Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking maybe we could modify it to display a webpage on the Tesla's browser that could actually play the videos. I'm not sure the Zero is powerful enough for that, but the Pi 4 should be plenty powerful enough.

The marcone branch of the teslausb project will have the Pi Zero W (optionally) act as a Wifi hotspot which you can connect to, and access a CIFS share to review the videos it's stored; it works quite well. But generally I offload my videos and use the tesla_dashcam project to merge all the videos, and stash them in a directory served by my Plex server, which I can access anywhere:

upload_2019-10-4_23-31-29.png

Reactions: Kacey Green
But wouldn’t it be more convenient if you could get in your car, see the alert that there was a Sentry even, and just pull up a UI on the screen and review the videos?
Unquestionably yes, it would be. Absent that, I can remote into the Pi from my phone. I imagine eventually Tesla will realize that we should be able to use the MFD for this, but that day is not today.

The marcone branch of the teslausb project will have the Pi Zero W (optionally) act as a Wifi hotspot which you can connect to, and access a CIFS share to review the videos it's stored; it works quite well. But generally I offload my videos and use the tesla_dashcam project to merge all the videos, and stash them in a directory served by my Plex server, which I can access anywhere:

View attachment 462793

Please explain how you do that. I have emailed that feature in the conf file but I don't see the pi zero as a wifi host. Do I need to stop recording? Thanks in advance.

I'm using the buster image, plugged in to the car with a USB A to USB C cable. Just the built in SD card but I do want to use my Samsung T5 once they figure that out
Are you saying you just install the buster image then plug into the car (with the A to C cable) and the car "sees" the storage? If so, where in the filesystem is it seeing? I'm surprised if it worked so seamlessly without any further set or configuration.

Are you saying you just install the buster image then plug into the car (with the A to C cable) and the car "sees" the storage? If so, where in the filesystem is it seeing? I'm surprised if it worked so seamlessly without any further set or configuration.

no, there is a new teslausb-buster-.. image posted to marcone/teslausb a couple weeks ago. Flagged as release 2.0-beta.

I can confirm that Marcone's teslausb works on a RPI4 using the marcone/teslausb process. Download his image, flash with something like balenaEtcher - Home and then create the config file on the /boot partition. Took 10-15 minutes total time, the only difference is that the 5 LED flash didn't come up, just the 2 LED flash sequence.

Also make sure to use a USB 2.0 Type A to USB Type-C cable instead of a USB 3.1 Type A cable.

The main thing I'm trying to work out is if I want to create a pipeline for processing the RecentClips. At present, only Saved and Sentry clips are copied to the network. But I was thinking of having all RecentClips come over, then process into a single video with front, left, right, and rear and then delete the individual files.

So the Pi 4 works? Can it also act as a wifi hotspot?

I'm thinking maybe we could modify it to display a webpage on the Tesla's browser that could actually play the videos. I'm not sure the Zero is powerful enough for that, but the Pi 4 should be plenty powerful enough.

Keep in mind that the car browser won't touch any IPs in the RFC1918 range, so you'll need to work around that.

I'm having reliability issues with a Pi Zero W that I was hoping to get some help fixing. The setup went without any issues, and I'm using the latest stable release (v1.3). I do have V10 installed, although the issues were still there prior to upgrading.

Basically, the Pi zero will work for a day or so, and then it'll lock up the Tesla USB port it's plugged into. Usually happens after the vehicle goes to sleep and I wake it the next morning, etc. I know the USB port is locked up, because if I try to plug in an SSD or other USB drive there, it's no longer recognized. Once I reboot the MCU, the USB port is active again. If I try to plug the Pi zero back in, it will attempt to boot and then rapidly flashes. I am unable to ssh into it when it's in this state.

When I boot the Pi zero outside of the car, it boots no problem and I can ssh into it, etc. I've re-imaged the SD card a few times, and performed the self-updates, all with the same effect (it'll work for a day or so, and then lock up the USB port). In fact, it's sitting here plugged into my computer, peacefully giving me the two blink flash.

Vehicle is a Model 3, build date 9/19, vin 5XXXXX

Any ideas? Anyone have similar issues? Any help would be appreciated! When it works, it's great, and I'd like to not abandon the project.

Once I reboot the MCU, the USB port is active again. If I try to plug the Pi zero back in, it will attempt to boot and then rapidly flashes. I am unable to ssh into it when it's in this state.
I think the rapid flashing means that it is transferring data. If you set up any kind of phone notification, you would know it is in that state and when it has finished. I know in the past that once transfer has begun, ssh may become unresponsive until the job is done.

I think the rapid flashing means that it is transferring data. If you set up any kind of phone notification, you would know it is in that state and when it has finished. I know in the past that once transfer has begun, ssh may become unresponsive until the job is done.

That's my understanding of the rapid flashing as well. However, it never exits the transferring phase, even after an hour or two. If I then remove the pi and reboot outside of the car, it boots no problem and enters the ready stage almost immediately. And I'm still pretty wary about why the Tesla USB port becomes non-functional, until I reboot the MCU.