Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still have 100 on their safety score?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.. anyone still have 100? And actually done a decent amount of driving? I’m really hoping to get accepted for the beta.. I’ve done a bunch of driving but only managing a 98 so far.. got dinged for a forward collision warning that never happened to my knowledge 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Etalik
Well.. anyone still have 100? And actually done a decent amount of driving? I’m really hoping to get accepted for the beta.. I’ve done a bunch of driving but only managing a 98 so far.. got dinged for a forward collision warning that never happened to my knowledge 🤷🏼‍♂️
In the Teslifi.com Leader Board (visible to subscribers only), it shows about 23 owners who still got 100%. It has about 16,250 subscribers but not all bought FSD or allow tracking.

I have over a thousand miles in, and I am at 97. Unless it throws data away after seven days, thereby creating a rolling seven day count, I doubt it is possible to get to 100 if you have ever had non-perfect incident. Even the best driver in the world is going to trip the hard stop occasionally, the dipstick that pulls out in front of you, causing the hard brakes. Absolutely not your fault, but you get dinged for it.

Reactions: Etalik
I have over a thousand miles in, and I am at 97. Unless it throws data away after seven days, thereby creating a rolling seven day count, I doubt it is possible to get to 100 if you have ever had non-perfect incident. Even the best driver in the world is going to trip the hard stop occasionally, the dipstick that pulls out in front of you, causing the hard brakes. Absolutely not your fault, but you get dinged for it.
I think it rolls over after 30 days, and I've read that perfect is actually 115, but it shows 100 for anything 100+. If that is true, then it might be possible to get 100. Lots of bad data out there when you just read what other people say, though, so who knows.

The only way you can get 100pts is that you live in middle of Wyoming or New Mexico and drive on straight farm road without traffic!!! Log in 2 round trips 100pts a day and drive your other car for other trip! Dame Originally he promised 7 days now 14days and by Friday wait another 7 days delay!! I was at 99 last week and some dame truck cut in front of me and there goes my Hard Breaking, Unsafe Following and Forward Collision Warning!!! Immediate drop to 94!!! Soooooo Pissed
This Safety score in NY or SF is like using a butcher knife as a butter spreader to put butter on your sourdough bread at a Per Se or French Laundry!!! How can you drive a 670HP to 1020HP car like a Yugo !!!

Hard Braking and Unsafe following are the 2 biggest culprits for me. It is impossible to drive with 5 car lengths gap during rush hours in the Bay Area and when someone cuts in for any reason, you have no choice but to brake hard or risk a collision. Let's see ho thing progress.

Reactions: Etalik and croman
Hard Braking and Unsafe following are the 2 biggest culprits for me. It is impossible to drive with 5 car lengths gap during rush hours in the Bay Area and when someone cuts in for any reason, you have no choice but to brake hard or risk a collision. Let's see ho thing progress.
Tell me about it!!! There is no way to keep a safe distancer during traffic hours, so put on AP once I got on freeway and let AP do the hard breaking!

Hard braking sensitivity needs to be adjusted to real life conditions. Maybe if the brakes were soft and spongy like an old car from 1980. But my brakes work pretty good and it’s like a whole different way of driving after regen does it’s thing. I find myself focusing 99% on how soft I’m gonna press the brakes than my 1% checking surroundings and everything else I should do when driving lol!

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
I've figured out that full Regen on the highway is treated as hard stopping. I can't win. Chicago doesn't suffer fools and to get a 100 you actually have to drive unsafely and like a fool. Forget FSD if I have to drive poorly to get it. I've never had an accident, not a speeding ticket but I also have a 90 score because it throws FCWs for turning cars 300 yards away. It's not good at judging and the system itself isn't great at avoiding hard braking. Ironically I deactivate AP approaching stopped traffic because it brakes way too hard and abruptly instead of using full Regen and gradually slowing down.

