Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP lane position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand that AP is centring the car in the middle on a motorway but for normal roads it IMHO doesn’t make sense. I always feel that is too far to the left as I prefer the car to be just off centre to the right. The reason for that is that if we e.g. have 50 cm each side when the car is perfectly centred we would actually have 1m gap between cars on different lanes. I prefer to position the car relative to the complete width of the two lanes. So in this case I would e.g. leave a 60cm gap on the left which would still give a 80 cm gap in the middle.

I can understand that AP is centring the car in the middle on a motorway but for normal roads it IMHO doesn’t make sense. I always feel that is too far to the left as I prefer the car to be just off centre to the right. The reason for that is that if we e.g. have 50 cm each side when the car is perfectly centred we would actually have 1m gap between cars on different lanes. I prefer to position the car relative to the complete width of the two lanes. So in this case I would e.g. leave a 60cm gap on the left which would still give a 80 cm gap in the middle.

I suppose the excuse is that AP isn't supposed to be used on "normal" roads (yet). At some point it's going to have to inherit some of the new FSD cleverness to vary its behaviour for different circumstances. It doesn't position the car anything like I would choose to do and that creates an air of tension that negates any relaxed benefit of the car doing most of the work. It would be the same if someone was driving me ... if they are not driving lines that look like they are making sensible use of the available road space then I'm on edge, waiting for them to clip a pothole, a kerb or another vehicle.

Reactions: hgmichna
Whenever I've used AP on an A road I've felt it's getting too close to the kerb, but maybe that's just me worrying about the alloys getting destroyed!
But I agree it's still not really suitable for UK roads. Not even for our motorways If I'm honest.

... It would be the same if someone was driving me ... if they are not driving lines that look like they are making sensible use of the available road space then I'm on edge, waiting for them to clip a pothole, a kerb or another vehicle.
That’s exactly what happens when my other half is driving and I am in the passenger seat. She positions the car in the middle of the lane (if not a bit closer to the left) as well which often gets her very close to the curb on the left. I am always on edge when she drives- which she doesn’t exactly appreciates ;-)

Reactions: Mathmos
As this is the UK and Ireland forum I hope everyone knows to drive on the left, right hand drive car.
in continent people drive on the right which is wrong while in UK people drive on the left which is right.

200.gif

Sterling is in Scotland which (for now) is in the UK.
No, Stirling is in Scotland...

But to return to topic; I have not noticed the car moving over when there is something close to my lane. I drove around 300 miles on motorways with AP this week & noticed I was much closer than I'd like to lorries in the next lane while passing. The car made no effort (that I noticed) to move away & stayed squarely in the centre of the lane.

It does move, but I've found it to be quite subtle. I don't worry about it.. the car knows how much room it needs.

When I move over a bit to give more allowances for those in neighbouring lanes, it's not because I know what room I need it's because I'm worried others don't.

I think the car will need to allow for these humans it has to share the road with.