Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use adaptive cruise in stop & go traffic so I don't have move my foot back an forth from gas to brake. I set it to 10 mph in creeping traffic & adjust spacing to 2 car lengths. With all the road construction I use it often.
I don't use the brake. Had it over a year and I'd bet I've put my foot on the brake less than 20 times. All those for lights changing when I'm close, that sort of thing. Came home during rush today. Didn't use the brake. With a little practice you can creep along at 1mph in traffic. With a little more practice, you can creep along at 0 mph.

But letting it do the creep and stop is an interesting idea. I might try it for the creep and stop but not for the stop then 20/30, then quick stop, then 20/30 etc. Too nerve wracking.

This has been a pretty long-running thread and I have to say it was a useful one for me. Back in May we changed our MYP order to an MYLR with the intention of getting boost after we took delivery of the LR. I have to say now I have buyer's remorse. I am remorseful that I didn't add the boost to it on the way home from picking the car up.

I wanted to do some baseline performance runs to see how much of it difference it made on mine. Well it knocked off about .5-.6 seconds off the 0-60 time as promised. About .5 seconds off the 1/4 mile time. Most importantly for me, even at a low SoC, the boosted car is quicker than my non-boosted car at 100% charge. In retrospect that is the most useful benefit for me; it is always pretty quick regardless of charge. Stock, once it got down below about 65% or so, it just started feeling a little sluggish. While it is slower at a low SoC compared to higher, it is still pretty quick.

All in all it is a great upgrade. I am really pleased how much it picked up the acceleration from about 25 mph on it. From that point on, it pulls like the MYP does. The MYP will still be quicker to 60 which may really matter to a lot of people. For a daily driver, the boost is a great option and a lot easier on the tires. The MYP has that extra punch over the MYLRAB up to about 25 mph and dumping all that power into the tires definitely accelerates the wear. I have about 6k on my tires and they are still looking pretty good and I regularly take advantage of the accelerative capabilities and have done about 2k miles of towing.

I’m almost ready to buy this. The speed of the car at 70% or so is quick but under long acceleration (on ramp, uphill) it can feel underwhelming when less than 80% SOC. I wanted to get used to the acceleration first and then get the bonus boost.

I love that, even without boost, you can get the rear end to kick out about 12” before traction control and front motor kicks in to stabilize it under full throttle around an on ramp entrance. I do enjoy the RWD bias of the car. I’d be curious how it handles the boost in a similar situation (if traction control is more or less conservative).

My wife bought AB the same day she got her MY. No regrets at all. Totally worth it. The MYP vs MY LR + AB debate was easy for us to decide on. I've done the switching summer/winter tire thing before, and it gets old. We also live on a horse farm and go to a lot of off-road type horse events, so the extra ground clearance is nice.

I am still waiting for my MYLR but this thread has been great (and has added another $2K to my bill). I do wish I could add it prior to financing, but I have a CC with some good rewards so that will be my financing. I have told myself that if I get the car in November (EDD says that is a possibility, but EDDs lie), then the AB will be my Christmas present to myself. Really cannot wait.

I hope Christmas comes early for you! The more miles I put on our Y, the less I hammer it off the but the more I appreciate its acceleration when already rolling. Even at 80-90 mph, there is a lot of punch if you need to shoot the gap so to speak.

That is the part I never tire of; no need to ever downshift. You are always in the right gear so to speak. I have hard cars that are quicker but almost none of them could match the instant acceleration at speed when you are just cruising. That is probably the most satisfying aspect of driving a Tesla for me.

At the same time, it is a bit boring. There is no skill required to launch. Just punch it and go. Really nothing you can do to make it quicker for the most part. Boost is like bolting on an unlimited nitrous bottle to your ICE motor. No real place to go from here if you want more. The MYP just gives you that extra immediate hit of the AB which I'd never use 99% of the time.

It does make one heckuva daily drive though. Been pretty flawless for me so far.

I’m one of those people who said nah I’d spend the $2k on something else. I’ve been reading this thread and watching some YouTube videos for a while now. Recently I got a little bonus from my work. 2 days ago I told myself screw it and just got the AB.

I rarely launch the car but did it a couple times after I got the AB. Yes the initial launch does feel faster but it’s not like omg wow that’s fast fast. I think it’s more noticeable at freeway speed. Like cruising at 65mph and then step on it. I could feel quite a difference. I still have 12 hours think about keeping it but I think I will.

It is good you at least can try before you buy. Test drive it a lot and see if it is right for you.

They can't make it to fast off the line or it would cannibalize sales from the MYP. So they basically played it safe and split the difference between the LR and the MYP in the 0 to 60 sprint. That is what everybody's measuring usually. As I repeatedly said though, from 30 on up, it is heads up with the MYP.

That is why I kept it, and even at a low state of charge, it is faster than it ever was even at 100% SoC.