Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt like I would regret not selecting the MYP so I changed my order a couple days ago. I've been to the local Tesla center more times than I will admit studying the car inside and out and going over every detail. My SA probably thinks I'm a nut. For me it's not all the power. Sure it's nice but the Performance looks much more aggressive and has road presence. The Überturbines, larger red Tesla brake calipers, rear carbon fiber spoiler and slightly lowered chassis does a lot for the look and feel.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll bump my old thread.

I've been stressing out over getting another tesla (Y vs performance 3 vs performance Y) vs getting a performance oriented sedan. I have a non performance Y on order, which should be here in ~10 days, but as the delivery starts to 'get real', I've wondered if I'm making the right choice.

The proof for me is always getting out of your headspace and just driving the vehicle. So yesterday I drove the non-performance again, this time just by myself. I remember the Y's steering feeling light (compared to the 3) and people suggesting to set it to sport. This ended up making the Y feel 'tighter' to me which great. Next impression was that the suspension was hard, but this was no doubt due to the tires being at 45psi (felt like when I took delivery of my first model 3 in november of 2018 and tires were at 45psi). Onto handling - my first two drives of a Y felt like the car swayed alot. Somehow I didn't notice this as much during this drive and I was honestly quite surprised and pleased how well it gripped when pushed. Next is the power - I laughed the other day watching a video how even the non-performance is almost too fast for your average person. That said, I really can see how that resonates, in real world acceleration, gunning it from 25 or 30mph, evne the non-performance is QUICK. I'll probably still do the acceleration boost, but again the non-performance still performs VERY well. Don't get me wrong, I love the performance Y, and I may enjoy the aesthetic more than the actual performance (brakes, slightly lower stance, and lip spoiler just really set it off to me). IF I could switch my order without resetting my place in line, I'd probably get a performance, but I think I'd lose my mind waiting for delivery until deep into December.

Finally - not related to performance but more of my Y vs 3 or other sedan dilemma. This test drive cemented to me that I've had alot of smaller vehicles and I can't deny I really love the versatility of the Y. I don't need the space, I'm not a soccer mom, or even a typical crossover buyer.... watching videos of the people buying a Y made me second guess myself. Meaning, man I'm not the target buyer, why am I not getting a performance 3. But whatever, the ability to go on road trips, go camping, better visibility, excellent entry/exit, all while still being QUITE fun to drive - a great combination. The Y is nearly the ultimate daily driver or single vehicle... I may end up buying UP or MPP coilovers to differentiate the car a little (I think I'd enjoy this more than the extra power of the performance). Final thing is that me saving the bit of money over the performance will enable me to buy an older ICE convertible, or fun manual car if I need to scratch the itch of engine noises and feeling connected to a vehicle (my inner car guy which will never go away).

Just my thoughts as a car guy and former model 3 owner (LR rwd, LR awd) - maybe they help someone who has never driven the Y

When I ordered my MY in the spring, the performance could be ordered with 19" wheels and it was ~1.2 second faster 0-60 (not 1.5 seconds given the rollout/no-rollout nonsense). No boost was available.

Now, you have to get the 21" staggered summer tires and lowered suspension, pay a higher delta, and with the same cost delta (assuming buying boost), be only ~0.5 - 0.6 seconds faster 0-60. Most of that speed difference is 0-20, which tears the tires. It was a harder call in the spring, but now, the boosted AWD is a clear winner to me.

Yes, a performance MY would get a couple of car length jump on me if we raced, but my days caring about that are well behind me. Oddly, from what I've seen online, they both have roughly the same trap speeds at the end of the 1/4 mile. (~11.8 @116 vs ~12.2 @ 116)

Regarding P vs non-P, I have a simple perspective as someone who enjoys enthusiast driving and cars, but still prioritizes practicality, trying to not let my emotions run amok and completely dictate my buying decisions.

I asked myself this; if the Performance (I drove both the Model 3 or Y) didn't exist, what would I have found lacking in the LR AWD versions. When I realized to myself that there really wasn't anything I missed in the LR AWD performance and looks-wise (with the proper options), except for the fact that the Performance exists, my decision was made. I also found it irritating to have to deal with the hassle of being forced to pay for 21" awkward sized wheels (on the Y), only to desperately try to get rid of them or having to buy and store a second set of wheels just to be able to go on a non-summer driving vacation in the mountains.

