Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn’t only that. It you did use a 55A breaker, then you’d also have to set your EVSE to 44A charge rate, and most EVSEs don’t have that setting. It is either 48A or 40A charge rate to pair with the 60A and 50A breakers that are in use.

But yeah, 40A charge rate is FINE.
Actually the breaker ISN'T the problem. It would meet code to use a 60a breaker and set the EVSE to 44a charging...but you can't.

Actually the breaker ISN'T the problem. It would meet code to use a 60a breaker and set the EVSE to 44a charging...but you can't.
When did I say the breaker was the problem? honestly, you’ve now even more confused an already hopelessly confused and tangled thread.

Did you mean to reply to someone else?

Oh screw it, I’ll make it worse too: Even if you could set your EVSE to 44A, a 60A breaker would still not be compliant because the wire is not rated for 60A, correct?

Reactions: gavine
When did I say the breaker was the problem? honestly, you’ve now even more confused an already hopelessly confused and tangled thread.

Oh screw it, I’ll make it worse too: Even if you could set your EVSE to 44A, a 60A breaker would still not be compliant because the wire is not rated for 60A, correct?
I believe you are allowed to use a larger breaker if the the breaker you need doesnt exist as long as nothing on the circuit is rated higher than the wire rating. So setting an EVSE to 44A on 55A rated wire with a 60A breaker is to code but using the same equipment and wire with a 50A breaker would not meet code because the draw would be rated higher than the breaker. Not an electrician but this is my basic understanding.

I was just continuing the conversation, not criticizing your reply.

The 60a breaker is allowed. That's why people make the mistake of using 60a breakers and Romex for 48a EV charging in the first place.

Reactions: Eric33432
Hey guys, new question. I returned my 50' of 6/3 wire and bought 42' of 4/3 wire at Lowes, so i'd be compliant. Quite a bit tougher to route thru the crawlspace, but it's in and I'm ready to wired the tesla wall thingy. Which wire do i use as the ground, the white or the bare copper in the tesla thingy?

Hey guys, new question. I returned my 50' of 6/3 wire and bought 42' of 4/3 wire at Lowes, so i'd be compliant. Quite a bit tougher to route thru the crawlspace, but it's in and I'm ready to wired the tesla wall thingy. Which wire do i use as the ground, the white or the bare copper in the tesla thingy?
You only needed 4/2 for the Tesla Wall connector. Ignore the white, use the bare copper for the ground.

I used 6/3 romex with ground to Nema 14-50 industrial outlet from 50 amp breaker. Charges at 32 amps/ 30 MPH. Installed it myself. Had help from electrician friends that guided me. Works perfect. I would not do it any other way with a 220V system. The 14-50 is suppose to be wired that way. And it is about as cheap as you want to go. Don't cut corners.

Reactions: Ken43
You can ignore the white. Cap it at each end. You could get away with 4/2 but it’s impossible to find. You can use 6/2 MC, but that’s not always easy to find locally either.

You can ignore the white. Cap it at each end. You could get away with 4/2 but it’s impossible to find. You can use 6/2 MC, but that’s not always easy to find locally either.
Thx, 4/3 was easy to find, and once you get it unrolled it's not too tough to deal with. I have a 100A sub-panel, and was going to go with qty (2) 45s to feed into the top from the crawl space (i have ¼ basement where the coal shoot used to be). Would you use 1" or 1-¼" PVC conduit to feed into the top (there's already a 2" for the main and 1-¼" for a bunch of old circuits they pulled off the old fuses years ago). And BTW, i really appreciate all youts that know this stuff, i'm from an engineering background so i can do it, just need the smarts to know what's code and not code. And there are so so many 6/3 installations out there, glad i switched to the 4/3 and 60A breaker.

You only needed 4/2 for the Tesla Wall connector. Ignore the white, use the bare copper for the ground.

While can be used if you ever change it ou
Thx, 4/3 was easy to find, and once you get it unrolled it's not too tough to deal with. I have a 100A sub-panel, and was going to go with qty (2) 45s to feed into the top from the crawl space (i have ¼ basement where the coal shoot used to be). Would you use 1" or 1-¼" PVC conduit to feed into the top (there's already a 2" for the main and 1-¼" for a bunch of old circuits they pulled off the old fuses years ago). And BTW, i really appreciate all youts that know this stuff, i'm from an engineering background so i can do it, just need the smarts to know what's code and not code. And there are so so many 6/3 installations out there, glad i switched to the 4/3 and 60A breaker.

Been rocking 4/3 for over two years and appreciate the peace of mind, I'm sure you will too.

My electrician made us use SEU for my swim spa sub-panel because it had to be sleeved outdoor to get into the attic from my main panel and again back to the sub. Romex isn’t allowed in wet locations.

I know nothing about the amp ratings though.