Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My panel is all the way in my back patio, i'd need to run a 75ft romex line to the front parking (through the attic). Do you know how hot Romex 6/3 gets if I'll be using Tesla Mobile Charger (which takes max 32A)? Thanks
NM-B (Romex) is only rated for 60C (140F). The attic in summer might get that warm, the wire would run even hotter after time charging 240V @ 32A.

Instead consider metallic clad (MC) wire, you could use MC 6/3 THHN (rated for 75 amps) or MC 8/3 THHN (rated for 55 amps). THHN is rated for 90C (194F). MC can be installed in an attic but not outside or underground. NM-B also cannot be installed outdoors or underground. MC wire is not installed in conduit; MC eliminates the need to use conduit in those applications where MC can be used.

Last edited:
Temperature derating for NM-B is a little complicated and weird, and I don't think I fully understand it, because it kind of uses two different kinds of temperature factors for the basis of it.

NM-B normally has to use that 60 degree C temperature column for the amp rating for standard use. But the individual conductors inside do have 90 degree C rated insulation, and I think that is somehow used in starting temperature derating calculations, but you can't ever end up using more than the 60 degree column.

I did find a couple of articles about it. They talk about how you have to start taking temperature derating into account where it's getting to about 135 degrees F or more, but you start from the 90 degree amp level to start reducing it by percentages.

This stuff is getting into real electrician territory to know how to apply it right, though, so I'm not going to make specific recommendations on it.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
This stuff is getting into real electrician territory to know how to apply it right, though, so I'm not going to make specific recommendations on it.
After reading multiple post on "certified electrician" installations using wrong size wiring yet arguing they are correct, it leads me to believe many out there just don't know or maybe I should say, are not familiar with EV charging that uses constant draw for extended periods . Must be tons of undersized installation out there as only a few see the forums.

Reactions: jsight and Rocky_H
After reading multiple post on "certified electrician" installations using wrong size wiring yet arguing they are correct, it leads me to believe many out there just don't know or maybe I should say, are not familiar with EV charging that uses constant draw for extended periods . Must be tons of undersized installation out there as only a few see the forums.
That is also true. Consulting with an inspector might be a good option.

Reactions: howardnj

Yeah, it seems obvious there must be loads of wall connectors with #6 Romex and 60a breakers. Of course, it's likely they will all work just fine, but it's a little scary that the professionals don't know it's wrong.

Yeah, it seems obvious there must be loads of wall connectors with #6 Romex and 60a breakers. Of course, it's likely they will all work just fine, but it's a little scary that the professionals don't know it's wrong.
Oddly enough I am one of those with 6awg Romex @ 48amp and a 60a breaker. I am located in Canada where our Romex is NMD90, not NMB like in the US , same copper wire as NMB however the insulation is slightly heavier/different and therefor rated at 75a. Point is, 6 gauge is not the issue as it can easily carry the current, insulation obviously changes the ampacity rating. https://ecat.eleknet.com/PIM_Docs/Docs/STEP_ASSETS_PDF/13560567.pdf

Legally 6awg NMB Romex is a no go however I also seriously doubt it will cause issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
NM-B (Romex) is only rated for 60C (140F). The attic in summer might get that warm, the wire would run even hotter after time charging 240V @ 32A.

I'm always curious about this, as nearly every home in America uses Romex run through the attic for just about everything else. Examples would include loads up to 30 Amps (Dryer, AC, Stove). Don't really see why Romex would be any less dangerous at 50A with properly sized wire. I myself went for Romex 4/3 with a 60A breaker and I'm not losing sleep over it, even in the hot Texas summers.

I'm always curious about this, as nearly every home in America uses Romex run through the attic for just about everything else. Examples would include loads up to 30 Amps (Dryer, AC, Stove). Don't really see why Romex would be any less dangerous at 50A with properly sized wire. I myself went for Romex 4/3 with a 60A breaker and I'm not losing sleep over it, even in the hot Texas summers.
Found this:

Wire ratings in very hot attics, e.g. Phoenix where they go to 180F?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
In the link that @jcanoe provided, it talks a bit about that.

The NM cables can be used at 90C for temperature corrections, but the circuit can only be rated using the 60C column per NEC 334.80. Another thing to consider is most of the wiring in the attic is attached the ceiling joists and underneath the insulation. You would have to consider that the temperature at that location is likely cooler, maybe around 95F to 105F if the space below is conditioned. Assuming standard 15A circuits using #14 NM, the 90C rating of copper is 25A. The temperature correction of 100F is 0.91 for 90C. 0.91 x 25A = 22.75A. No need to change the wire size. Using this data, the maximum temperature that a #14 NM copper wire could be used in to maintain 15A at 60C is 141-149F. Most ventilated attics won't reach that temperature even if the cables were exposed (not under insulation). Obviously each specific circuit should be analyzed in the same way, especially for larger circuits or continuous load circuits.

I won't go into using a #6 NM for the EV charging circuit in the US as it isn't allowed based on 2017 NEC Section 625 - Electric Vehicle Charging System requiring the circuit and overcurrent protection be sized for continuous duty and have a rating of not less than 125% of the maximum load of the equipment.

*Edit for your use case: #4 NM copper has an ampacity of 95A at 90C. To maintain the 60A at 60C rating, you could install your cable in up to 141-149F temperatures and meet the code (141-149F is a 0.65 derating at 90C - 0.65 x 95A = 61.75A).

For reference, I am a licensed professional engineer in multiple states.

Last edited:
In the link that @jcanoe provided, it talks a bit about that.

The NM cables can be used at 90C for temperature corrections, but the circuit can only be rated using the 60C column per NEC 334.80. Another thing to consider is most of the wiring in the attic is attached the ceiling joists and underneath the insulation. You would have to consider that the temperature at that location is likely cooler, maybe around 95F to 105F if the space below is conditioned. Assuming standard 15A circuits using #14 NM, the 90C rating of copper is 25A. The temperature correction of 100F is 0.91 for 90C. 0.91 x 25A = 22.75A. No need to change the wire size. Using this data, the maximum temperature that a #14 NM copper wire could be used in to maintain 15A at 60C is 141-149F. Most ventilated attics won't reach that temperature even if the cables were exposed (not under insulation). Obviously each specific circuit should be analyzed in the same way, especially for larger circuits or continuous load circuits.

I won't go into using a #6 NM for the EV charging circuit in the US as it isn't allowed based on 2017 NEC Section 625 - Electric Vehicle Charging System requiring the circuit and overcurrent protection be sized for continuous duty and have a rating of not less than 125% of the maximum load of the equipment.

*Edit for your use case: #4 NM copper has an ampacity of 95A at 90C. To maintain the 60A at 60C rating, you could install your cable in up to 141-149F temperatures and meet the code (141-149F is a 0.65 derating at 90C - 0.65 x 95A = 61.75A).

For reference, I am a licensed professional engineer in multiple states.

Thank you, this was very informative. Especially appreciate the *Edit for my use case and knowing for a fact that it's safe.

Reactions: Magnetic Flux
Since my electrician installed Southwire Simpull #6 3CU Two Ground Type NM-B wire.... It apparently is only rated for a 55AMP load. Would installing a 55AMP breaker even be an option for the tesla wall connector to recognize? Not happy that he didn't do a 60amp run as I asked originally while during a remodel, but no going back now. Anyone try this?

Since my electrician installed Southwire Simpull #6 3CU Two Ground Type NM-B wire.... It apparently is only rated for a 55AMP load. Would installing a 55AMP breaker even be an option for the tesla wall connector to recognize? Not happy that he didn't do a 60amp run as I asked originally while during a remodel, but no going back now. Anyone try this?

The WC isn’t actually detecting the breaker. It has to be told the breaker size.

In this case the options are 50 & 60 amp breakers (plus a bunch smaller). There is no 55 option.

And I don’t think there are 55a breakers, but not sure on that.

The WC isn’t actually detecting the breaker. It has to be told the breaker size.

In this case the options are 50 & 60 amp breakers (plus a bunch smaller). There is no 55 option.

And I don’t think there are 55a breakers, but not sure on that.
They are obscure, but seems they do exist interestingly enough. IDK. Not the end of the world I guess, but wasn't pleased to see the 50Amp breaker in my box and researching that I can't upgrade it even tho its #6awg rated for 90 degrees.

Since my electrician installed Southwire Simpull #6 3CU Two Ground Type NM-B wire.... It apparently is only rated for a 55AMP load. Would installing a 55AMP breaker even be an option for the tesla wall connector to recognize?
Right, the 6 gauge Romex only has a 55A rating. There generally isn't a 55A breaker, so that's Thing1. But Thing2 is that the wall connector only has some specific settings for current levels it can use. For continuous current (which this has to be treated as) you can draw 80% of the rating of the circuit. That would be 44A on a 55A circuit. But the wall connector doesn't have a setting for that. So yes, this has to go down and be set as a 50A circuit using 40A draw.

Right, the 6 gauge Romex only has a 55A rating. There generally isn't a 55A breaker, so that's Thing1. But Thing2 is that the wall connector only has some specific settings for current levels it can use. For continuous current (which this has to be treated as) you can draw 80% of the rating of the circuit. That would be 44A on a 55A circuit. But the wall connector doesn't have a setting for that. So yes, this has to go down and be set as a 50A circuit using 40A draw.
It should be fairly easy for Tesla to program the Gen3 Wall Connector with new firmware that would enable a setting for a 55 amp circuit that would max out charging at 44 amps.