Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is good you at least can try before you buy. Test drive it a lot and see if it is right for you.

They can't make it to fast off the line or it would cannibalize sales from the MYP. So they basically played it safe and split the difference between the LR and the MYP in the 0 to 60 sprint. That is what everybody's measuring usually. As I repeatedly said though, from 30 on up, it is heads up with the MYP.

That is why I kept it, and even at a low state of charge, it is faster than it ever was even at 100% SoC.
The low SoC performance is very nice. I'm still below 4.8 seconds at 20%.

Reactions: Madsen203
Hi all,

Those who have AB, does it engage the front motor sooner or is it the same?

For instance, I can get the rear end to step out around a corner if I get on it during the apex. With AB, does it engage the front motor sooner so this is reduced?

Anyone else who noticed this changing at all?

I don't notice any huge difference with respect to when it engages. What I notice most though is when you get hard on the "gas" exiting the turn with some steering lock dialed in, you can really hear the front tires clawing the pavement to pull the car before that I never noticed before. No extra understeer but really exits the turns much harder.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I don't notice any huge difference with respect to when it engages. What I notice most though is when you get hard on the "gas" exiting the turn with some steering lock dialed in, you can really hear the front tires clawing the pavement to pull the car before that I never noticed before. No extra understeer but really exits the turns much harder.
Thanks for this. I really like how the rear ended steps out around corners when I dig in. I do notice that in the rain, it engages the front much sooner. I guess I’ll have to do some tests.

I purchased AB for my MYLR, tried it out for 48 hours, then returned it to get a feel for the car without it. I drove for one day without AB then purchased it the next day. It just makes the MYLR so much more fun to drive. Even if it’s not used a lot, just knowing it is there and available on demand makes it completely worth it.
As the song goes "You don't know what you've got 'til its gone...

Some people might have a different opinion but 3.8 for the MYP or 4.2 for the boosted MYLR isn't mind-blowingly quick acceleration. For a daily driver, to get that level of performance that would make me giddy whenever I hammered it from a light in a car I'd want the Model S Plaid. Once I am in the 2's or better (0-60) or 10 second 1/4 miles, it keeps me interested.

I started tracking the last month or so how many times I actually go full throttle from a stop. It was shamefully few (less than 5). From a roll, I lost track of the number of times I got on it hard, but actually times I had the pedal to the floor while rolling was not a lot more than from a light.

From a roll, there were a few times I floored it just for fun and only a few were merging required a big boost of speed. So in retrospect, I clearly didn't need the MYP, and maybe even the boost is a bit of overkill for a lot of my driving. Though there were quite a few times that while I wasn't full throttle accelerating, I was still probably accelerating quicker than the stock LR could go.

There is one thing I've been exploring a lot more is sort of driving it like a rally car a bit. You can go, brake a bit, get the car to start to rotate while the rear is unloaded and get hard on the throttle as the turn opens up and listen to the tires really clawing their way out of the turn. It feels a bit like a highly modified WRX wagon I had but just eerily quiet other than the tires.

I purchased AB for my MYLR, tried it out for 48 hours, then returned it to get a feel for the car without it. I drove for one day without AB then purchased it the next day. It just makes the MYLR so much more fun to drive. Even if it’s not used a lot, just knowing it is there and available on demand makes it completely worth it.
Thanks for convincing me to never try it lol

Any idea if it degrades the battery faster over time by having it enabled? (Regardless of turtle vs spirited driving)
The chemistry of batteries basically says: Yes.

Rapid discharge is bad, enabling it at least provides the opportunity to be more aggressive about it. If you buy it and never use it..no.

The logic behind this is that it's sort of like Toyota allowing Factory superchargers to be installed at the dealer, that are part of the drivetrain warranty still. The higher cost offsets the potential financial liability that the Manufacturer takes on. (Like accelerated battery degradation in the warranty period)

The $2K was probably just generated from an actuary table for higher wear-and-tear (and therefore liability to fix things under warranty).

In all likelihood, cars with Acceleration Boost won't be BAD cars in 8-years, but might be akin to seeing an old muscle car with traction-bars: You know some bad %&*# happened to it...lol

• Disagree
Reactions: Jjrss and GOVA
The chemistry of batteries basically says: Yes.

Rapid discharge is bad, enabling it at least provides the opportunity to be more aggressive about it. If you buy it and never use it..no.

The logic behind this is that it's sort of like Toyota allowing Factory superchargers to be installed at the dealer, that are part of the drivetrain warranty still. The higher cost offsets the potential financial liability that the Manufacturer takes on. (Like accelerated battery degradation in the warranty period)

The $2K was probably just generated from an actuary table for higher wear-and-tear (and therefore liability to fix things under warranty).

In all likelihood, cars with Acceleration Boost won't be BAD cars in 8-years, but might be akin to seeing an old muscle car with traction-bars: You know some bad %&*# happened to it...lol
If AB results in a significant change in battery wear, what does that say about the MYP?

My car can take 250kW for several minutes from a super charger. The highest draw I've seen with AB is 352 kW, and that's for only a few seconds. The car's power is limited by the max motor torque until around 50 MPH, so the max power output is only seen at speeds higher than that. Personally, I don't accelerate at full power more than a few seconds above 50. Maybe the battery chemistry has an issue with this, but I suspect it's not a problem.
Screenshot_20210401-095449.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
If AB results in a significant change in battery wear, what does that say about the MYP?
There are more than just software differences between P and non-P cars.
The drive control units, suspension, programming for a couple systems and honestly...who knows what else in minor revisions...are unique.