Reactions: HELLAWATTS
You can calculate your exact safety score as follows (from Safety Score Beta):
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW): raw number per 1000 miles (max 101.9)
  • Hard Braking (HB): backward acceleration, (time > 0.3g) / (time > 0.1g) (less than 0.1g not counted) (max 7.4%)
  • Aggressive Turning (AT): lateral acceleration, (time > 0.4g) / (time > 0.2g) (less than 0.2g not counted) (max 17.1%)
  • Unsafe Following (UF): "headway", time to reach vehlcle ahead, (time < 1 second) / (time < 3 seconds) (over 3 seconds not counted, following at speeds under 50mph also not considered) (max 60%)
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagement (FAD): number of times autopilot has switched itself off for remainder of trip (after three audio warnings)
Safety Score = 115.382324 - (22.526504 * 0.682854 * 1.01495^FCW * 1.127294^HB * 1.019630^AT * 1.001444^UF * 1.317958^FAD)

I have: FCW: 0, HB: 0.7%, AT: 1.4%, UF: 2.6%, FAD: 0

I put the formula into a spreadsheet, and it gives me a score of 99.872, which matches what's displayed in the app as 99. Most of my driving is on freeways near San Francisco, and in the city of San Francisco.

I was completely mystified by the Unsafe Following score until I realized that it was the ratio of time<3sec / time<1sec. Allowing more than 3 seconds will not affect your score at all, except that if someone then cuts you off, your score will make a huge jump, because you don't have enough time at less than 3 seconds to cushion it. I was able to reduce my UF score by more than 1% in a single 25 mile drive yesterday, by following at a distance that gave me more than a second's headway, but was also clearly under 3 seconds. Similar considerations apply to the turning and braking scores. You should be able to build up a cushion against getting dinged for aggressive turning simply by going around in a circle pulling 0.3g for a few hours (have fun with that). As for braking, that's more difficult, unless you have a very long downhill grade nearby that you can use to give yourself lots of time decelerating at 0.2g.

One interesting thing about the formula is that it shows exactly how much each factor is weighted. FAD > HB > AT > FCW > UF. A score of 100 really does require getting a zero on every one of these metrics, but you can be very close to 100 and still have it shown as a 99.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman and X-pilot
Hello all! Please be sure to visit and post in this thread as well, especially after midnight on 10/8!

You can calculate your exact safety score as follows (from Safety Score Beta):
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW): raw number per 1000 miles (max 101.9)
  • Hard Braking (HB): backward acceleration, (time > 0.3g) / (time > 0.1g) (less than 0.1g not counted) (max 7.4%)
  • Aggressive Turning (AT): lateral acceleration, (time > 0.4g) / (time > 0.2g) (less than 0.2g not counted) (max 17.1%)
  • Unsafe Following (UF): "headway", time to reach vehlcle ahead, (time < 1 second) / (time < 3 seconds) (over 3 seconds not counted, following at speeds under 50mph also not considered) (max 60%)
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagement (FAD): number of times autopilot has switched itself off for remainder of trip (after three audio warnings)
Safety Score = 115.382324 - (22.526504 * 1.01495^FCW * 1.127294^HB * 1.019630^AT * 1.001444^UF * 1.317958^FAD)

I have: FCW: 0, HB: 0.7%, AT: 1.4%, UF: 2.6%, FAD: 0

I put the formula into a spreadsheet, and it gives me a score of 99.872, which matches what's displayed in the app as 99. Most of my driving is on freeways near San Francisco, and in the city of San Francisco.

I was completely mystified by the Unsafe Following score until I realized that it was the ratio of time<3sec / time<1sec. Allowing more than 3 seconds will not affect your score at all, except that if someone then cuts you off, your score will make a huge jump, because you don't have enough time at less than 3 seconds to cushion it. I was able to reduce my UF score by more than 1% in a single 25 mile drive yesterday, by following at a distance that gave me more than a second's headway, but was also clearly under 3 seconds. Similar considerations apply to the turning and braking scores. You should be able to build up a cushion against getting dinged for aggressive turning simply by going around in a circle pulling 0.3g for a few hours (have fun with that). As for braking, that's more difficult, unless you have a very long downhill grade nearby that you can use to give yourself lots of time decelerating at 0.2g.

