Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using SMB from my Asus router. cifs_version=3.0 and cifs_version=2.0 did not work for me. cifs_version=1.0 worked finally. I would suggest trying the same.

EDIT: Just saw latest post, glad you got it working.

Thanks, I've followed your post and tried a few more things but no success still.

I'm using a Synology DS716+II. It hasn't got CIFS as such, but rather SMB which I believe should support CIFS as well. I've added the line export cifs_version="2.0" to the pi config and also tried 3.0 but with the same result.

The log gives:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Verifying that the archive server 192.168.1.11 is reachable...
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: The archive server is reachable.
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Verifying that the archive share is mountable...
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmv2'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlm'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: STOP: no working combination of vers and sec mount options worked

So I'm stuck here. I've tried it wthout '/volume' in the sharename as well.

It all works fine with a local PC and shared folder in that, but I just can't get it working with the NAS.

Don't know where to go from here. Any pointers?

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
When I got home last night I decided to check some things in the browser while on my home wifi.

I found that while the browser did not appear to go through the Tesla VPN (googling "what's my IP" gave me my actual home IP), I couldn't access any IPs on my LAN via Wifi. It wouldn't time out or even act like it was loading, it just wouldn't do anything when trying to enter in various local IPs. So even if we solved the problem of it refusing to connect to Wifi that doesn't have an internet connection, I think you're going to have a hard time accessing Plex in the web browser from a Pi in your car ...

Someone had a hotspot device where they could set the IP address set it gives out and was able to connect to another device paired with the hotspot. Haven't heard back from them. I know in Windows, if you set up the hotspot under Windows, supposedly you could do some hacky stuff to change the IP address set it gives out, but haven't tried that because there is less benefit if car cannot connect to Internet-less access point. Next best thing is hope Tesla team adds function to open video file from USB drive.

Someone had a hotspot device where they could set the IP address set it gives out and was able to connect to another device paired with the hotspot. Haven't heard back from them. I know in Windows, if you set up the hotspot under Windows, supposedly you could do some hacky stuff to change the IP address set it gives out, but haven't tried that because there is less benefit if car cannot connect to Internet-less access point. Next best thing is hope Tesla team adds function to open video file from USB drive.
When I get around to it I'll actually run tcpdump / wireshark on something and try to access it from the car to see if the browser even attempts anything. I may also try to set up some DNS shenanigans so I can have my Wifi clients resolve a hostname to an IP and see if it makes any difference. I only tried to access two different things that I had the IP memorized for off the top of my head (the router and one of my wifi access points).

Well crap. Things seem fine regarding "slow usb" issues after re-imaging the card with buster beta... but the last 3 times I tried the sentry mode, i came back to the car with a few alerts on the screen and a "USB too slow" message

Have you gone through the steps they are talking about on GitHub (linked above)? Specifically adjusting the partition size and doing the firmware updates.

I went through that a week ago or so and it’s been solid since. Before that I couldn’t go a day without getting that message.

I got everything working with a 32G Kingston SD card, so then bought a 256GB Sandisk endurance card and haven't been able to get it working properly. Tried updating firmware in the Pi and the partition size increase but it doesn't get to the stage where the Cam and Music folders are created even.

If I go back to the 32GB card It's working.

Last edited:
Have you gone through the steps they are talking about on GitHub (linked above)? Specifically adjusting the partition size and doing the firmware updates.

I went through that a week ago or so and it’s been solid since. Before that I couldn’t go a day without getting that message.

I can't get rpi-update to finish.... /dev/root runs out of space. Here's what I am doing:

• Burn buster beta one-step install image to 32GB card
  • Change CAMSIZE to 24 GB (was suggested to have it less than whole disk)
  • Set SNAPSHOTS to false
  • put card in my pi and boot... let it run through the setup completely
  • reboot
  • SSH into pi
  • remount the filesystem to be writeable
  • run rpi-update
/dev/root starts out with about 500 MB free, but eventually bombs out because /dev/root is full:
Code:
 *** Updating firmware
 *** Updating kernel modules
 *** depmod 4.19.80-v7l+
 *** depmod 4.19.80-v8+
cp: error writing '//lib/modules/4.19.80+/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko': No space left on device
cp: error writing '//lib/modules/4.19.80+/kernel/lib/crc7.ko': No space left on device

EDIT: I just found the new variable in teslausb_setup_variables.conf that lets you increase /dev/root

Last edited:
I can't get rpi-update to finish.... /dev/root runs out of space. Here's what I am doing:

• Burn buster beta one-step install image to 32GB card
  • Change CAMSIZE to 24 GB (was suggested to have it less than whole disk)
  • Set SNAPSHOTS to false
  • put card in my pi and boot... let it run through the setup completely
  • reboot
  • SSH into pi
  • remount the filesystem to be writeable
  • run rpi-update
/dev/root starts out with about 500 MB free, but eventually bombs out because /dev/root is full:
Code:
 *** Updating firmware
 *** Updating kernel modules
 *** depmod 4.19.80-v7l+
 *** depmod 4.19.80-v8+
cp: error writing '//lib/modules/4.19.80+/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko': No space left on device
cp: error writing '//lib/modules/4.19.80+/kernel/lib/crc7.ko': No space left on device
I think 24GB is too big. Try setting camsize=80% or 90% instead.

Ok so here's my current attempt with my RP0.

Settings:
  • 32 GB card
  • camsize set to 24G
  • no music drive
  • snapshots disabled
  • increased root partition by 1GB
Procedure:
  • Loaded buster image from marcone's github
  • put the .conf file in /boot and let it complete the setup process
  • run rpi-update
  • run apt-get dist-upgrade
I then plugged the pi OTG port into my mac and the CAM drive appeared. I ran disk stress test with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. I am getting consistent 19 MB/s write speeds and 34 MB/s read speeds.

By my estimation (30 MB/min/cam * 4 cams) = 120 MB/min or 2 MB/s required to 'record' the camera feeds - so theoretically, I am getting about 10x what is needed. I will load this in the car tomorrow and see how it does.

80% of 32GB is 25.6 GB, so both of your suggestions would result in more than 24GB
Using the percent syntax causes the setup program to use 80% of the space available, not 80% of the entire SD Card.

marcone/teslausb
... For example, if there is 100 gigabyte of free space, then

export camsize=50%
export musicsize=10%

would allocate 50 gigabytes for camera and 10 gigabytes for music, leaving 40 gigabytes free.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to give up with this for now. I just can't get teslaUSB to work reliably, even on my 32GB card.

The Pi just seems to randomly disconnect or stop and I have to pull the USB cable and restart it. When it does work I get random stops and pauses when playing music from it. It saves video files and copies them to my NAS, but not every time. I can't get it to work at all on larger cards (64/256GB).

I've gone back to my SSD for the time being.