Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 == $8000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I thought they were upping the cost of AP from $2500 to $3000 for AP 2.0. Can't believe it is up to $8000 if you want full self driving support ($10,000 if you enable after purchase)

What?! If they can do full autonomy for $8k that would be absolutely freaking amazing! I've been thinking $25k would be transformational. $8k would be fantastic for people on lower incomes, while actually being less transformational for higher earners as more people would be able to afford cars with Autopilot.

Reactions: DIL and calisnow
Or will you have to pay $4k for being after the order? (Giving up half of your savings?)

As someone with a car about to go into production, my fever dream is that they give us the full AP self-driving features as a "sorry" for the fact that when we first get our cars, the AP we thought we ordered won't work for a while. They expect December to get AP 1.0 back into the cars, but this is Elon time, so there's a real possibility that I'll have a car with no AP for months even though when I paid for it I expected it to be there on day one.

Yes, I know this will never happen.

I also don't know who will pay the $3K for full self-driving features right now. Even Tesla believes it's a year away. Wonder what percentage will pay $3K now and just let that sit in Tesla's coffers rather than wait and see what it's like before shelling out $4K (or some other amount as Tesla changes prices all the time). At that point you might as well use the $3K for Tesla stock, because if it really works, TSLA will be up more than 30% once they have the world's first self driving car.

I also don't know who will pay the $3K for full self-driving features right now. Even Tesla believes it's a year away. Wonder what percentage will pay $3K now and just let that sit in Tesla's coffers rather than wait and see what it's like before shelling out $4K (or some other amount as Tesla changes prices all the time). At that point you might as well use the $3K for Tesla stock, because if it really works, TSLA will be up more than 30% once they have the world's first self driving car.

How many people paid for AP1 about a year before they could use it? After all it saves you $1,000 to pay early. Of course maybe you could invest the $3,000 and make more than a 25% profit in a year? :)

How many people paid for AP1 about a year before they could use it? After all it saves you $1,000 to pay early. Of course maybe you could invest the $3,000 and make more than a 25% profit in a year? :)

I had AP1 for 4-5 months without AP, but I didn't feel cheated because I had TACC during that entire time. To me TACC was 80% of what I wanted, and I wasn't the least bit worried about getting cheated.

If I was to buy now I would gladly pay the $5K because you're getting pretty insane levels of computing power, cameras, and sensors with it. I'd feel a bit guilty not paying for it to be honest. I would pay it knowing it would be at least 3-6 months before I really got any use out of it.

I likely wouldn't get the $3K package and I would invest that money into NVidia. Then I'd wait to see how the SW developed, and how the regulatory situation played out.

The Model 3 won't need to use the same expensive computer because Nvidia will have something smaller and cheaper by the time the Model 3 is released. They won't need to resort to a $1200 TitanX GPU.

As to investing I'm pretty confident in Nvidia, but if you can get me 25% per year I'll gladly invest my money through you.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Man I thought they were upping the cost of AP from $2500 to $3000 for AP 2.0. Can't believe it is up to $8000 if you want full self driving support ($10,000 if you enable after purchase)
small price to pay considering your car can turn into an autonomous Uber and makes money for you. You got a slave computer driver forever for 8000 bucks that makes you money!

Reactions: Yuri_G