I ended up spending the money allocated for the Performance on FSD and the Acceleration Boost, instead. At the end of the day, nobody needs a Tesla; this is all play money.

Reactions: dale_cooper
I purchased a long range and have no regrets. Actually, I would choose the LR even if the price were the same. I much prefer the 19" tires for multiple reasons and I like having the extra range. Yesterday I took a 600 mile trip and only had to stop one to charge. Also, this LR has plenty of power for what I need, I have no desire for anything faster as the LR already blows away any car I've ever owned.

Only thing I like about the performance model is the fancy brakes and the spoiler.

Just my opinion, others disagree and that's okay.

Reactions: CO_MY
I've never regretted buying the M3 LRAWD over the other choices. Sure, it's not THE fastest, but its damn fast, and all I need. As the other poster noted, if the M3P did not exist, would I feel the LRAWD lacked something? Of course not!

As far as M3 vs MY .. my feeling is unless you are using all the space on a regular basis (once a week?), why bother with it? Sure, you might need it once or twice a year (maybe!) for a trip, but I'd rather enjoy what I feel is the better car to drive (M3) every day of the year, and maybe rent something for a long road trip (and even, then, I've never had to do that, the M3 has been fine so far).

Just my 2c.

I purchased a MY Performance back in August and if I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the LR with acceleration boost instead. When I was initially configuring my car, I had the option to get the Performance without the PUP and my plan was to put the Induction rims on it. By the time I had completed my test drive and went to place the order, they had done away with that option and forced me to get the PUP which includes the 21" Uberturbines. I figured I'd be able to put All-Season tires on it and had no idea that would not be an option for me. I guess I should have researched it further, but who would have thought that there would be exactly ONE tire option for this wheel set? I love how the car looks with the aggressive setup, but the number of times I've really exploited that extra speed is pretty small, and now I am faced with having to buy new wheels to accept a more practical tire.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
LR + acceleration boost is where it's at. That's the sweetspot.
It is interesting that the performance boost option really has made the MYP a significantly worse relative value. I was completely set on getting the MYP but now I find myself still deciding between the two but strongly leaning toward the AWD with performance boost. At a certain point the cost doesn't make sense for each of us and I think that tipping point was reached for me. That said, I'm sure there are people here who would be happy to pay $10k more .2s faster 0-60 (I'm not saying the myp is only .2 seconds faster...just that to some that would still be worth it). To each, their own.

Last edited:
No regrets whatsoever.
As has been said, $10k for a couple of seconds and some glitz. NOT.
If you want performance, GO PLAID.
I have the MODEL X BLUE RAVEN PERF LUDICROUS and it just tempts me to get into trouble. So many silly Corvettes, Hemis and Camaro's that need to be embarrassed by an SUV.

My 2021 Y LR has more than sufficient gitty up! To each their own. Rather put that $10k into Tesla Stock. The last $10k paid for my Model Y.

I've never regretted buying the M3 LRAWD over the other choices. Sure, it's not THE fastest, but its damn fast, and all I need. As the other poster noted, if the M3P did not exist, would I feel the LRAWD lacked something? Of course not!

As far as M3 vs MY .. my feeling is unless you are using all the space on a regular basis (once a week?), why bother with it? Sure, you might need it once or twice a year (maybe!) for a trip, but I'd rather enjoy what I feel is the better car to drive (M3) every day of the year, and maybe rent something for a long road trip (and even, then, I've never had to do that, the M3 has been fine so far).

Just my 2c.
The seat height of the Model Y makes for much easier entry and egress from the vehicle than the Model 3. That combined with a superior view of the road from the driver's seat and the Model Y was my only Tesla vehicle option. The increased headroom, improved back seat room/comfort and additional luggage/cargo carrying capacity of the Model Y just add up to the Model Y being a better option for me than the Model 3.

Just my 2c.
I like big butts and I cannot lie. MY has a bigger nicer ass. Its overall look is more substantial and more commanding on the road. M3 looks a bit bland and feels like something is lacking. Besides, I love the higher seating position and easier access to trunk space.

