Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How come?

and (not to get too personal but) what do you do at night? 😋
Haha, no worries. I sleep at night ;)

We have a good size solar setup and I like to charge our cars during the day using our solar array to minimize selling power back to the grid.

One day I will get batteries to store the excess but this will have to do for now.

last questions for the electricians in the group.

is it ok to run a second 6/3 wire through the same holes in my joists that my current 6/3 wire is in? if this is ok then adding another run of cable will be much easier vs. drilling through a handful of boards.

also any suggestions/links on non-Romex wire that I should purchase? for this second run I'm not going to wrap it around the garage so it'll only be about 50'

thanks!

tempImage7ukzF3.jpg

Last edited:
Also some backup on the subject. Is #6 Romex ok on a 60 A breaker
From the very thread you posted:

"210.19(A)(1) for branch circuits, 215.2(A)(1) for feeders both tell us that conductor minimum ampacity must be at least 100% of non-continuous load plus 125% of continuous load. For a 6AWG @ 60C that means 100% non-continuous plus 125% continuous can not exceed 55 amps if it does a larger conductor is needed."

125% of 48 amps is 60 amps. 60 amps is in excess of 55 amps. Therefore it's a no-go. You need bigger conductors or conductors that can use the 75C temperature rating (i.e. not Romex / NM-B).

IF the Wall connector had a 44 amp setting, you could use that with 6/3 NM-B as your calculated load would be less than or equal to 55 amps (125% of 44 amps = 55 amps). But it doesn't.

A better and more relevant thread from the Mike Holt forums:

Last edited:
also any suggestions/links on non-Romex wire that I should purchase? for this second run I'm not going to wrap it around the garage so it'll only be about 50'
My understanding is if you want a 60a circuit, you either need to go to a larger gauge NM-B (romex) wire or you need to do THHN which has to be in conduit. I believe something like this would be ok - https://www.amazon.com/Wirenco-Aluminum-Armored-Stranded-Conductor/dp/B09317WBJZ?th=1 - but not 100% sure.

Last edited:
My understanding is if you want a 60a circuit, you either need to go to a larger gauge NM-B (romex) wire or you need to do THHN which has to be in conduit. I believe something like this would be ok - https://www.amazon.com/Wirenco-Aluminum-Armored-Stranded-Conductor/dp/B09317WBJZ?th=1 - but not 100% sure.
That’s exactly what I end up using for my DIY 60A EVSE installs. You can’t just run THHN inside wall studs, it has to be run in conduit. Which means either PVC or metal conduit (both pains to work with), or go the easy route with MC cable as you linked to above. The only downside with MC cable is that it isn’t waterproof, so make sure to only use inside. Also there is slightly unique tradecraft with MC Cable, look up YouTube videos. But overall, it is almost as easy to use as romex, and you get to use 6 gauge rather than 4 gauge (as you would have to with romex).

last questions for the electricians in the group.

is it ok to run a second 6/3 wire through the same holes in my joists that my current 6/3 wire is in? if this is ok then adding another run of cable will be much easier vs. drilling through a handful of boards.

thanks!

View attachment 894081
Have you tried to see if another cable will fit? There doesn’t appear to be any code unless it is more than 2 in a hole that is fire or draft stopped. Also cable spacing between joists must be maintained according to manufacture specifications.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I would put the 50A breaker back and dial the HWPC down to 40 amps. This will still give you more than the 32A the Mobile provides but not the full 48A you may be hoping for. I installed 2 NEMA 14/50s in my garage and one uses THHN and the other is NM-B in conduit since it is run exposed from the junction box surface mounted up and across the garage ceiling down to the outlet on the opposite side. They are on separate 50A breakers. Been using Mobile EVSEs on both for going on 5 years with no problems.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I just installed my wall charger and used 4/3 wire as I was only going a few feet from my breaker box. The wires are thick as hell and take some serious work to bend/fit into charger wall mount. Now that I've installed one, I'm sure I could do it again in about an hour.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
Hi everyone- I just got my Tesla yay :) I am planning to run 6/3 romex cable (~70ft) with 5O Amp circuit breaker and limit the wall charger amperage. My electrical panel is at the basement on the opposite side of the garage and I need to run part of the cable outside the building (<10ft). My question is that is it OK to run it inside a conduit when the wire is outdoors? I read conflicting information about if it’s allowed to run Romex cable inside conduit or not. Thanks for the help

Hi

I'm a new tesla owner and I'm wondering if this electrical wire would be good enough for using with the Tesla Mobile Charge (install with Nema-14-50 outlet)?

Thanks
Brandon

Hi everyone- I just got my Tesla yay :) I am planning to run 6/3 romex cable (~70ft) with 5O Amp circuit breaker and limit the wall charger amperage. My electrical panel is at the basement on the opposite side of the garage and I need to run part of the cable outside the building (<10ft). My question is that is it OK to run it inside a conduit when the wire is outdoors? I read conflicting information about if it’s allowed to run Romex cable inside conduit or not. Thanks for the help
It’s generally up to the local inspector, but, running romex in conduit is ok for short distances where it is sleeved for protection. However, conduit outdoors is considered a wet location and regular romex cannot be used. I believe SER or UF can be used.

Reactions: MN-MS100D
It’s generally up to the local inspector, but, running romex in conduit is ok for short distances where it is sleeved for protection. However, conduit outdoors is considered a wet location and regular romex cannot be used. I believe SER or UF can be used.

My panel is all the way in my back patio, i'd need to run a 75ft romex line to the front parking (through the attic). Do you know how hot Romex 6/3 gets if I'll be using Tesla Mobile Charger (which takes max 32A)? Thanks