Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone worried about the new assembly line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I finally placed my dual motor order a few days ago. While I'm super excited, I'll admit I am worried about getting a car built on an assembly line which itself was built in two weeks with spare equipment parts in a parking lot under a tent. Plus, the pressure to produce vehicles fast has got to be super intense there. While I'm sure they'll be able to make improvements to the line by my estimated delivery of Sept/Nov, I'm still quite a bit worried.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex and dhanson865
Not in the least.

Their biggest challenge will be heaters in the winter. That’s it. It’s not like they’re painting cars out there. It’s an *assembly* line.

I hope they build another one right next to it.

They’ll probably need a parking garage first, given that parking was already pretty much full, but still.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
Given the issues that crop up eoq for prior deliveries, rushing is a concern for quality but Tesla service centers usually do the bulk to fix that stuff. I would be careful to check your car at delivery but there is no reason the tent isn't actually producing higher quality units due to less automation.

As others have alluded in response, the human issues when so much pressure is applied worry me more than the construction overhead. And even then, it sounds like it was a sensible and creative solution to the ramp challenge.

There are plenty of permanent structures smaller and more flimsy than that roof. It's far from a tent imo.

I'm more amazed that they ran out of space already.

I'm amazed to think that Elon Musk and Co. didn't know they'd run out of space. Or, that they didn't need the 3rd line to get to 5k / week... ?

These in fact amaze me so much that I don't bother thinking about them (as being true) at all ;)

I am confident the planning was always in place, the finer details eg. recycling conveyors, testing robots beyond manufacturer specs, are more spontaneous but the bigger plans are less so. The structure for instance could be approved as permanent.

The amazing thing that everyone in the media and the auto industry seem to be missing is that the car appears to genuinely be designed for manufacture. "Re-tooling" a line in the industry takes months / years. Building a new one in weeks ? They literally don't know what to say.

Well I finally placed my dual motor order a few days ago. While I'm super excited, I'll admit I am worried about getting a car built on an assembly line which itself was built in two weeks with spare equipment parts in a parking lot under a tent. Plus, the pressure to produce vehicles fast has got to be super intense there. While I'm sure they'll be able to make improvements to the line by my estimated delivery of Sept/Nov, I'm still quite a bit worried.

If you’re worried about their build process, why would you drop $50k on a car ?

If you’re worried about their build process, why would you drop $50k on a car ?
This is a fair question. I'm mostly worried about the build quality of my individual car. How do I justify having this yet still pulling the trigger on ordering a 60K car? That I've never driven and only sat in briefly in a showroom.

Because the Model 3 is an "early Kia" body with a magical unicorn chassis. The body is something of a crapshoot, maybe you get one put together well, not so much. The odds are improving for the former but the way Tesla is going about this they're shaking out process and even design on live, shipping production. They're on a constant improvement cycle which makes it easier to swallow that risk to get the magical unicorn chassis.

Following from that, to answer the OP's question, I'm hoping my car rolls out from the "tent" because that's their newest line and so should incorporate all the stuff they've learned so far about assembling a better body.

This is a fair question. I'm mostly worried about the build quality of my individual car. How do I justify having this yet still pulling the trigger on ordering a 60K car? That I've never driven and only sat in briefly in a showroom.

Because the Model 3 is an "early Kia" body with a magical unicorn chassis. The body is something of a crapshoot, maybe you get one put together well, maybe you don't. The odds are improving for the former but the way Tesla is going about this they're shaking out process and even design on live, shipping production. They're on a constant improvement cycle.

But what that means, to answer the OP's question, is I'm hoping my car rolls out from the "tent" because that's their newest line and so should incorporate all the stuff they've learned so far.

I haven’t seen or read anything to suggest the build quality is a crapshoot.
That’s just not the case, and comments like that, are what starts false rumors. That’s what the media does on a regular basis.
Don’t be like the media my friend.

There have been build issues, but no more or less than any other car manufacurer on their first production.
No one makes comments about other car manufacturers being a crap shoot. ...

I’ve owned many cars over the years, and if the model 3 is a crapshoot, then so is every other car I’ve ever owned.
I’ve had more problems with BMW’s, Honda’s, Ford’s, and the list goes on, than I’ve ever seen or read from new owners of the model 3.
Even with the first production year.

Why are there so many people focused on creating drama and problems with this company. ?