One interesting thing about the formula is that it shows exactly how much each factor is weighted. FAD > HB > AT > FCW > UF. A score of 100 really does require getting a zero on every one of these metrics, but you can be very close to 100 and still have it shown as a 99.
I'm a bit confused. I copied and pasted your formula into a spreadsheet and replaced things as follows:
FCW: 0
HB: .007
AT: .014
UF: .026
FAD: 0

My spreadsheet returned 92.8299353681431, so I checked Safety Score Beta and noted that you typed the FCW section of the formula. I corrected it and my spreadsheet still returned 92.8299353681431. I dropped in my scores and it shows 92.8400950095569, but my app shows 99, too. I also tried using the percentages as whole numbers instead of converting them, but that unsurprisingly lowered the output. I guess maybe LibreOffice Calc doesn't calculate this correctly, but even then, it feels like there is something missing. For instance, I had 60% unsafe following on a trip that was something like 50 miles long, and my score for that trip was ~14 miles, and it was still 60% for my daily at ~28 miles, but my displayed score for the day when I had 14 miles was lower than my displayed score for the day after I got up to 28 miles. To be clear, the 0% unsafe following on the second 14 mile trip did not affect the daily percentage, but it did affect the score. This counters the goofy methods everybody keeps talking about to "safely follow" or "safely turn" in order to reduce the amount of "unsafe following" or "unsafe turning." Yes, those "tricks" may affect the percentage, but the score clearly takes something more into account.

finally got back to 99 today after a faulty FCW when no one was on the road

Think it’ll be enough to get accepted day one?

Attachments

• BFCEA2EE-2451-41DA-8443-669FCAECCBFF.png
    BFCEA2EE-2451-41DA-8443-669FCAECCBFF.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 96
I'm a bit confused. I copied and pasted your formula into a spreadsheet and replaced things as follows:
FCW: 0
HB: .007
AT: .014
UF: .026
FAD: 0

My spreadsheet returned 92.8299353681431, so I checked Safety Score Beta and noted that you typed the FCW section of the formula. I corrected it and my spreadsheet still returned 92.8299353681431. I dropped in my scores and it shows 92.8400950095569, but my app shows 99, too.
I’m guessing you may have used the aggregate numbers on the summary screen. I’m honestly not sure why they are there. The formula is applied to each individual drive, then the scores for each drive are weighted by the number of miles and a daily score is calculated. Then those daily scores are weighted by the number of miles for the day to determine the one aggregate score. Here is a pic of my simple situation for my model 3 that has barely been driven since this game started and had a single hard brake on a single drive:
AA1B21A6-16BA-4A8A-B461-DAB0E743E34D.jpeg

I have 1787 miles on my model X and this also checks out for it. The one thing I’m unsure about is at what point Tesla rounds and when they carry through more significant digits than they display.

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym
Still at 100 for now …. I’ve driven about 350 miles, which is pretty normal for me. About 10k/year.

This includes city and highway driving and a trip to Newark Airport and back.

(Based in NJ, by the way.)

Not really driving any differently than normal. Maybe a little more conscious of following distance than usual but otherwise, just driving like normal.

Attachments

• 9536A566-8EB5-4383-BF1D-B9D08312DA8D.jpeg
    9536A566-8EB5-4383-BF1D-B9D08312DA8D.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 42
98 here and I have driven over 500 miles, all in LA and OC traffic. Also got dinged on FCW and hard braking. I think if you touch the brakes it dings you. Lol. This safety score had become an obsession for me, much to the dismay of my wife. Every day when I get to work and get home I fear my score got dinged. This is maddening. But….tomorrow is Friday!

Attachments

• 57815B21-648E-413C-9F27-E74536B025F0.jpeg
    57815B21-648E-413C-9F27-E74536B025F0.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 43
98 here and I have driven over 500 miles, all in LA and OC traffic. Also got dinged on FCW and hard braking. I think if you touch the brakes it dings you. Lol. This safety score had become an obsession for me, much to the dismay of my wife. Every day when I get to work and get home I fear my score got dinged. This is maddening. But….tomorrow is Friday!
But Friday isn't "Friday at midnight" in Musk-speak, Saturday is. Considering that everything else is Saturday, I wouldn't start holding my breath any time before 0:00 PDT.