But based on the assumption that the batteries would be identical, but the driving habits of a P would be more aggressive - probably won't have the same pack-longevity. That could also be one of, or maybe the factor that creates the $5,000 price increase. Shorter springs and 21" wheels isn't all of it. There's likely a calculation of battery-pack/drive-motor warranty and wear. (and therefore potential liability under warranty)

I think it all comes down to your right foot. Charging/Discharging batteries at high rates isnt good for them. The more you floor it, the more you supercharge, the more your battery has a chance of degrading. I'm not saying its huge, nor am I saying you shouldnt floor it or use a SC... whats the point of having the car? As far as range goes, as long as I can make it to the next SC, I'm good. I dont think 10mi ever made a difference for me. But everyone is different.

I dont think having AB (or a MYP) alone causes more degradation... it just allows you to tap into more of the battery. You can have an MYP or MYLR+AB and baby it... but then why did you buy that?

Reactions: StkTNk
As the song goes "You don't know what you've got 'til its gone...

Some people might have a different opinion but 3.8 for the MYP or 4.2 for the boosted MYLR isn't mind-blowingly quick acceleration. For a daily driver, to get that level of performance that would make me giddy whenever I hammered it from a light in a car I'd want the Model S Plaid. Once I am in the 2's or better (0-60) or 10 second 1/4 miles, it keeps me interested.

I started tracking the last month or so how many times I actually go full throttle from a stop. It was shamefully few (less than 5). From a roll, I lost track of the number of times I got on it hard, but actually times I had the pedal to the floor while rolling was not a lot more than from a light.

From a roll, there were a few times I floored it just for fun and only a few were merging required a big boost of speed. So in retrospect, I clearly didn't need the MYP, and maybe even the boost is a bit of overkill for a lot of my driving. Though there were quite a few times that while I wasn't full throttle accelerating, I was still probably accelerating quicker than the stock LR could go.

There is one thing I've been exploring a lot more is sort of driving it like a rally car a bit. You can go, brake a bit, get the car to start to rotate while the rear is unloaded and get hard on the throttle as the turn opens up and listen to the tires really clawing their way out of the turn. It feels a bit like a highly modified WRX wagon I had but just eerily quiet other than the tires.
As someone who grew up in an era where sub 7 second 0-60 and sub 15 second quarter mile was considered quick for a daily driver, I had to chuckle at your comment that you basically need sub 3 second 0-60 to keep things interesting...

I

I think that is right about the 0-60 / 1/4 mi for my '93 300zx. non-turbo
Yea...it's crazy.
My '88 Mustang GT, with intake, headers, exhaust, heads, etc was the "fastest car in my H.S." (late 200's), and was the subject of scrutiny and arguments with my parents over it being "way too damn fast".... And was 5sec 0-60 / 13sec 1/4-Mile..😂😂🤣😂

Years later, my family-hauler MY will make it seem like a moped.

Yea...it's crazy.
My '88 Mustang GT, with intake, headers, exhaust, heads, etc was the "fastest car in my H.S." (late 200's), and was the subject of scrutiny and arguments with my parents over it being "way too damn fast".... And was 5sec 0-60 / 13sec 1/4-Mile..😂😂🤣😂

Years later, my family-hauler MY will make it seem like a moped.
Its really crazy. Similar experience. I had the fastest 4dr available in 2006, a CTS-V. Ungodly fast and REALLY mean sounding. Used to take it to the track and the corvette guys were not only amazed it was a stick, but that it could hold its own in the corners as well.

Fast forward to today, and my 7-seat MYLR "SUV" is quicker stock (with AB, it absolutely destroys it). Also doesnt get 10mpg around town. Though it doesnt sound as cool or require much skill to drive fast.... different stage of life, different needs, no regrets.

Honestly, if I go back to race tracks, I'd just get a miata. No need to even try and match the quickness of these cars, I'll go for purity... RWD, manual, 50/50, 2-dr convertible, no abs, no tcs, no stability control... just a test of skill.

LOL....my Carrera GTS (997.2) is supposed to be quick, but the MYLR just feels quicker. It's the instantaneous torque. And I don't have to rev it to 8000 RPM and do a hard launch to get equally good acceleration. In any case, the MY is a quick crossover. It's not a sports car and make no mistake, the 911 would leave the MY in the dust on a twisty road. On a track, there's simply no comparison. I'm tempted to try the AB though lol

LOL....my Carrera GTS (997.2) is supposed to be quick, but the MYLR just feels quicker. It's the instantaneous torque. And I don't have to rev it to 8000 RPM and do a hard launch to get equally good acceleration. In any case, the MY is a quick crossover. It's not a sports car and make no mistake, the 911 would leave the MY in the dust on a twisty road. On a track, there's simply no comparison. I'm tempted to try the AB though lol
.... DO IT!!! you won't regret. It won't turn your Tesla into a Porsche, but it'll make that smile on your face bigger than without it.

You can always get a refund if you don't like it after a day or 2.

Reactions: TheLex and jpfive
Only had my MYLR a week, but one of my favorite things to do is pull onto the two lane merging freeway on-ramp with another car and go real slow at first to let them think they got the drop on me, then I floor it and watch them disappear into the rear view. It’s especially fun after a Costco trip with a trunk full of toilet paper.

• Funny
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I'm just driving and some people think I'm racing. ;) I had a Charger that wanted a go yesterday. I dropped everyone at the lights (boosted 0-60, then coast) as usual and the Charger rolled up beside me and gunned it. I didn't look over to encourage anything.

One thing I really appreciate about my Tesla is that I can give it 100% and I never get anxious about moneyshifting, premature wear, maintenance, ...etc...