Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything wrong with a few jack-rabbit starts on a brand new S, or is there a break-in period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The very first thing the testing crew does with every new Tesla that comes off the assembly line is take it out back to the test track and hammer it.

You absolutely will not hurt it.

As mentioned, the only things you can hurt are things other than the car -- your vestibular system, phone and other loose accessories, passenger's wits, your wallet from the tickets, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Mickie
Careful there; if Elon hears you've been saying things like this you may receive an unwelcome knock on your door
in the middle of the night ;)

Well, the Tesla is fun to drive, but my Smart ED gives it a good run from 0-50 km/h, after 50, it's all over for the Smart, but given that I only commute in it on city streets, I don't need horsepower, torque is king in the city.

SO : rumour has it the new Smart Electric for 2017 will have 240 nm of torque and 1000 kg curb weight.
That compares to our 2013 Tesla S85 at 440 nm and 2100 kg.

My 2013 Smart ED pulls hard with only 130 nm, having almost double the torque in the refreshed Smart will make those starts even more fun... Let's hope the rumour is true.

Ok, so! My best friend met me at the service center as I was giving her the thrice over (wife took pictures of me laying on the floor confirming battery size, for example lol). Once the paperwork, swag bag (love the mug) and all that was buttoned up, we headed back. Did I mention, said best friend has a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8--it was time for a soft benchmark. :D

We caught a light, side by side. Told him to throw his beast in track mode, all that. Light turned green... His motor sounded wonderful, equally the same did his front end look in my rear view mirror :cool:

I had him by quite a few car lengths before we had to let off. I'm thoroughly in love.

The main reasons to be somewhat gentle the first 300 miles are the tires and driver familiarity. The tires still have mold release and undried mounting lubricant, and you don't want a "Watch this" incident with your new car. There is no break in for electric motors.

By tomorrow, his motor won't be sounding wonderful anymore. Nor will any other motor.

:cool:

I love, and now much prefer, the turbine whine of the motor ... probably have to own the car for a few Jack Rabbit days before you notice it though ...

Is it detrimental to the ...

... driver? :p

I like Robert Llewllyn's reaction on his Fully Charged channel using Insane mode - 1m30s in - which he refers to as 'roadborne Tourettes' !

He's also done a video of a Ludicrous test drive - he managed not to swear that time!! - 1m20s in

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
There may be a benefit from a break in period for the trans axle. It's still steel gears in an oil bath so some wear should be expected to smooth off contact surfaces and any rough edges.

In my previous cars with manual transmission I would dump the original transmission and diff oil after 10,000 km and replace with fresh synthetic gear oil. After that the same oil ran for the life of the vehicle.

With high torque there is also high loading on gears. It's a piece of old technology that still exists in an EV.

Reactions: jaguar36
I was thinking this very same thing. When I pick up my S later this month I probably will baby it a bit. New car habit is to ease it into life :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, nevermind. Jackrabbits the first mile probably :) Just cannot help it. I consider my wife's Lexus a rental (it's a lease) and drive it hard. SHe HATES when I drive her car :)

Maybe the dual motors are a little easier on tires.
That's pretty much all I think about, tires. So far AWD has been amazing at nearly perfect tire wear without needing rotation, 30k kms and 1 year so far.

I think about tires at every acceleration, every swift maneuver* etc. they are expensive to replace. Other than that, it does not seem that "babying" your Model S/X will give it any less possibility of the "common causes" of possible failures.

"Wear and tear" is something to consider to be sure on suspension and tires -- and take care of the battery (and 12V) -- but not much else.

Maybe mostly be careful for the stuff in your car ? :p

* Only if I and all around are safer and happier for the maneuver.

PS I am getting better at, and at spelling maneuver with Model S.

Last edited: