TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP 2.0 == $8000

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MikeyJS, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MikeyJS

MikeyJS Member

Man I thought they were upping the cost of AP from $2500 to $3000 for AP 2.0. Can't believe it is up to $8000 if you want full self driving support ($10,000 if you enable after purchase)

• Funny x 1
  2. frebay

frebay Member

Cheaper than a chauffeur.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 4
  3. zambono

zambono Active Member

Takes the sting away from those who purchased a recent vehicle.

4. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

I'm wondering what they are going to do with my order that isn't in production yet.

• Like x 2
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But how are they handling this for orders already placed where they paid for AP1? Do they get Enhanced Autopilot at no extra cost? (saving $2,000.)

• Like x 1
  6. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

Will gladly pay for it in the future when it is fully implemented!

7. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

Then $3K more for level 5

8. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Yep,
    I jumped the gun with my post

9. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

My guess is that you saved $2K by paying $3K instead of $5K for advanced autopilot, but will have to enable the $3K option? I'm sure we'll find out soon.

10. MP3Mike

Or will you have to pay $4k for being after the order? (Giving up half of your savings?)

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

What?! If they can do full autonomy for $8k that would be absolutely freaking amazing! I've been thinking $25k would be transformational. $8k would be fantastic for people on lower incomes, while actually being less transformational for higher earners as more people would be able to afford cars with Autopilot.

• Like x 2
  12. xG35

xG35 Member

$10,000 to never drive to work again...

So if you keep the car for 5 years.. it is $5.50/day or $2.75/way ... i take that...

Have you seen the price of London underground?

• Like x 4
  13. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

What is amazing is they can do it with a normal looking car without some stupid clown hat like the Google car. With Tesla mass producing an autonomous car, I wonder if Google will just give up being so far behind.

14. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

As someone with a car about to go into production, my fever dream is that they give us the full AP self-driving features as a "sorry" for the fact that when we first get our cars, the AP we thought we ordered won't work for a while. They expect December to get AP 1.0 back into the cars, but this is Elon time, so there's a real possibility that I'll have a car with no AP for months even though when I paid for it I expected it to be there on day one.

Yes, I know this will never happen.

I also don't know who will pay the $3K for full self-driving features right now. Even Tesla believes it's a year away. Wonder what percentage will pay $3K now and just let that sit in Tesla's coffers rather than wait and see what it's like before shelling out $4K (or some other amount as Tesla changes prices all the time). At that point you might as well use the $3K for Tesla stock, because if it really works, TSLA will be up more than 30% once they have the world's first self driving car.

15. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#15 Canuck, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    It's going to be a much harder hit for Model 3 purchasers to come up with than S/X purchasers. It will be interesting to see how they price it for the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  16. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

You have a water cooled super computer and 3 or 7 more cameras in your vehicle. Of course it's $8k.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. MP3Mike

How many people paid for AP1 about a year before they could use it? After all it saves you $1,000 to pay early. Of course maybe you could invest the $3,000 and make more than a 25% profit in a year? :)

18. outie

outie Active Member

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I had AP1 for 4-5 months without AP, but I didn't feel cheated because I had TACC during that entire time. To me TACC was 80% of what I wanted, and I wasn't the least bit worried about getting cheated.

If I was to buy now I would gladly pay the $5K because you're getting pretty insane levels of computing power, cameras, and sensors with it. I'd feel a bit guilty not paying for it to be honest. I would pay it knowing it would be at least 3-6 months before I really got any use out of it.

I likely wouldn't get the $3K package and I would invest that money into NVidia. Then I'd wait to see how the SW developed, and how the regulatory situation played out.

The Model 3 won't need to use the same expensive computer because Nvidia will have something smaller and cheaper by the time the Model 3 is released. They won't need to resort to a $1200 TitanX GPU.

As to investing I'm pretty confident in Nvidia, but if you can get me 25% per year I'll gladly invest my money through you.

• Like x 1
  20. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

small price to pay considering your car can turn into an autonomous Uber and makes money for you. You got a slave computer driver forever for 8000 bucks that makes you money!

• Like x 1