Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with FSD try the new software update 2020.12.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got installed on my X today, but haven't given it a shot just yet with red lights and stop signs. i have really enjoy experiencing FSD in action on the highway, but not sure just yet if i would use it consistently in stop-n-go traffic.

anyone else have any experience to report since installing the update and using FSD?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
It works, but I won't use it yet after testing. Since it stops for *all* road controls (including green lights), there's a ton of nannying work for the driver.

It also limits autosteer to the speed limit while it's enabled (rather than 5 over), which means it's practically unusable in public around here.

What it's intended to do, though, it seems to do well in my testing. I believe that this will likely proceed how Navigate on Autopilot did awhile back: a few weeks from now they'll raise the limit back up, then reduce the nannying until it's much more confident.

i got installed on my X today, but haven't given it a shot just yet with red lights and stop signs. i have really enjoy experiencing FSD in action on the highway, but not sure just yet if i would use it consistently in stop-n-go traffic.

anyone else have any experience to report since installing the update and using FSD?
A lot of threads and youtube videos on this.

a) It seems to be for verification and validation. ie. does human action = computer action
b) It stops at stoplights (red or green (acknowledge to continue thru) and stop signs.

Imagine how many 1000s of verification results they are going to get in a short time. Hopefully people test it and try it on uncommon scenarios to add to the 'test bed'.

Its good for testing purpose only, I doubt many would use it like everyday. I tried it on empty roads ( lockdown ) and it worked as expected. However being on autopilot means just going straight and can't change the max speed limit. Also I felt that we need to press the accelerator pedal closer to intersection and doing it earlier when it shows "going to stop" message doesn't work.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Its good for testing purpose only, I doubt many would use it like everyday. I tried it on empty roads ( lockdown ) and it worked as expected. However being on autopilot means just going straight and can't change the max speed limit. Also I felt that we need to press the accelerator pedal closer to intersection and doing it earlier when it shows "going to stop" message doesn't work.

It works with TACC also which allows you to set the speed above posted and make turns at traffic controls.

It does allow you to go through greens when you acknowledge ("ok to go" with Ap stick) in advance (like when warning shows 600 ft in advance of stop light). If the light turns yellow after you acknowledge but prior to reaching the stop line, it will re-engage with another stop light warning, and then stop (unless you over ride that warning as well to "run the yellow").

It's fun to use when just putting around town without any traffic behind you. It feels like we are just generating a lot of feedback to Tesla for tweaking purposes, which is worth while if you have time to do it.

You have to pay even more attention (not less) while currently using this feature.

So, why on earth are they limiting the speed to the posted speed limit? At lease the 5 mph over was a good compromise.
There are some posters in other threads who believe speed limit +0 will be the norm as Tesla strives to convince regulators to support full-featured FSD. I am hoping it is just a temporary limitation to add an additional safety margin until FSD on the streets is a more mature product. Otherwise I have paid a lot of money for FSD on two cars and will seldom use it except on freeways.

So, why on earth are they limiting the speed to the posted speed limit? At lease the 5 mph over was a good compromise.
After driving with the early access version of the feature for a few hours and then with the production version on for a few days, I don't think it's a regulatory preparedness issue. Rather, I think Tesla is not yet confident enough in their driving decision thresholds and want to allow the car every bit of extra time to make a more informed decision. Even properly mapped stop lights occasionally trigger some very abrupt stopping and lots of last moment hesitation in determining the position of the stop line. With unmapped, vision-only lights, stopping often involves slamming on the brakes hard at the last moment, especially when visibility is less than ideal. Overall, I think the software was released in its current form primarily to supplement Q1 earnings through realizing additional FSD revenue. This is indirectly supported by reports of a hard internal deadline for the initial release that I've heard about from several acquaintances inside Tesla - something they also recall happening with the initial release of the smart summon feature.

Yes it works. But the current version adds to driver workload, rather than reducing it. It stops for all traffic signals, not just red ones, requiring action to proceed. Significant, but baby steps. At least you can still turn it off, by driver profile. I am afraid humans are still better at reading the minds of other drivers, than machines. The rest of this path is going to be very tricky.

I agree, it does add to driver workload. However, I am willing to help Tesla with the learning process -- unless there are too many cars behind me. I could live with 3 mph above the limit, but 0 is a pain.
After trying the shift stalk and the accelerator, I found it is easier to use the accelerator. I wait until the 200 ft warning comes up, then gently nudge the pedal. If you do it too soon, you will need to acknowledge again.

The system also understands yellow lights. One time I acknowledged too soon, and the light turned yellow before I got to the intersection and the Tesla braked rather hard. Another time the light turned yellow just as I got to the intersection and the car went through. If it had tried to stop, it would have been in the middle of the intersection.
All in all, nice progress on FSD.

Reactions: scottf200
... However, I am willing to help Tesla with the learning process -- unless there are too many cars behind me. I could live with 3 mph above the limit, but 0 is a pain. ...
You can always press the accelerator pedal in TACC or AP in between stoplights or stop signs. Then let off in time for the car to do the 'verification' / 'validation' testing they are looking for and come to a stop (or continue in the case of green).

I broke my quarantine isolation today and took my Model S for a drive to test the new "Traffic Light/Stop Signs" update. I was a bit disappointed to read beforehand that the car would stop regardless of the traffic light status since I had determined that the car was able to distinguish between red and green from the previous update where it warned the driver about running a red light. After some thought, however, the design makes a lot of sense. Tesla needs to cautious since this feature must be nearly if not totally infallible and driver confidence must be instilled if it is to be useful.
  • The slow down as you approach the stop was gradual and not likely to overly annoy any following vehicles. I particularly liked the ability to cancel the stop by a slight press of the accelerator pedal (though I need practice in doing it smoothly without a jerk) in addition to using the handle.
  • As some have observed, the stop line at some stop signs was a few feet short, necessitating creeping up to be able to see the traffic and applying the brake manually and thus turning off the cruise. (I'm not sure how to get around this problem)
  • A few times on my drive I canceled the slow down as I approached a green light only to have the light turn yellow a second or so later forcing me to stop anyway. This stop, however, was not overly abrupt and was about what I would do during normal driving. Thus, it seems, that the slow down begins a bit too early and is overly cautious. Perhaps incorporating the ability of the driver to adjust how early the process begins (somewhat like the collision warning alert settings) might be a good design feature.
Over all, I am pleased with the feature and look forward to the evolution. I love my MS and enjoy getting new features and improvements periodically. It's like getting a new car!

Works pretty good but I have not yet trained myself how to smoothly deal with the green lights. I've been using the pedal to get it to go through greens, will try the stalk next. The 0 MPH over the posted speed is ridiculous and HAS to go - or else will be too many road rage stories against Teslas.

Bizarre case failed: someone had nailed one of the short six inch traffic cones to a telephone pole (base of cone nailed to pole) and the Tesla was convinced that was a stop sign. Made me laugh - I had never noticed the traffic cone on that telephone pole before!

All in all this is a pretty good start. Fun to see each of these incremental improvements and absolutely amazing what Tesla engineers have accomplished.