Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Following Distance on Setting 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...seems to keep my car so much further back than before. When I first got my car about a year ago I distinctly recall feeling the need to click it up to "2" or higher on occasion because it seemed like I was following too close sometimes on "1". But now AP keeps the car far enough back at times that it allows too many people to cut in front of me, especially when traffic is bunching up and moving slow like during rush hour on the freeway. I wonder if others have noticed this and, more importantly, after which update?

Reactions: Helmuth
That’s unfortunate to hear. I use setting 1 in Dallas area traffic and even that isn’t quite close enough in this crazy traffic. It’s very aggressive driving here and people will speed around you and get irritated. Or cut in on you. I only use 2-3 when out on interstate for long drives.

set 1 = 3 Lengths
set 2 = 3 1/2 Lengths
set 3 = 3 3/4 Lengths
set 4 = 4 Lengths
set 5 = 5 Lengths
set 6 = 6 or 7 Lengths
set 7 = anywhere from 6 to 9 Lengths
Is this just your observations? Or are you quoting this as a reference somewhere?
It’s been my experience that it is a speed and distance based setting. In other words bumper to bumper slow moving traffic is very different follow distance than 80 MPH distance.

Reactions: drklain
Same. I remember sitting in my friend's Model 3 and thinking "wow you need to use the screen to change following distance?", because I used to have to adjust it frequently. 1 in stop and go traffic, but then 2-3 in free-flowing traffic, or sometimes occasionally 4-5 if I wanted to keep a bit wider gap on an open highway. Now I just keep it on 1 all day every day (and wish it would be a bit closer in stop and go).

Reactions: quickstrike12
Is this just your observations? Or are you quoting this as a reference somewhere?
It’s been my experience that it is a speed and distance based setting. In other words bumper to bumper slow moving traffic is very different follow distance than 80 MPH distance.

From the manual: hint (it’s a time distance NOT a physical number of cars distance)

image.jpg

Last edited:
For mine, AP1 2019.8.3, I noticed that when set to distance 1 it will vary depending on if there is a car in front of the following car. When the radar can "see" two cars the distance is farther vs. When it can only see one car.

AP1 here as well, but I’m on 2018.50. We are driving from NorCal to SoCal for spring break; maybe I won’t hit update if I get it before then.
I am very interested to know if you received blind spot warning on 2019 software with AP1?

I thought every click meant a 1/2 second follow from the car in front:

On 1 - 0.5 second behind
On 7 - 3.5 seconds behind