Do the model 3 performance 20” Uberturbine wheels and tires fit on the model 3 LR? I’m going to purchase some in the morning and I’m afraid they won’t fit. Thanks.

Attachments

• 47C00EC5-6F1C-4E02-BB22-3F53FE7707F8.jpeg
    47C00EC5-6F1C-4E02-BB22-3F53FE7707F8.jpeg
    905.3 KB · Views: 53
No for several reasons:

-no choice in wheels. Inductions are pretty much the desirable wheels on MY, (not uberturbines) and those aren’t selectable for MYP. At least not anymore. Have to do after-purchase trading/selling etc. to get those. Heck, some people want Geminis on an MYP but can’t have those either. Ditto for seven seats.

-If the suspension of MYP was tuned by MPP or Redwood Racing (or even UPP) it would’ve been a much better value proposition.

-No track mode. I’m sure the hardware is capable of it. Not including it in MYP removes value.

-AB gives almost the performance of a MYP but at 1/5 the price. Think about that-about halfway closer acceleration boost to an MYP, at 80% lower price. That’s a steal. It’s no wonder why so many people buy that for an LR rather than pony up an additional $8000 for the other 50%.

Do the model 3 performance 20” Uberturbine wheels and tires fit on the model 3 LR? I’m going to purchase some in the morning and I’m afraid they won’t fit. Thanks.
Yes - they will fit LR Model 3.
The stock 20" Uberturbines comes with Bluetooth TPMS sensors - make sure that your LR uses Bluetooth TPMS too.
Older Model 3s has 433 MHz sensors.
What year is your LR?

No regrets ordering the MYLR. I drove both extensively and at the time of my order the P version was almost 10k more. The LR is plenty fast off the line, faster than my 640i by over 1 sec 0-60, and that car thrilled me. For me, it came down to preferring the additional suspension travel and ground clearance. I thought the stiffer ride of the P would not be fun for long as my daily driver. Tesla suspension has vast room for improvement anyway. Upgraded brake calipers on a car that does most of its stopping using regen seemed pointless. The performance boost available for the LR for 2k cemented my decision. I would rather spend the money on Ohlins suspension and Martian wheels, front PPF, window tint, and ceramic coating, than the "upgrades" built into the performance.

Reactions: empiredown
No regrets getting the Performance model. The ride is fine as long as you understand you’re buying the sport model. Similar to a standard X3 buyer vs a X3M buyer.

While A LR with AB is fast, a performance is faster. I rarely use the acceleration but I like knowing it’s there. And I can always size down the wheels in the future if I want to cut the 0-60 down even more.

No for several reasons:

-no choice in wheels. Inductions are pretty much the desirable wheels on MY, (not uberturbines) and those aren’t selectable for MYP. At least not anymore. Have to do after-purchase trading/selling etc. to get those. Heck, some people want Geminis on an MYP but can’t have those either. Ditto for seven seats.

-If the suspension of MYP was tuned by MPP or Redwood Racing (or even UPP) it would’ve been a much better value proposition.

-No track mode. I’m sure the hardware is capable of it. Not including it in MYP removes value.

-AB gives almost the performance of a MYP but at 1/5 the price. Think about that-about halfway closer acceleration boost to an MYP, at 80% lower price. That’s a steal. It’s no wonder why so many people buy that for an LR rather than pony up an additional $8000 for the other 50%.
Recent price increases have really shrunk the price differential. The price difference between the 2 models is so small now. $7k base, but then if you have a MYLR, add $2k for AB, and then $2k for inductions.

$3k to move from the MYLR to MYP? Would be an easy decision for me if I were placing an order today.

No regrets getting the Performance model. The ride is fine as long as you understand you’re buying the sport model. Similar to a standard X3 buyer vs a X3M buyer.

While A LR with AB is fast, a performance is faster. I rarely use the acceleration but I like knowing it’s there. And I can always size down the wheels in the future if I want to cut the 0-60 down even more.

I don't think you'll find many MYP owners regretting their purchase. I've been thoroughly enjoying mine.