same breaker or Tesla website is not updated.
upload_2019-6-18_13-39-25.png

I have had my Service Center guy on this more than month before our Raven delivery. He told me last week that there was no longer a 72Amp charger upgrade path. So sad.....That would be the ONLY thing I miss about my S100D....but I do miss it already. My S85D had 80Amp home charging and that being almost twice as fast as our Raven was so convenient for quick charges at home.
Please express your displeasure at Tesla. I know I will.

I don't believe there is a technical limitation. Going to investigate in my own car shortly if swapping chargers is viable.